Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default Network Help - 12-23-2008, 02:11 PM

Got my new Mini-9 last night Happily surfing through my wireless network at home, decided to file share from my husband's desktop and 'try' to network myself in. I am not a network person and just don't get it...

Long story short - whenever I try to connect to our home network - I get connected and then it says something about assigning a network address (sorry I don't have the exact error - I’m now at work). At this point I feel really stupid.

When I rode the bus this morning, I was able to connect - should I surmise that it's an issue with my network at home? Seems obvious that it is, but I’ve tried too many things now to have my head on straight. And how in the world do I fix it?!?!

Thanks!
Laurie
  (#2) Old

Default Re: Network Help - 12-23-2008, 04:28 PM

Try getting the latest drivers to your dell mini. There might be incompatibility in negotiating the encryption right before the TCP stack.
Hard Reset your router. It could be that there is something wrong in the config and that happened to me once. Even though I could connect with all the other computers at home, there was one that was giving problems, and as soon as I reset the router, I was good.
If that does not work let us know.
  (#3) Old

Default Re: Network Help - 12-23-2008, 05:09 PM

Thanks I'll try that this evening. I also spoke to my brother (the network guru of the family) and he suggested releasing and renewing the IP via command prompt and IPConfig.

Thanks-
Laurie
  (#4) Old

Default Re: Network Help - 12-23-2008, 05:38 PM

It is strange that you would be able to surf the internet (meaning your router has assigned you an IP address on the local network) but would be getting network address errors.

Are you using Windows or Linux?
  (#5) Old

Default Re: Network Help - 12-23-2008, 07:31 PM

Windows
  (#6) Old

Default Re: Network Help - 12-23-2008, 09:15 PM

If the other PCs on your network are running Vista, that might be part of the problem. Vista and XP sometimes don't play well in file sharing. I can't tell you how to fix it because I still haven't gotten file sharing to work on my Mini either, but the Vista boxes can access the Mini. I suppose I should care but I don't. Maybe someone smarter than me will figure it out.

White Mini 9 with 2 GB RAM and 64 GB RunCore SSD running Win7 RC1
  (#7) Old

Default Re: Network Help - 12-23-2008, 09:43 PM

I've got a home network with three XP machines and one Vista machine that works fine.

If the IP addresses of all the machines are in the same subnet (i.e. 192.168.100.1, 192.168.100.2, 192.168.100.3, etc) then it is not an IP problem, but probably a workgroup problem.

Just run the network setup wizard on both machines and make sure you type the same workgroup name on each machine.

If you go to Network Neighborhood (XP) or Start > Network in Vista, you should be able to browse the "Entire Network", double click on the workgroup name, and see all of the computers that are currently on the network.

As long as the machines are connected to the same router, that router is assigning IP addresses to each machine, and the computers are in the same workgroup, that should be all you need.
  (#8) Old

Default Re: Network Help - 12-24-2008, 01:36 AM

ok - so I got it to work... not really sure what I did. I think it was the settings on the wireless network - I enabled IP assigning. I think that's what fixed it. I'll foray into file sharing someother day
Thanks for all the suggestions!
Laurie
  (#9) Old

Default Re: Network Help - 12-24-2008, 11:45 PM

I know I had to update my firmware for my lynksys wrt65g router to get mine to work. After I did that, I got connected!!! :mrgreen:
  (#10) Old

Default Re: Network Help - 12-27-2008, 06:24 PM

Here's another real beginner question. How do you update firmware?

« VERY basic questions | Loading Office from SD card »