Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  (#1) Old
jinxc jinxc is offline
Junior Member
 
Posts: 2
Join Date: Jan 2010
Default Is the Atom processor really that slow? - 01-25-2010, 06:35 PM

When I looked into buying a netbook and discovered the Dell Mini 10v could run Mac OS X fairly well I was pretty excited so I asked my friends who had owned or still own netbooks and they were very very very against buying an Atom powered netbook claiming it was extremely slow.

These are programmers, gamers, and graphic designers I talked to and they're the type of people who were all over the i7 when it came out (They're speed demons).

As for me I own three 400Mhz Power Mac's and my first laptop was the base model iBook at 1.2Ghz, which did the job nicely. Now I have the Macbook Pro 2.8Ghz with that fancy Core 2 Duo.

All I want a netbook for is playing my music in iTunes, watching movies encoded in XviD (with VLC), checking mail, browsing, and typing papers occasionally. My friends did recommend a CULV Laptop in netbook form, the Acer 1410, but it doesn't work for me because the wireless card is incompatible with Mac OS X at the moment and neither the brightness or sleep work correctly.

Is the Dell Mini 10v a good choice? It's faster than my iBook was or is it?

Thank you for reading this and sorry if it's in the wrong section, I just got here.
Reply With Quote
  (#2) Old
holmes4 holmes4 is offline
Administrator
 
holmes4's Avatar
 
Posts: 6,156
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: New Hampshire
Default 01-25-2010, 06:37 PM

The 10v should work fine for what you propose. The Atom processor is about the performance of a mainstream notebook processor of 2005. Yes, it's slow compared to a Core i7. More of an issue to some people is the weak graphics support, but it's adequate for many purposes.


Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
Reply With Quote
  (#3) Old
WolfKeeper WolfKeeper is offline
Retired Mini user
 
WolfKeeper's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,575
Join Date: Oct 2008
Default 01-25-2010, 06:43 PM

The only question I have is what kind of bitrates/resolution are the XviD videos encoded at?

I have a couple dozen movies on my 10v, and all play just fine, but they're not HD by any stretch of the imagination. All were encoded to fit a CDR (roughly 700MB for typical movie.) Not the greatest quality but good enough to be viewed on a netbook, IMO.


Getting an iPad
Reply With Quote
  (#4) Old
TXCiclista TXCiclista is offline
Junior Member
 
Posts: 10
Join Date: Jan 2010
Default 01-25-2010, 07:12 PM

I just finished "hackintoshing" a 10v this weekend. I upgraded the RAM to 2Gb (pretty involved process) and and now running 10.6.2 without any issues. Launch times are admittedly slow, but I knew that going in. Once the program is up and running, however, things are just fine. Heck, I can even play World of Warcraft on it with respectable FPS. Is it a speed machine? No. A the same time, I have a 3.06 GHz C2D iMac w/ 4Gb RAM and I don't feel like the 10v is THAT slow. It does what I bought it for. After all, just how fast can one reaosnably expect to type papers? lol

My only concern is that it tends to run quite hot, so I had to work with the VoodooPowerMini.kext to get the CPU to throttle on low-intensity stuff. That was a good 15-minute project (only because I didn't know the fast way to get kexts loaded).
Reply With Quote
  (#5) Old
jinxc jinxc is offline
Junior Member
 
Posts: 2
Join Date: Jan 2010
Default 01-25-2010, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfKeeper View Post
The only question I have is what kind of bitrates/resolution are the XviD videos encoded at?

I have a couple dozen movies on my 10v, and all play just fine, but they're not HD by any stretch of the imagination. All were encoded to fit a CDR (roughly 700MB for typical movie.) Not the greatest quality but good enough to be viewed on a netbook, IMO.
They're encoded how yours are, sounds great.


