Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#11) Old
Retired Mini user

Default 02-15-2010, 05:47 PM

Six-cell is the biggest. Yes, if you want more RAM, you need to upgrade it yourself, last I checked.

The NBM/NBI software and tutorials here give you pretty close to full hardware compatibility. Wireless should work without any additional hacking.

Getting an iPad
  (#12) Old
Super Moderator

Default 02-15-2010, 05:50 PM

Hi Steven,

Of course you don't HAVE to get one with a larger battery (they do stick out a bit!) but if you are after longer battery life it is a good idea.

You may find that you can order one with 2GB RAM already installed, as it it not the easiest of jobs to add later, but has been done by many (myself included!). Best to have a look and see what options are available in your country, as they do vary.

If you are now thinking of ordering a 'brand new' Mini from Dell it will come with a physical recovery CD for the operating system which is installed.

You can read plenty about 'hackintoshing' and dual booting in the respective sections on this site... the search engine is a useful tool also!

Whn I 'hackintoshed' my Mini 10v which had a wireless card already installed, it was recognised by Snow Leopard during the installation process, and all I had to do was to enter my wireless security key, and I was connected... it was as easy as that!

Mini 10v - Product (RED) - BIOS A06 - Ubuntu 11.04 - 2GB RAM - 60 GB OCZ Vertex SSD - Bluetooth - Intel 6205 Wi-Fi - WWAN
  (#13) Old

Default 02-15-2010, 06:00 PM

i see. that makes me want this even more. im feeling so giddy right now, even though i have a max of $25. but i read this on another site after doing a "best netbook for hackintosh" google search.

Dell Mini 10v
For some time after release this Mini 9 replacement was held up by Mac driver difficulties. Now it works fairly well, and could serve as a replacement Mini 9 for some Hackintoshers.
What you get: In some ways, this is better than the Mini 9. It's a newer unit, updated to address some of the general population's broader problems with the Mini 9: The screen is slightly larger, and more importantly, the keyboard has some room to stretch. It's cheap—often cheaper than the a coveted used Mini 9—at about $300 new.
What you sacrifice: The Mini 10v is patchier than its predecessor across the board. The onboard microphone is difficult to get working, video drivers are still a little precarious, often causing crashes when external monitors are connected, and sleep and hibernation modes aren't very reliable, which is crucial for a totable netbook. If you're willing to bet on driver support improving, it's a prudent purchase. That's a big if, by the way.

so all the things in the sacrifice section are taken care of, based on WolfKeeper's last post?

EDIT: i read this on http://gizmodo.com/5325775/the-state...tbooks-to-hack

---------- Post added at 12:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:56 AM ----------

sorry for all the double posting and such, but i just found a tutorial on how to install snow leopard on a mini 10v. OS X 10.6.2 on a DELL mini10v Inspiron 1011 osx86sv home of pc running osx

is this the easiest way to do that? and can this work on other computers? like say my compaq presario?
  (#14) Old
Super Moderator

Default 02-15-2010, 06:18 PM

The gizmodo article you linked to was written last July, and things have moved on a lot since then.

Their guides are now way out of date also, and the other one you mention is very much abreviated.

The best guides can be found on this site, in the 'Guides' section, or on Mechdrew's associated site (he is a regular contributor on MyDellMini also) and can be found here.

Stick with MyDellMini, and you shouldn't go far wrong!

Mini 10v - Product (RED) - BIOS A06 - Ubuntu 11.04 - 2GB RAM - 60 GB OCZ Vertex SSD - Bluetooth - Intel 6205 Wi-Fi - WWAN
  (#15) Old

Default 02-15-2010, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montala View Post
The gizmodo article you linked to was written last July, and things have moved on a lot since then.

Their guides are now way out of date also, and the other one you mention is very much abreviated.

The best guides can be found on this site, in the 'Guides' section, or on Mechdrew's associated site (he is a regular contributor on MyDellMini also) and can be found here.

Stick with MyDellMini, and you shouldn't go far wrong!
ok, thats cool. like i said earlier, im really excited about all this, so im trying to absorb as much info as possible. but i can do that here, and like you said, get a bunch of accurate info. thanks guys .

« Install WIndows XP if Mac OS x Already insalled? (10v) | Screen resolution? Someone please explain? »