Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default SD card classes - 12-27-2008, 03:04 PM

Is the class of the SD important? I read where everyone mentions class 6? Why is that so important isn't faster better? If I added a 16 gb class 6 card would the dell pick it up as added memory? If not is there a way of doing it so that the overall storage is doubled? Thanks Happy New Year to all.
  (#2) Old

Location: Originally Ganinesville, Fl but currently Tokyo, Japan
Default Re: SD card classes - 12-27-2008, 03:16 PM

Yes, the class 6 is faster. You will do well with extra. If you are running windows and I believe ubuntu that all of the sdhc cards will work and register as working memory.
If you are running OS X then you have several cards that will not work however, we are slowly but surely progressing in that department.
  (#3) Old

Default Re: SD card classes - 12-27-2008, 04:58 PM

First, class 6 is the fastest official speed classification for SDHC cards, which is why those are recommended. Use Google to find out more about this.

Second, SD or SDHC cards are not seen as memory, they are seen as drives. The Mini 9 is able to handle 16GB SDHC cards, and ought to be able to handle 32GB ones when they become readily available.

Black Mini 9 2GB/64GB - XP
White Mini 9 2GB/4GB - UNR 9.10
  (#4) Old
Guru

Send a message via AIM to UnaClocker Send a message via Yahoo to UnaClocker
Default Re: SD card classes - 12-31-2008, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix.stu
Yes, the class 6 is faster. You will do well with extra. If you are running windows and I believe ubuntu that all of the sdhc cards will work and register as working memory.
If you are running OS X then you have several cards that will not work however, we are slowly but surely progressing in that department.
Update.. All SD and SDHC cards work fine in OS X now.. We have some damn fine people in these forums, writing drivers where none existed before.

Tired of wondering if your Mini9 is doing ANYTHING? - Add a HDD Activity LED
  (#5) Old

Default Re: SD card classes - 01-02-2009, 11:43 AM

A class 6 card can be written to at 6MB per second which is currently the fastest speed available. It's worth the small premium over a slower card if you are using it in your Dell mini.

Everything's Blue, Everything's Blue In This World, All Fuzzy, Spilling Out Of My Head.
  (#6) Old
Guru

Send a message via AIM to UnaClocker Send a message via Yahoo to UnaClocker
Default Re: SD card classes - 01-02-2009, 05:05 PM

SanDisk "Extreme III" cards are rated at 30MB/sec.. If they're still called class 6, it kind of defeats the point of having class numbers.. heh.. Keep in mind, our SD slots peg at 12.5MB/sec, regardless of which OS you are using. Seems to be a hardware limitation.

Tired of wondering if your Mini9 is doing ANYTHING? - Add a HDD Activity LED
  (#7) Old

Default Re: SD card classes - 01-02-2009, 08:15 PM

I'm using an extreme 3 in my netbook at the moment. I didn't know that they were that quick

Sadly the one I have is only a 2GB card as I'm waiting for a 16GB card in the mail.

Everything's Blue, Everything's Blue In This World, All Fuzzy, Spilling Out Of My Head.
  (#8) Old

Default Re: SD card classes - 01-03-2009, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnaClocker
SanDisk "Extreme III" cards are rated at 30MB/sec.. If they're still called class 6, it kind of defeats the point of having class numbers.. heh.. Keep in mind, our SD slots peg at 12.5MB/sec, regardless of which OS you are using. Seems to be a hardware limitation.
Care needs to be applied here. The reason for the classes is that they are measused using a defined, standardized, procedure. This was in response to claims of extreme performance with regular SD cards which applied only in extremely limited conditions and could not be compared between brands - or even between cards of the same brand. Just because Sandisk claim their Extreme III cards have a 30MB/sec speed doesn't actually mean they are faster than a class 6 card (although they may be). It does however allow them to charge an exorbitant price for them!

Black Mini 9 2GB/64GB - XP
White Mini 9 2GB/4GB - UNR 9.10
  (#9) Old

Default Re: SD card classes - 01-03-2009, 05:08 PM

Has anyone here ever installed and ran a program from the SD?
  (#10) Old

Default Re: SD card classes - 01-04-2009, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaker02
Has anyone here ever installed and ran a program from the SD?
What? Sure -- I installed DeLorme Street Atlas on the SD card that I have more-or-less permanetly installed in the slot. Why do you ask?

~jeff

« Non-Bloated Drivers For Inspiron Mini 9? | ARG!!!!!!!! Battery not recognized, bios won't update »