Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default Save files after 'blue screen of death' ? - 02-12-2010, 06:55 PM

Every option I choose (normal/safe mode, last know good config) it goes straight to the blue screen. I own the 10v with 2gb upgrade.
Tech Info
*** stop: 0x000007E
I bought an external cd-rom to repair (reinstall)WinXP sp2 but it doesn't even want to load the cd.It goes straight to the load Win option. (I went to bios and checked load cd-rom and removable drive first)

Now is there any way I can save the data from the HD? If not, how can I load the OS using the external cd-rom?

Sorry if these questions had been answered before and thanks in advance.

PS-Can I get an external HD case for this HD and just plug it into my desktop?
  (#2) Old
Guru

Default 02-12-2010, 08:11 PM

Welcome.

First off, even if you can't get Windows booting again, there's a good chance that your files are fine.

A 2.5" SATA-USB enclosure/dock/adapter should enable you to access the files, but if your desktop is modern, you don't even need to buy one. The 2.5" SATA drives used in most laptops, including the 10v, use the same SATA data and power connectors as the 3.5" SATA drives used in desktops.

So, you can power your desktop down, open it up, and plug the drive in (you might need to temporarily unplug your optical drive to free up a SATA data cable). You won't be able to securely mount the 2.5" in the desktop (without an adapter), but you can just be careful with it for the short period when it's hooked up.

Good luck.

Mini 9 | Intel 5100 Wifi | Ubuntu 10.04 Netbook
Mini 1012 | SSD | Intel 6200 Wifi | Ubuntu 11.10 64bit

« Bare bones Dell Mini | Is there a DC adapter? »