Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default Reformatting with USB drive - 01-28-2010, 01:56 AM

I thought this would be way easier to figure out, but have looked everywhere on the internet (including these forums).

Is there a way to reformat the dell mini (9) without a external dvd drive? It says right in the quick start guide "Your computer may or may not have an external optical drive. Use an external optical drive or ANY EXTERNAL STORAGE DEVIDE for the procedures that involve disks."

but HOW does one do this. I hate when computer manuals explain every last click, but then says stuff like that with ABSOLUTELY no explanation.

I currently do not have any other windows PCS to help me. All I have is a mac. I have several USB thumb drives. Is there any way to use the mac to get the cd on a thumbdrive and use that? I'm at a loss here. Thanks!
  (#2) Old
Administrator

Default 01-28-2010, 02:10 AM

When you say "reformat", exactly what do you want to do? Which CD do you want on the thumbdrive?

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#3) Old

Default 01-28-2010, 02:19 AM

somehow the computer got several viruses. i want to completely reinstall windows with the disc it came with. factory settings.
  (#4) Old
Administrator

Default 01-28-2010, 02:23 AM

There is probably a way to prepare the thumb drive on a Mac. You need to make the drive bootable and then copy the CD contents to the drive. I don't know how to do that on a Mac - perhaps someone else will.

Steve
  (#5) Old

Default 01-28-2010, 02:24 AM

on a mac and a pc when i got a chance to use it, it kept telling me not all files could be copied. certain files stop it from being copied.
  (#6) Old
Administrator

Default 01-28-2010, 03:13 PM

Can't help with that...

Steve
  (#7) Old

Default 02-01-2010, 12:39 AM

Your best bet would be either get someone to make you a usb boot disk with xp on it or find someone with a xbox 360 hd dvd drive that should work as an external cd drive for your mini 9 , then you could use your recovery cd.

Other option is run spyware like "spybot search and destroy" this should rid most virus.

Do you have anti virus installed?

If not try AVG free and do a complete scan, i think you may be able to revive it without a fresh install.
  (#8) Old

Default 02-01-2010, 01:09 AM

Regardless of your OS, your BIOS will be the same. So you can use any of the install guides and follow it through the bootup. Your question is: how do I install an image on a Mac OS. UNR has an instruction for that (just replace the linux image to whatever windows iso you have) https://help.ubuntu.com/community/In...n/FromUSBStick under Mac OS X

« Taking the Lid off | Battery life on a new Mini 10v? »