Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default Newb needs some help - Mini10 performance improvements - 02-23-2010, 12:42 AM

I'm looking for some general advice to improve the performance of my wife's Mini10. I upgraded to 2GB ram right after buying, long before I found this forum. However, it's just too slow/quirky for her. 95% of her use is Firefox (WinXP) surfing the internet with a little Word/Excel use mixed in.

Any suggestions on improving the performance? WinXP features and plugins I can uninstall? Bios or overclocking? I'm a little disappointed that this thing seems to bog down at times just thinking so she can input text into a web form. I'm not sure if it's having trouble with massive Java or Flash plugins at times, but I expected better from this computer. I didn't see a guide that covered general performance improvements or recommendations for newbs.

I see a lot of talk about installing Mac OS on these. I'll do some reading tonight, but in general, do these hackintoshes perform well?
  (#2) Old

Default 02-23-2010, 01:20 AM

Firefox, even without add ons is not the best on minis. I have firefox as my main browser on a quad core and it gets bogged down. I cannot use it on my mini.
  (#3) Old

Default 02-23-2010, 01:52 AM

What browsers do you all recommend?
  (#4) Old
Administrator

Default 02-23-2010, 02:06 AM

I use Firefox and it's fine. I can't imagine what would be better.

You will not gain any performance by switching to Mac OS.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#5) Old

Default 02-23-2010, 02:06 AM

Google Chrome is pretty good...if you're going to use Firefox I would look at the following article: Firefox about:config tweak | Gatzet.com

Also, what antivirus are you running? McAfee would bog down my desktop until i removed it and installed avast.....

At the end of the day though, these are only netbooks and if your wife is the type that likes to keep all windows open then that will make for reduced performance..

10v | OSX 10.6.2 | Win7 | N270 | 2gb RAM
  (#6) Old

Default 02-24-2010, 02:25 PM

For speed, Chrome and Opera both beat FireFox. Chrome is just super slim, at this point, as long as you don't load up a bunch of extensions. Opera actually allows you to set it up to use proxy browsing like they do with Opera Mini on cellphones. This gives a pretty significant speed boost.

Personally, I have all three on my a90, but still find myself using FireFox almost exclusively. What can I say? I'll take my extensions over a little speed boost.

Vostro a90 | 0.3mp | 16GB | 1GB RAM | Windows XP
Dell Mini 9 | 0.3mp | 8GB | 1GB RAM | Windows XP
  (#7) Old
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to rrfranczak3 Send a message via MSN to rrfranczak3 Send a message via Yahoo to rrfranczak3
Cool 02-25-2010, 02:13 AM

I think FF is the best, I have used it for years ever since they scraped Netscape and it runs great on my Mini, I dont why some say its slow, I speeds right along on my Mini, just as fast on my 3.2ghz HP laptop and both my servers

Dell Mini 10 (Obsidian Black 1010), 2gb RAM, 1.66ghz 533mhz FSB (Z530) processor, A10 BIOS, 1 Terabyte (1000 GB) WD Scorpio Blue Hard Drive (5400rpm), Intel GMA 500 Integrated Graphics, TV Tuner, Bluetooth 2.1 module with EDR, 1.3mp Camera, 1366x768 HD Screen, Wireless 1510 b/g/n mini card, 6 cell (56WHr) Battery, 4gb SDHC, 64gb Flashdrive, Targus Netbook Chillpad, Targus Sport Case, Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (500gb)/Windows 8.1 (500gb) (Dual Boot)

iPad 4 (64gb) w/Retina,Targus Versavu Case
  (#8) Old
Guru

Default 02-25-2010, 03:13 AM

I think Firefox extensions to block Flash and JavaScript help browsing speed. I use the NoScript and Adblock Firefox addons.

I do have to tell NoScript to allow JavaScript to get many pages on the Internet to work, but not loading Flash except when needed still improves performance on those pages.

Mini 9 | Intel 5100 Wifi | Ubuntu 10.04 Netbook
Mini 1012 | SSD | Intel 6200 Wifi | Ubuntu 11.10 64bit
  (#9) Old

Send a message via AIM to jdcnosse Send a message via MSN to jdcnosse Send a message via Yahoo to jdcnosse
Default 02-26-2010, 07:36 PM

I'm with Lunasin92x, if you use Firefox use those about:config tweaks. Otherwise I'd say Chrome is probably faster than Firefox, but Firefox has a crapload more extensions than Chrome (at least from what I know). I'd take my Firefox over Chrome for regular browsing, but if Chrome was the only one available it's still okay to use. And it's better than IE.

Custom-built | AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600 | 2GB RAM | 1.4TB total HDD space | ATI Radeon HD 4650 | Windows 7 Pro 64-bit

« New !0v owner | How to install XP when SL is already installed »