Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default Newby ? Why would I want to Hackintosh my Mini10 - 01-13-2010, 08:23 PM

I won't go into why I am getting another netbook lets just say Dell's tech support and customer service is horrible. I am waiting for a Dell Mini1012 to arrive it is still being produced. So, who knows when that will be.

I found this site in my frustration looking for help on how to deal with Dell. I found all the post about turning a mini 10 into a hackintosh.

I have never had a macbook or apple. I have just grown up on windows based computers. Why would I switch my netbook 1012 to a hackintosh?

What are the pros and cons ?

They are configuring the mini 1012 to have a 160 gb hard drive and 1 mb ram. Also, it has windows xp ?

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Patrick
  (#2) Old

Default 01-13-2010, 09:01 PM

1012s aren't out in the wild for Hackintoshing yet...but once they start landing, I am sure people will be testing as well as updating the NBM/NBI build to Hackintosh the 1012.

Patience is all we can give you as a tip.
Keep perusing on anything 10V related. I would imagine steps to Hackintosh will be very similar between 1012 and 10V.

Mini 10v
  (#3) Old

Default 01-13-2010, 09:19 PM

IMO, if you're happy with Windows, there really isn't any reason to hackintosh unless you have a burning desire to be able to say you've done it or want to try out OSX without spending $1,000+ for a new MacBook. In the end, it's all a matter of personal preference. Those who prefer OSX but like the smaller form factor of the Mini 9/10v can choose to install OSX, just as those who prefer Linux can choose to install their favorite distro in place of Windows.

In any event, no one knows for sure if the 1012 will be easily hackintoshable, so it may be a non-issue. If you think this is something you'd like to try, now or in the future, you might be better off going with a Mini 10v (1011) instead of the 1012.
  (#4) Old
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to rrfranczak3 Send a message via MSN to rrfranczak3 Send a message via Yahoo to rrfranczak3
Cool 01-13-2010, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pburchins View Post

They are configuring the mini 1012 to have a 160 gb hard drive and 1 mb ram. Also, it has windows xp ?

Patrick

I dont think you have much choice dude...thats the only way they come
outside of XP, you could get Win 7, but the HD and RAM you dont have a choice over....YET..

Dell Mini 10 (Obsidian Black 1010), 2gb RAM, 1.66ghz 533mhz FSB (Z530) processor, A10 BIOS, 1 Terabyte (1000 GB) WD Scorpio Blue Hard Drive (5400rpm), Intel GMA 500 Integrated Graphics, TV Tuner, Bluetooth 2.1 module with EDR, 1.3mp Camera, 1366x768 HD Screen, Wireless 1510 b/g/n mini card, 6 cell (56WHr) Battery, 4gb SDHC, 64gb Flashdrive, Targus Netbook Chillpad, Targus Sport Case, Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (500gb)/Windows 8.1 (500gb) (Dual Boot)

iPad 4 (64gb) w/Retina,Targus Versavu Case
  (#5) Old

Default 01-14-2010, 01:03 AM

Yeah, if you don't use OSX currently or don't see the fun in hacking your Dell, then don't bother. Just because you have the option, doesn't mean you have to do it. I've had my Mini9 for a while and haven't run anything but windows 7 on it - because I'm a windows person, and I have other, easier ways to play with OSX.
  (#6) Old

Default 01-14-2010, 01:04 AM

If you're happy with Windows, stick with it. It'll run more predictably with no quirks or need for tweaking anything. Since OSX wasn't your original intention, the only reason you'd do it is because you like to play or want to try OSX. If you rely on the netbook, I wouldn't mess with it. If it's an extra computer you could go without for a while should something go wrong and want to tinker, have fun! It'll be a couple weeks before we find out how/if OSX works on the 1012 and what's needed. I'm guessing that now that you've discovered the possibility and are thinking about it, if it works you'll be modding.

P.S. - Welcome to the forum!

« Using 10v video storage platform | About to buy a Mini for OSX - Need purchasing advice »