Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default where can i buy the best mini 10v? - 02-15-2010, 01:28 PM

hi. im steven. i am a student looking for a netbook for *non* educational purposes . i already have a huge laptop running ubuntu, and i love it. but its very difficult to take it to school, for a few reasons. like i said its humongous (did i spell that right?). also, it has a fifteen minute battery, and im not willing to upgrade it. so i decided that i would buy a new computer. as for my computer tastes, i love dual, triple, even quadruple booting systems. i love that challenge that i get from modding software. i have a jailbroken ipod touch, and custom nintendo ds firmware, and my laptop. that shows how desperate i am to be a rebel . anyway, i want a small computer that i can get mac osx and ubuntu netbook remix running on. so im going to buy the mini 10v. that seems to be the best one for hackintosh. but im not sure what specs i can get. i want a long battery. i want a HUGE hard drive, and the max of 2gig of ram. so where can i get that for cheap? ive been playing with the customization tool on dells site, and i usually come out with a $300 computer, which is no big deal, but if i can, i want to get it cheaper. so what can i do?
  (#2) Old

Default 02-15-2010, 01:52 PM

The dell outlet Dell Outlet - Refurbished Computers - Refurbished Laptops - Refurbished PCs | Dell often has the minis' for cheaper, especially if you get a 15% off coupon, which you can get from this thread http://www.mydellmini.com/forum/gene...-usa-only.html
  (#3) Old

Default 02-15-2010, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primadog View Post
The dell outlet Dell Outlet - Refurbished Computers - Refurbished Laptops - Refurbished PCs | Dell often has the minis' for cheaper, especially if you get a 15% off coupon, which you can get from this thread http://www.mydellmini.com/forum/gene...-usa-only.html
is the outlet site down? i found the mini 10vs, and now it says that it can find a file, i get the 404 error.

---------- Post added at 08:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:10 AM ----------

never mind. they only offer the nickelodeon ones. ill just buy a new one from dell. i can handle the price tag.
  (#4) Old
Super Moderator

Default 02-15-2010, 02:16 PM

Hi Steven, and welcome to the Forum!

I take it that you are in America, so you might like to keep an eye on this thread, where members post details of discount coupons for models avilable at the Dell Outlet, although the 10v is a very popular model, so there are not too many available.

You could also have a look at the "For Sale" section on here, which you can find at: Miscellaneous - For Sale at MyDellMini

If you are after long battery life, make sure you go for one with a 6 cell battery, as they can be expensive to buy afterwards.

You might have to install the extra memory yourself, but you will find plenty of advice (and videos!) on that subject in other threads on here.

Good Luck!

Edit: Sorry... I received a long 'phone call as I was typing out my reply, so I see that you have received some similar advice already!

Mini 10v - Product (RED) - BIOS A06 - Ubuntu 11.04 - 2GB RAM - 60 GB OCZ Vertex SSD - Bluetooth - Intel 6205 Wi-Fi - WWAN
  (#5) Old

Default 02-15-2010, 02:49 PM

Montala,

I see that you mentioned DELL outlet.

I live in N Ireland and received my Mini 10v this morning from the Outlet and found that it was a Romanian model running WIN7 Starter. One hour later and I have Snow Leopard running flawlessly using Mechdrew's Method 3 (NetbookCD) without the slightest problem during installation - using it now for this post, in fact.

The Mini10v came with Romanian documentation (and you guessed right - I do not speak Romanian!), a 'Continental' style 2-pin plug on the power adaptor and NO Windows 7 disk. Did you get your Mini 10v from the Outlet and did you get (or not get) the same as I did?

Best Regards

KMC

(#6) Old
Super Moderator

Default 02-15-2010, 03:10 PM

Hi KMC,

I am actually in England, and I purchased my Mini 10v as a brand new model, directly from Dell.

There is another thread, which you can read here, from another member who was also sent a Romanian model, and personally I feel this is rather 'sharp practice' from Dell, and unless this is made perfectly clear at the time of purchase, a buyer should expect to receive a model with an adapter, keyboard and instructions appropriate to his 'home' country... or at least to the country from which the order was placed.

