Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default Tiny bumps cause restarts and wifi issues - 02-06-2010, 02:38 AM

Hello all,

I have been having a reoccurring issue with my mini9 where if there is a little bump it restarts and can not find a WiFi connection. This is not all of the time, sometimes I can walk around the house with it no issues - other times a simple closing of the lid will do it (I have it set to do nothing when the lid closes in power options - on battery or AC). A quick manual restart fixes this problem so I don't think it's a problem with the actual WiFi card. Has anyone had this issue?

Also it's a pest sometimes and switches down to 800x600 rez on restart and I always have to apply 1024x600 manually when this happens. Reinstalled updated drivers but to no avail.

Any ideas?

Ps. might be helpful to let you guys know I am running XP...
  (#2) Old
Administrator

Default 02-06-2010, 01:38 PM

Welcome to the forum!

This is clearly a hardware problem, not software. You have some loose connection inside the Mini (you don't say which model). When you say "restarts", you mean the Mini reboots?

The resolution issue may be BIOS-related. Which model Mini do you have and which BIOS revision is it running?

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#3) Old

Default 02-06-2010, 04:52 PM

Thanks for the welcome.

It's very noobish for me not to include my specs, I thought I had them on my profile, I did what I yell at my screen for people to do when they post elsewhere but politely ask them for their lappies specs.

I'm running the Inspiron 910 (Atom N270 1.6) with bios rev. A05.

I snagged an updated vid driver and a once proven 'fix' for the rez issue about 2 months ago, but it doesn't work often, and have tried a few different drivers from various locations starting with Dell's new drivers. Boo. Confirmed the proper resolution through the registry as well and all should be the way I want it, but it has a mind of it's own and likes to ignore what it says it will do.
  (#4) Old
Administrator

Default 02-07-2010, 12:17 AM

Search your registry for keys DefaultSettings.XResolution and DefaultSettings.YResolution. There are probably several sets. Change them all to 1024 and 600 respectively.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#5) Old

Default 02-09-2010, 09:08 PM

This is what I have done with the registry, but all it gets me is a fresh new wallpaper asking me if I want to restore my active desktop. Thinking about scrapping it all and starting with a clean install for (the day after) National Clean Out Your Computer Day, which I might officially extend to a week.
Everyone is in concurrence that my restarts are hardware? It does seem that way to me as well, but I am wondering if anyone else has had these problems.
  (#6) Old

Default 02-10-2010, 03:04 AM

when did you buy it can you go get an exchange it sounds like a hardware issue a software issue would not cause your comp to restart with the problem your saying

My mini10 specs : GMA500, Z520, 1 gig ram and windows 7, Hdmi out
  (#7) Old

Default 02-11-2010, 02:09 PM

My 2nd mini9 did this. It was the motherboard.

-- 2120 | black | N550 | 250 gb | 2 gb | 7 ult 32bit
-- Alienware MX11 R1 | Black | dual 7300 | 500 gb | 4 gb | Win7 Pro 64bit
  (#8) Old
Founder

Send a message via Skype™ to Dunhamzzz
Default 02-11-2010, 02:42 PM

I agree with the above 2, you should report to Dell and get them to fix it if you can.

Have you applied any mods to the system?

Please do not send me support requests via PM.
  (#9) Old

Default 02-11-2010, 08:28 PM

No mods. I actually got the Mini on a trade for an old Mac Mini, so I don't have a receipt or a purchase date for the unit. The only thing I did was change from Ubuntu to XP. I will try to call Dell this week and report back.

« A09 vs 10v | Hi folks! Looking to add a webcam to my mini 9 »