Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default New to the site, Hello everyone!!! - 02-17-2010, 10:47 PM

Just ordered my Dell 11z from Dell.com. I'm hopping i made the right decision. I ordered it with the Celeron instead of the Pentium because I was only after the Windows 7 OS and the 6 cell battery. I'm a college student and was tired of lugging around my 1525 with all my books. So the use will be mainly note taking and word/excell processing with some internet surfing for research and email. I'm not sure if I will be able to tell the diff but does anyone think that I should call Dell and change to the Pentium before it's to late?

P.S.
Hello everyone from Jeffk88
  (#2) Old
Guru

Default 02-17-2010, 11:11 PM

Welcome.

I like my Mini with its Atom CPU. But at the higher price point of the 11z, I'd want the dual core CPU. I think the single core CPU's performance is similar to an Atom, while the dual core is markedly faster.

Mini 9 | Intel 5100 Wifi | Ubuntu 10.04 Netbook
Mini 1012 | SSD | Intel 6200 Wifi | Ubuntu 11.10 64bit
  (#3) Old

Default 02-17-2010, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffk88 View Post
Just ordered my Dell 11z from Dell.com. I'm hopping i made the right decision. I ordered it with the Celeron instead of the Pentium because I was only after the Windows 7 OS and the 6 cell battery. I'm a college student and was tired of lugging around my 1525 with all my books. So the use will be mainly note taking and word/excell processing with some internet surfing for research and email. I'm not sure if I will be able to tell the diff but does anyone think that I should call Dell and change to the Pentium before it's to late?

P.S.
Hello everyone from Jeffk88
For what you intend to do the Celeron will be plenty. I have an old Toshiba Satellite that is powered by a 1.3 Celeron and I use it more than my big laptop that is powered by a 2.4 Athlon 64.

Welcome to the forum and I am sure you will contribute some good info once you get your 11z. Buzz the other 11z owners and share your experiences and outlook. Myself I own a 1010 and I cannot tell you how much information and ideas I have picked from the minds of fellow 1010 owners. Good luck and happy computing. fdalbor

Dell Mini 1010 XP--10.04/Mandriva One/Joli 1.2
Compaq R4000 laptop AMD 64
Compaq SR2034NX AMD 64
  (#4) Old

Default 02-17-2010, 11:40 PM

Thanks for the quick replies!! I've been reading-up all over the site and I am quite impressed!! I think I'll stick with the Celeron with this buy for now and see how it goes. I'm a little more worried about the Touchpad now as I read through the site that it's not designed very well!!! Oh well guess I'll just buy a wireless mouse.
  (#5) Old

Default 02-18-2010, 03:45 AM

I actually have both in front of me: 11z/C743/2GB/3call and 11z/SU4100/4G/6cell and I can tell you: for what you need Celeron is plenty fast, you may want to bump up your memory and replace HDD with SSD to save some extra juice. You will be happy! Welcome to the forums and I am hoping to see you on the 11z forum!
  (#6) Old

Default 02-18-2010, 03:10 PM

Thanks dandanio. I can't wait for my 11z to come in. Dell has it shipping on 03-03 so I'm hopping their on time. I will be posting on the 11z form from here on out so see ya'll there!!
  (#7) Old

Default 02-18-2010, 08:21 PM

Welcome....

On Line gaming addict....

Cherry Red Mini 9..64GB Runcore SSD...2GB Ram....16GB SDHC card, BT...Win XP Home, Logitech mouse

« Screen resolution? Someone please explain? | HHD Question For My New Mini 10 V »