Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default Few questions re: a clean install of XP Home - 12-24-2008, 10:03 AM

Hello,

Just received my refurb Mini and like it a lot. I would like to do a clean install of XP Home and have a few questions:

-What, if any, are the differences between the Dell supplied OS disc compared with a regular retail OS disc?
-If the Dell disc installs the OS compressed, is there a way to disable that function?
-If I clean install using a retail version of XP Home, can I use the license key on the sticker on the Mini 9 to activate? (the retail disk is already activated on a different computer)

Thanks!

Mini 10v - Atom N270 160GB HD Win 7 Starter
  (#2) Old
Administrator

Default Re: Few questions re: a clean install of XP Home - 12-24-2008, 12:56 PM

The Dell disc requires that it be installed on a Dell PC and, as far as I know, just restores a basic XP image. You can disable compression by right clicking on the drive in My Computer, selecting Properties, and unchecking the option.

The install key provided with the restore CD won't work for retail versions of Windows. The keys are coded to distribution type.

I don't see the benefit from doing what you propose.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#3) Old

Send a message via Yahoo to Dr Some-what Evil
Default Re: Few questions re: a clean install of XP Home - 12-24-2008, 11:19 PM

I know that paulgj mentioned using a retail version of XP but I used a OEM version of XP and used the key from the bottom of my dads laptop to complete the install, it went smoothly and still no problems. I am going to attempt a re-load of XP (after I get my 64gig Runcore drive) the way I did for my dad then decide what Dell branded software I want to install after the drivers. I think its completely possible to do. After some tweaking, it should run as well or possibly better than the original install.

Mini-9
STEC 8 gig SSD
RAM 2Gig 800Mhz.
WWAN parts in place
Fresh install of Ubuntu 12.04 LTS
Gigabyte b,g & n WiFi card that works
Sony DVD ROM/CD burner in slimline external case
Planned upgrades; 16 gig STEC SSD, Internal Bluetooth and Black Lid
  (#4) Old

Default Re: Few questions re: a clean install of XP Home - 12-25-2008, 03:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmes4
The Dell disc requires that it be installed on a Dell PC and, as far as I know, just restores a basic XP image. You can disable compression by right clicking on the drive in My Computer, selecting Properties, and unchecking the option.

The install key provided with the restore CD won't work for retail versions of Windows. The keys are coded to distribution type.

I don't see the benefit from doing what you propose.
The reason would be that
(1) I Want a clean uncompressed install
(2) Standard XP Home, not a "Dell" tweaked version (I can tweak myself) - I have to assume Dell does some tweaking to the base OS like with their custom wallpaper etc.

I have done this for OEM Vista on a ThinkPad using a System Builder copy of ultimate to do a clean install (see http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=144783 if interested). Just removes any specific OEM vendor customizations and branding.

Mini 10v - Atom N270 160GB HD Win 7 Starter

« Got Mini 9 for my wifey~! | VERY basic questions »