Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default Loading Office from SD card - 12-25-2008, 08:26 PM

I downloaded office 07 onto an 8gig sd card. How do i get it to run off it? When I open the E drive it shows four folders Document themes, media, office 12, and templates.
I have no idea what to do next. I hope one of you can assist or am i trying to do something wrong? I appreciate any assistence you can offer and please I'm not that computer literate just enough to screw things up.

Thanks merry christmas to all
  (#2) Old
Administrator

Default Re: Loading Office from SD card - 12-25-2008, 10:02 PM

When you say you "downloaded"it, what do you mean exactly? Is there a setup.exe? If so, run it. You have to install Office, you can't just run it from the installation folders. I assume that you also have a valid license and product key.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#3) Old

Default Re: Loading Office from SD card - 12-25-2008, 11:11 PM

Yes I have a valid key. I put the cd into my regular laptop to upload and I changed to file location to my E drive where I had the SD card. The files transferred or downloded and it came up saying it was successfully loaded. Like I said all that shows up on the SD card are the four files I mentioned above. Not one said set up. I tried to look through each folder and file in there trying to find something that looked like set up or install etc. I was also under the impression your SD card would work as added memory for the whole system? Mine has 16 gig and by adding the eight I would be ok. Sorry wish I knew more.
  (#4) Old
Administrator

Default Re: Loading Office from SD card - 12-27-2008, 03:32 PM

Ok, I see what you did now. You ran the Office installer on the "regular" laptop and told it to install to the SD card. That won't work. Do this instead:

1. On the laptop, put the SD card back in and uninstall Office. (Control Panel, Add or Remove Programs)
2. Copy the contents of your Office CD or DVD to the SD card.
3. Insert the SD card in your Mini. Run setup.exe from the SD card (it may start automatically) and install the same way you did on the laptop, specifying that the Office files should go on the SD card.
4. Delete from the SD card all of the folders with names ending with "en-us", plus Admin, Catalog, Pro.WW and Updates. Delete autorun.inf, README.HTM and setup.exe as well.

Steve
  (#5) Old

Default Re: Loading Office from SD card - 12-27-2008, 03:51 PM

Thanks Steve but what do you mean by copy the contents off the office CD onto the SD card? How do you that? I downloaded the CD onto the laptop can I copy the program off that onto the SD card?

Also the deleting of the files mentioned is that in all the folders? Will the program be transfered to the SSD drive or stay on the SD?

I contacted Dell support on this and they said to copy the files off the SD onto the hard drive. I did this and when I tried to open EXCEL it came up with a memory error? Is this the DDR2 flash memory that's low? Everything else shows I have plenty. SSD has over 11gb left and the SD card had just under 7gb?

Sorry for being so lame. Trying to learn this as I go and I really appreciate the time and help
  (#6) Old

Default Re: Loading Office from SD card - 12-27-2008, 03:53 PM

one other thing, I have both Office 2007 and Office 2003 is one better than the other? One smaller? Which would you recommend?
  (#7) Old

Default Re: Loading Office from SD card - 12-27-2008, 05:40 PM

Thanks again Steve. I finally figured out what you were saying< I didn't know you could copy the entire contents of a CD without first opening it. Everything works fine. What I did was copied the CD onto a flash drive and then installed it onto the SD card. Everything is great.
  (#8) Old
Administrator

Default Re: Loading Office from SD card - 12-27-2008, 08:53 PM

If you have both, I'd stick with Office 2007 and remove 2003. You may want to do a "Change" on Office 2007 and remove the features you're not going to use, such as converters from WordPerfect, graphing tools, etc.

Steve

« Network Help | Just Got Mini9. Whats the first things i should do? »