Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Question Install WIndows XP if Mac OS x Already insalled? (10v) - 01-25-2010, 08:40 PM

I'm not looking for a how-to just yet. Simply curious if I can do this without too much effort.

I installed Mac OS X (Snow Leopard) on my Mini, but before doing so, I created two partitions. Is it possible to install WinXP on the second patition and set up a dual boot configuration without starting from scratch? I know dual boots are possible, but I'm more interested in whether this would be a difficult process or not (hence the "beginner" question, because if it's not easy, I ain't gonna begin ).
  (#2) Old
Administrator

Default 01-25-2010, 09:34 PM

Yes, it is possible. Visit the Dual Boot section of the forum and look at the Dual Booting Guides.

The primary issue will be that installing XP will make OS X unbootable. One way to fix that is to download and install EasyBCD and set it up to allow selection of the OS X or XP partition.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#3) Old

Send a message via AIM to ahandlen003 Send a message via Skype™ to ahandlen003
Default 02-02-2010, 10:53 PM

True what holmes4 said but if you only have 1 partiton with osx on it i believe you have to repartition then reinstall osx then install windows on the second partition.

Mini10v - Black With Apple Logo - 1GB RAM - 320GB - BlueTooth(Added) - A06 - N280 - /QuadBoot\ SL OSX 10.6.2| Jolicloud OS PRO (beta)| Windows 7 Ultimate| Ubuntu Netbook Remix
  (#4) Old
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to rrfranczak3 Send a message via MSN to rrfranczak3 Send a message via Yahoo to rrfranczak3
Cool 02-02-2010, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXCiclista View Post
I installed Mac OS X (Snow Leopard) on my Mini, but before doing so, I created two partitions.
correct but, he said he DID create 2 partitions

Dell Mini 10 (Obsidian Black 1010), 2gb RAM, 1.66ghz 533mhz FSB (Z530) processor, A10 BIOS, 1 Terabyte (1000 GB) WD Scorpio Blue Hard Drive (5400rpm), Intel GMA 500 Integrated Graphics, TV Tuner, Bluetooth 2.1 module with EDR, 1.3mp Camera, 1366x768 HD Screen, Wireless 1510 b/g/n mini card, 6 cell (56WHr) Battery, 4gb SDHC, 64gb Flashdrive, Targus Netbook Chillpad, Targus Sport Case, Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (500gb)/Windows 8.1 (500gb) (Dual Boot)

iPad 4 (64gb) w/Retina,Targus Versavu Case
  (#5) Old

Default 02-03-2010, 12:37 AM

Oh haha i must have over looked that thanks for correcting me. SO it is entirely possible.

Mini10v - Black With Apple Logo - 1GB RAM - 320GB - BlueTooth(Added) - A06 - N280 - /QuadBoot\ SL OSX 10.6.2| Jolicloud OS PRO (beta)| Windows 7 Ultimate| Ubuntu Netbook Remix
  (#6) Old

Default 02-03-2010, 08:43 PM

I have a question regarding this topic, when I first installed Snow Leopard, I only created one partition. I go into disk utility and select my HD and there is an arrow in the bottom right corner you can drag to resize. if i resize my Startup disk, and format the partition sans SnowLeo,
1. Will it erase my Snow Leopard completely?
2. Could I Install Win7 to the unpartitioned space?
These questions apply if this is even possible.

In other words is there a way to install Win7, on a HD with SnowLeo, without losing everything, with a single partition?
  (#7) Old

Default 02-03-2010, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afinley92 View Post
I have a question regarding this topic, when I first installed Snow Leopard, I only created one partition. I go into disk utility and select my HD and there is an arrow in the bottom right corner you can drag to resize. if i resize my Startup disk, and format the partition sans SnowLeo,
1. Will it erase my Snow Leopard completely?
2. Could I Install Win7 to the unpartitioned space?
These questions apply if this is even possible.

In other words is there a way to install Win7, on a HD with SnowLeo, without losing everything, with a single partition?
funny i had the same question

a computer , some ram , a hdd , a screen , a wifi card , a webcam , a case , some other things and an operation system
  (#8) Old

Default 02-03-2010, 09:08 PM

I was thinking that i could make a time machine backup to my external HD, and then 'start over' and follow a guide on here. but I still don't want to risk losing all my files and data. And plus i've never used time machine, so i have no clue how long it would take to backup 60Gb of Applications and Docs.
  (#9) Old

Default 02-04-2010, 02:50 AM

As for the one partiton people, as far as i know if you have LEO or SNOW LEO with 1 part. you cannot just create another and install another OS. Now if you were running windows or linux i know for a fact that yes thats entirely possible (you can also search google). As for the start over it depends whether or not ur goin off wifi, LAN, or direct usb. 20gb on wifi usually takes about 2 hours for me so = 6 hours. as for lan its much quicker and usb would be the quickest.

(#10) Old

Send a message via MSN to Side.Step.Society
Default 02-05-2010, 02:23 AM

Yes, you can just add another partition to your disk via Disk Utility. Heck, you could probably use Boot Camp if you wanted.

I used Disk Utility to create a second partition for Windows 7 on my OS X install, worked brilliant.

« Rookie trying to Reformat his Dell Inspiron 1010 (mini)... Please help! | where can i buy the best mini 10v? »