Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default Ordered the 12 then Cancelled and Bought the 9 - 12-23-2008, 01:57 AM

really hope i can deal with keyboard and the screen size

bought a 32 gig ubuntu setup which i will try for about 2 days and then run screaming to windows xp or maybe add some ram and try vista

in the end i just plain am too pissed off at dell for offering the 12 as such a crippled pc .....

1 gig of ram for vista or even xp or even os-x is just not enough and dell should be ashamed ....

as much as i'd like the extra size, i just can't support buying a machine that is limited from the getgo

i allready have an ipod touch and it's closed, walled off and tied up

plus, i can put the 9 in my top pocket .... right ?
  (#2) Old

Default Re: Ordered the 12 then Cancelled and Bought the 9 - 12-23-2008, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyfellow
plus, i can put the 9 in my top pocket .... right ?
heh :lol:

Even with big hands I don't find that the keyboard is too small, just that there are 2 or 3 keys in the "wrong" place.
  (#3) Old

Default Re: Ordered the 12 then Cancelled and Bought the 9 - 12-23-2008, 08:24 PM

i've always been a hunt and pecker so i guess i'll adapt....

which keys are out of place ??
  (#4) Old
Guru

Send a message via AIM to UnaClocker Send a message via Yahoo to UnaClocker
Default Re: Ordered the 12 then Cancelled and Bought the 9 - 12-24-2008, 08:10 AM

No worries about the 1GB ram limit on the 12 when it comes to OSX. OSX doesn't support the very unique GMA500 that machine has. So it's a very very poor candidate for OSX..
Glad to hear you ordered the better machine all around.
The biggest problem with the standard Mini9 keyboard is the apostrophe is down by the spacebar. And the shift key on the right is VERY small and right next to the up arrow, causing you to highlight the previous line of text quite often.. heh.. Leads to alot of deleted text.. But you will adapt. I've typed enough on my Mini9 keyboards (I swapped the first out for an "international" keyboard that has smaller keys to fit the apostrophe back to the correct spot, and some of the missing keys back into their spots) that I've worn shiny smooth spots onto the spacebars on both of them..

Tired of wondering if your Mini9 is doing ANYTHING? - Add a HDD Activity LED
  (#5) Old

Send a message via Yahoo to GerallK
Default Re: Ordered the 12 then Cancelled and Bought the 9 - 12-24-2008, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnaClocker
I've typed enough on my Mini9 keyboards (I swapped the first out for an "international" keyboard that has smaller keys to fit the apostrophe back to the correct spot, and some of the missing keys back into their spots) that I've worn shiny smooth spots onto the spacebars on both of them..
Now that's the sign of a favorite computer! 8-)

I will agree with UnaClocker; the Mini 9 (while smaller) just seems a better fit for your described purposes. Computing should always be about utility. "What can this tool do for me?"

The 9 just seems more suited to your nefarious designs. :mrgreen:

Obsidian Mini 9 > 2gb ram, 16gb ssd, bluetooth, 1.3mp webcam, us-intl kbd
Internal Mods > usb hub, 16gb flash drive, 8gb flash drive, added webcam, changed kbd
Software Mods > Dellbuntu 8.04.1 | Gentoo 2008.0
  (#6) Old

Default Re: Ordered the 12 then Cancelled and Bought the 9 - 01-01-2009, 05:59 PM

well, i had the 9 on order from dell and it was going to take forever ....

so i saw that bestbuy had them here in canada and ordered one from them for 379

got a white mini 9 with 8 gigs ...

very very happy with this, it's dead silent which i really like....

the keyboard does take some getting used to, the keys are in the "wrong" place but that's ok, you just need to pay attention and be a good hunt and pecker ....

this is a great little pc

it will be interesting to see what others start popping up but at the moment i like this the best of the ones i have seen

« Transferring a program | A lot more Mini 9's on the outlet page today. »