Quote:
Originally Posted by TXCiclista View Post
My only concern is that it tends to run quite hot, so I had to work with the VoodooPowerMini.kext to get the CPU to throttle on low-intensity stuff. That was a good 15-minute project (only because I didn't know the fast way to get kexts loaded).
Is there a good guide you used?


Thanks for all the help I think I'll buy the 10v
Reply With Quote
  (#6) Old
sdedalus1 sdedalus1 is offline
Junior Member
 
Posts: 3
Join Date: Jan 2010
Default 01-27-2010, 01:48 AM

in terms of old macs, the 10v is faster than any G4 powerbook/ibook. my 10v's geekbench score of 1001 puts it at around a 1.8ghz G5 iMac (or a 1.92ghz G4 iMac). think of it as the G5 powerbook that never materialized... but yeah for web surfing, email, and word processing it makes a great OSX machine, as long as you can deal with the size and awful touchpad (at least it has 2 finger scrolling--but you'll be much happier w/ a mouse).
Reply With Quote
  (#7) Old
Slothtyper Slothtyper is offline
Senior Member
 
Slothtyper's Avatar
 
Posts: 342
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Guambodia
Default 01-30-2010, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdedalus1 View Post
in terms of old macs, the 10v is faster than any G4 powerbook/ibook. my 10v's geekbench score of 1001 puts it at around a 1.8ghz G5 iMac (or a 1.92ghz G4 iMac). think of it as the G5 powerbook that never materialized... but yeah for web surfing, email, and word processing it makes a great OSX machine, as long as you can deal with the size and awful touchpad (at least it has 2 finger scrolling--but you'll be much happier w/ a mouse).
For the record, the same can be said about the Mini9 with a Runcore. I'm grabbing my mini all the time at home now because it's faster than my Powerbook. Soon it may finally be time for a MBP.


Mini 9 | OS X 10.6.5 Via USB Mac on 64G RunCore | 2G Ram | Bios A05 | NBI 8.4 Special | Bluetooth | Legacy Off | 1.3MP

Mini 10V
| OS X 10.6.5 Via USB Mac on 160G HD | 2G Ram | Bios A06 | NBI 8.4 Special | Bluetooth | Legacy Off | 1.3MP



Reply With Quote
  (#8) Old
chrispi79 chrispi79 is offline
Senior Member
 
Posts: 162
Join Date: Dec 2009
Default 01-30-2010, 03:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinxc View Post
They're encoded how yours are, sounds great.




Is there a good guide you used?


Thanks for all the help I think I'll buy the 10v

Here s your guide


mini10v | 10.6.3 | 2GB RAM | 64GB SSDNOW V-Series | NBI 0.8.4RC1 | A06 | BT:no | WAKEn LEGACYff
Reply With Quote
  (#9) Old
pagesk pagesk is offline
Junior Member
 
Posts: 16
Join Date: Nov 2009
Default 01-30-2010, 06:46 AM

the 10v is a least twice as fast as your old 400mhz G4's. I can barely use firefox on the old G4.
Reply With Quote
  (#10) Old
Slothtyper Slothtyper is offline
Senior Member
 
Slothtyper's Avatar
 
Posts: 342
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Guambodia
Default 01-30-2010, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagesk View Post
the 10v is a least twice as fast as your old 400mhz G4's. I can barely use firefox on the old G4.
Yeah, but mines all pimped out at 768 and 1.25gigs of ram.....haaa...

.....I'm buying a Mini 10V also, just to play


Mini 9 | OS X 10.6.5 Via USB Mac on 64G RunCore | 2G Ram | Bios A05 | NBI 8.4 Special | Bluetooth | Legacy Off | 1.3MP

Mini 10V
| OS X 10.6.5 Via USB Mac on 160G HD | 2G Ram | Bios A06 | NBI 8.4 Special | Bluetooth | Legacy Off | 1.3MP



Reply With Quote
Reply

« Which Should I Buy? | A09 vs 10v »
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Copyright © 2008-2016 MyDellMini.com.