Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default New !0v owner - 02-25-2010, 05:53 AM

Hello everyone,

I'm a proud owner of a new 10v as of about a week ago. I have already got it set up to dual boot Win7 and Snow Leopard. I have to say this thing rocks and my friends are really jealous. I think one of them has decided to purchase one too.

I have been reading the forum for a couple of weeks now and i have a question. Somewhere in all of my reading and following links to other sites, I ran across a website that was sort of like a "one-stop" place to download most of the popular free applications. I inadvertantly forgot to bookmark the page and my browser is set to clear my history, cache, and cookies on exit. Is there anyone here that might know of the website I am talking about? It seemed like a great place to go for quick system setups.

Thanks,

karlman
  (#2) Old
Administrator

Default 02-25-2010, 02:36 PM

For Windows or OS X? For Windows, downloads.com is popular. Not everything there is free, but it is a trustworthy site. Not every site with downloads is safe.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#3) Old

Default 02-25-2010, 03:36 PM

Sorry, I forgot to specify that it was a windows site. Basically it had a list of the most popular apps (browsers, AV, chat, open office etc). All you you had to do was check off the things you wanted and it generated a custom install with only a single download. I tried it out and was really surprised at how well it worked. I just forgot to bookmark it before I closed my browser.
  (#4) Old

Send a message via ICQ to jcoll81 Send a message via AIM to jcoll81 Send a message via Skype™ to jcoll81
Default 02-25-2010, 08:21 PM

I believe this may be what you are talking about. I used it after a Win7 install and everything worked fine. It makes a zip file with all of the setup files for the chosen programs.

Ninite Easy PC Setup - Download/Install Multiple Programs At Once

Dell Mini 10v | 1gb | 120gb HDD | OSX 10.6.2

(#5) Old

Send a message via AIM to jdcnosse Send a message via MSN to jdcnosse Send a message via Yahoo to jdcnosse
Default 02-25-2010, 08:51 PM

That is pretty cool! I wonder if they can determine between 32-bit and 64-bit versions of the programs...I have a 64-bit machine...

Custom-built | AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600 | 2GB RAM | 1.4TB total HDD space | ATI Radeon HD 4650 | Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
  (#6) Old

Default 02-25-2010, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoll81 View Post
I believe this may be what you are talking about. I used it after a Win7 install and everything worked fine. It makes a zip file with all of the setup files for the chosen programs.

Ninite Easy PC Setup - Download/Install Multiple Programs At Once

YES!! That was it! Thanks so much. Bookmarked it this time

---------- Post added at 10:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:14 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcnosse View Post
That is pretty cool! I wonder if they can determine between 32-bit and 64-bit versions of the programs...I have a 64-bit machine...

According to the site, it appears that it can:

"Ninite checks your PC's language and 64-bit support
to install the latest, best version of each program."

« BroadCom BCM70012 in a mini 10v? | Newb needs some help - Mini10 performance improvements »