Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default bad performance in all OS - 01-29-2010, 05:17 PM

hello all,
i'm having performance issues with my dell mini 9. video streaming is unbearable. I am unable to smoothly stream videos from any internet sources, cnn, hulu, msn, etc... audio comes through clear but video is choppy and freezes. I realize that linux based operating systems get a stomach ache when trying to deal with flash... so my question is... will installing windows fix my problems with flash video on mini 9? do i need to upgrade ram?

currently osx 10.5.8
16gb standard ssd
1gb standard ram
previously used os: ubuntu 8.4, ubuntu 9.10 NBR

note* i tried all the flash fixes and work arounds that i could find with google, for both mac and linux operating systems. none of them worked well.
  (#2) Old
Retired Mini user

Default 01-29-2010, 05:42 PM

Flash is very CPU intensive. It's a known issue on the 9 and 10v, regardless of operating system. A RAM upgrade won't help. The Atom just isn't fast enough.

Getting an iPad
  (#3) Old

Default 01-29-2010, 05:54 PM

Hi,

most websites have often a lot of flash elements, they all will be loaded while you open the site.

One way to reduce the activity of the processor, you can use a flashblocker.

So you just can choose the flash video only and the qualitiy is a little bit better.

other tough is to use the coreavc codec for windows, the codec plays videos very smoothly, but its not free.

Google and you ll find em.
good luck

mini10v | 10.6.3 | 2GB RAM | 64GB SSDNOW V-Series | NBI 0.8.4RC1 | A06 | BT:no | WAKEn LEGACYff
  (#4) Old

Default 01-29-2010, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfKeeper View Post
Flash is very CPU intensive. It's a known issue on the 9 and 10v, regardless of operating system. A RAM upgrade won't help. The Atom just isn't fast enough.
ouch... not exactly what i was hoping to hear. though i do thank you for the speedy reply. do you avoid watching flash videos on your netbooks?

my good friend uses an ASUS EEE 900HA, which he got after i got my mini9. atom N270 processor. he claims he's never recieved video lag while watching flash. is he lying to make his asus seem better than my dell? or is his machine better than mine?

specs here ASUSTeK Computer Inc..
  (#5) Old

Default 01-29-2010, 06:03 PM

hi back,

no the components seems to be the same.

Youre using windows right?

go to hte commandline prompt and type in msconfig then enter.

There are the programs they will be load at startup,

perhaps you can dismark some, so you have not running to much programs in the background you dont need

mini10v | 10.6.3 | 2GB RAM | 64GB SSDNOW V-Series | NBI 0.8.4RC1 | A06 | BT:no | WAKEn LEGACYff
  (#6) Old
Guru

Default 01-29-2010, 06:05 PM

On Linux at least, Flash videos frequently get saved to temporary files (under /tmp) with a "Flash" prefixes. So, I just start the video buffering, then switch to a terminal and launch "mplayer /tmp/Fl*" to play files starting with "Fl" with Mplayer, a normal video player. Mplayer (and VLC or whatever) have much better performance than Flash, and play fullscreen video smoothly on the Atom.

I don't know if this trick is as easy under other OSs. But there are ways of manually downloading Flash videos. Look into Firefox addons.

Mini 9 | Intel 5100 Wifi | Ubuntu 10.04 Netbook
Mini 1012 | SSD | Intel 6200 Wifi | Ubuntu 11.10 64bit
  (#7) Old

Default 01-29-2010, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrispi79 View Post
hi back,

no the components seems to be the same.

Youre using windows right?

go to hte commandline prompt and type in msconfig then enter.

There are the programs they will be load at startup,

perhaps you can dismark some, so you have not running to much programs in the background you dont need
hi chris,
thanks for both of your replies. currently i am using a broken mac osx 10.5.8. the upgrade (i only tried to upgrade because of my anger at flash) broke my install and i'm too busy to re make my dellifi USBs to fix it. anways, thank you again for the tips, they sound as if they would help alot if i were using windows.

---------- Post added at 06:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:10 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by reflex View Post
On Linux at least, Flash videos frequently get saved to temporary files (under /tmp) with a "Flash" prefixes. So, I just start the video buffering, then switch to a terminal and launch "mplayer /tmp/Fl*" to play files starting with "Fl" with Mplayer, a normal video player. Mplayer (and VLC or whatever) have much better performance than Flash, and play fullscreen video smoothly on the Atom.

I don't know if this trick is as easy under other OSs. But there are ways of manually downloading Flash videos. Look into Firefox addons.

hey reflex, this sounds liek a potential fix to my problem. can you tell me if it will work with HULU continous video playing? or will it work with CNN international news player (it continuously loads different smaller clips into a player). will i have to hit terminal for each new vid clip that plays?
  (#8) Old

Default stay at osx - 01-29-2010, 06:19 PM

Hi

ok osx is much easier because i use it too, and i can watch youtube without legs(not in hd, then ive legs too)

i use 10.6.2, and with flash block its perfekt, without its ok too.

Buy a snow leopard here par example, strip down via diskutilities to a 8gb usb stick and the run meklorts netbookmaker from here over it.

then reinstall, upgrade comboupdate to 10.6.2 et voila, your dell mini would be perfect again.

Here you find guides from mechdrew

(#9) Old

Default 01-29-2010, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrispi79 View Post
Hi

ok osx is much easier because i use it too, and i can watch youtube without legs(not in hd, then ive legs too)

i use 10.6.2, and with flash block its perfekt, without its ok too.

Buy a snow leopard here par example, strip down via diskutilities to a 8gb usb stick and the run meklorts netbookmaker from here over it.

then reinstall, upgrade comboupdate to 10.6.2 et voila, your dell mini would be perfect again.

Here you find guides from mechdrew
thanks again for the reply. you suggested that i install snow leopard over my broken 10.5.8? do u think this will work if my SDD is only 16GB with only about 4GB free?

do you think this will play flash vid better than the method that reflex suggested? (i don't own a TV so watching flash vid is a necessity for me)
  (#10) Old
Guru

Default 01-29-2010, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshmini View Post
hey reflex, this sounds liek a potential fix to my problem. can you tell me if it will work with HULU continous video playing? or will it work with CNN international news player (it continuously loads different smaller clips into a player). will i have to hit terminal for each new vid clip that plays?
Cnn.com videos seem to work (they save to a temp file like I described above). If you're launching mplayer from a terminal like me, and you want to play a second video, you can leave the terminal open, switch back to the browser, queue and pause the video, then switch back to the terminal and press up arrow to run the same command again: "mplayer /tmp/Fl*".

The trick doesn't seem to work with Hulu.

Mini 9 | Intel 5100 Wifi | Ubuntu 10.04 Netbook
Mini 1012 | SSD | Intel 6200 Wifi | Ubuntu 11.10 64bit

« Mini 10v RAM Questions | What netbooks currently available at Best Buy are the best for hackintoshing? »