Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default Getting my mini 9 this week - 12-21-2008, 10:34 PM

Hello all!
My mini 9 should be arriving this week and I'm already gathering a list of things to do. I've ordered an hd sd card from newegg and a 2gb memory module. I had a quick question for all those who have installed OSX: My research has led me to believe you can't use above a certain size sd card for storage (4gb?) when OSX is installed. This would be the only issue I would have with installing OSX in the near future.

My mini has a 16gb ssd, for my purposes that would be adequate storage (especially since I'm using an 16gb SD card as secondary storage). If I were to istall OSX and lose my secondary storage I would be have to upgrade the SSD sooner than I would've liked. Is purchasing a larger capacity SSD the solution to my issue? Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.
  (#2) Old

Default Re: Getting my mini 9 this week - 12-24-2008, 01:38 AM

anyone?
  (#3) Old
Guru

Send a message via AIM to UnaClocker Send a message via Yahoo to UnaClocker
Default Re: Getting my mini 9 this week - 12-24-2008, 08:19 AM

OSX just got SDHC support (albeit very slow read and writes till someone adds that to the driver too), so you might be able to keep plugging along with your 16 and 16 approach if you're not trying to run apps of the SDHC or play movie files off of it..
As for replacing the SSD. Especially in OSX there are some good reasons: Sleep.. You can close the lid and put the machine to sleep, no need to shut the computer down when you're done and then wait for it to boot back up before you can start again.. The original SSD that comes with these machines just will not wake from sleep with OSX. It's obviously a driver issue, but one that nobody has been able to solve, so the hardware solution is what many have gone with. And there's a plus to that anyways.. The second good reason to replace the SSD applies to all the OS's.. Speed, the replacement drives, RunCore to be specific, are significantly faster than the stock drives. This makes the machine sooo much more usable.
Toss in the fact that you can go as large as 64gb so you can really install all the apps you want without concern about space, and it's really a win win deal.

Tired of wondering if your Mini9 is doing ANYTHING? - Add a HDD Activity LED
  (#4) Old

Default Re: Getting my mini 9 this week - 12-24-2008, 11:45 AM

Thanks for the reply unaclocker. I guess the sdcard I ordered wasn't a complete waste, it will hold me over until I get a SSD. From reading the guides it seems I have to get my hands on an OSX retail disc so I can do the install. Thanks again for the help...Happy Holidays

« proud owner of mini 12 | Got Mini 9 for my wifey~! »