It sounds as if you have done very well anyway with you 'Hackintoshing', although it is up to you really whether or not you feel it is still worth persuing the matter with Dell.

If it were me, I most certainly would, but I accept that others may well think differently!

Mini 10v - Product (RED) - BIOS A06 - Ubuntu 11.04 - 2GB RAM - 60 GB OCZ Vertex SSD - Bluetooth - Intel 6205 Wi-Fi - WWAN
  (#7) Old

Default 02-15-2010, 03:50 PM

Hi Montala,

Thanks for the info.

The keyboard is a standard UK keyboard so that is not a problem, but I will pursue DELL for a proper UK 3-pin power plug. The Mini 10v is very responsive with Snow Leopard, (even with 1GB RAM) and unless I encounter problems, I am very unlikely to want to revert to WIN 7 starter (I have WIN 7 Home Premium on my Mini 9). In any event, I would imagine that my girlfriend will 'confiscate' this super little 'minimac' from me when she sees it later this week. I will also ask for proper documentation in English.

Given that you bought your Mini 10v from DELL, rather that DELL Outlet, can I ask if you received an OS re-installation disk with the unit? All other DELL Outlet machines that I have bought in the past came with an OS re-installation disk.

Best Wishes

KMC

(#8) Old
Super Moderator

Default 02-15-2010, 04:11 PM

Yes, I purchased mine last year, before Windows 7 was launched, so it was an XP model, and they did supply me with a Windows XP SP3 Reinstallation CD.

They also included a DVD containing Drivers & Utilities, and a CD of "Applications already installed on your computer", plus a booklet.

All of these come as standard with new machines I believe.

Like you, I am very pleased with Snow Leopard. and have almost reached the stage where I wish that I could afford a 'real' Mac. This is a really great substitute though!

I think the secret with Dell is to polite, but firm... and appear to be very "reasonable"!

Good Luck!

(#9) Old
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to rrfranczak3 Send a message via MSN to rrfranczak3 Send a message via Yahoo to rrfranczak3
Cool 02-15-2010, 04:35 PM

I also purchased my Mini 10 directly from Dell (on the phone) and also received the same (or close, as mine were for the Mini 10 not the 10v) CD's as Montala, I thought that these were standard issue, when I bought my big HP laptop back in 2005 I got a huge amount of CD's with that also...same with my 2 servers..I thought it was general practice..I guess not...

Dell Mini 10 (Obsidian Black 1010), 2gb RAM, 1.66ghz 533mhz FSB (Z530) processor, A10 BIOS, 1 Terabyte (1000 GB) WD Scorpio Blue Hard Drive (5400rpm), Intel GMA 500 Integrated Graphics, TV Tuner, Bluetooth 2.1 module with EDR, 1.3mp Camera, 1366x768 HD Screen, Wireless 1510 b/g/n mini card, 6 cell (56WHr) Battery, 4gb SDHC, 64gb Flashdrive, Targus Netbook Chillpad, Targus Sport Case, Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (500gb)/Windows 8.1 (500gb) (Dual Boot)

iPad 4 (64gb) w/Retina,Targus Versavu Case
  (#10) Old

Default 02-15-2010, 05:26 PM

so if i want big battery, get the 6-cell one that they offer? and if i want extra ram, i have to buy it later? also, for the sake of recovery, do they send installation discs? i would think they do, based in the previous posts. but my idea of a recovery disc is either A) a dvd of win7 or winVista or winXP, or B) the recovery discs that you make through the thingy in the start menu. because when i plan on getting one, i am going to do a hackintosh/ubuntu netbook remix dual boot. from my resaerch, thats really easy, but im a bit nervous. a while ago, i tried a hackintosh on my current laptop (a compaq presario), and i couldnt get the wireless working, mostly of my inexperience with terminal. so i guess my question is whether or not a straight hackintosh install on a mini 10v provides wireless without much hacking.

« Install WIndows XP if Mac OS x Already insalled? (10v) | Screen resolution? Someone please explain? »