Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default Just Got Mini9. Whats the first things i should do? - 12-27-2008, 07:13 PM

Hello Please Help me...
I just recieved my first mini9 today.
What things shoukld i do to my mini to make it run faster, programs i dont need.

I will be using microsoft office (word, powerpoint, excel)
i will be using skype
i will be using some dvd player? divix also?

what should i do.

Thank you
big2potter
  (#2) Old
Administrator

Default Re: Just Got Mini9. Whats the first things i should do? - 12-27-2008, 08:45 PM

First thing to do to make it run faster is to uncompress the disk. Right click on C in My Computer, select Properties, and uncheck the box "Compress this drive to save disk space". If "Index this drive" is also checked, uncheck that. Then click OK.

The uncompress process may take a long time (potentially a couple of hours.)

After that, you may want to uninstall or prevent from starting the Dell Video Chat program. I'd then replace the McAfee trialware with Norton Internet Security 2009.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#3) Old

Default Re: Just Got Mini9. Whats the first things i should do? - 12-27-2008, 09:06 PM

First thing I did was reinstall with a thin version of XP. After that found the portable versions of my commonly used apps and install those. Then finally last bit was to install Hamachi for vpn access to my home network.
  (#4) Old

Default Re: Just Got Mini9. Whats the first things i should do? - 12-28-2008, 01:22 AM

Why uninstall Dell Video chat? It seems like it's fun. Does it take up a lot of space or something?
  (#5) Old
Administrator

Default Re: Just Got Mini9. Whats the first things i should do? - 12-28-2008, 01:25 AM

If you use it, then fine. I don't use it. I have no idea how much space it takes. There aren't a lot of "extra" apps installed on the Mini. Oh, I suppose if you're going to install Office, then definitely remove MS Works.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#6) Old

Default Re: Just Got Mini9. Whats the first things i should do? - 12-28-2008, 04:37 PM

if your going to use Outlook, google steps to speed it up. There's lots of tweaks for Outlook and it makes the difference between running well and being unuseable.

« Loading Office from SD card | Cheapest deal on Dell Mini 9 in the UK? »