Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default VERY basic questions - 12-20-2008, 10:39 PM

Please be fair warned these are truly beginner questions.

I would like to install MS Word on my new mini instead of using the MS Works that came with it but I'm not sure how to do it. I have a SDHC card but I don't know how to put Word on it so I can install it on the mini. I want to use Word because I'm used to it.

I also am wondering why the first thing that people are doing is a clean install of Windows XP when they first get their mini, because it comes with so many "extra's" Is it really necessary if you don't know how to do it or why you are doing it? I have a 16 SSD with a 1GB DDR2 and I'm planning to use it mainly for access to the Internet, mail and word processing.

And finally I don't have a wireless network yet so I was wondering if I could unplug my desktop from the modem and just plug it into the mini and have internet access until I can get a wireless router?

Thanks in advance for any answers you may be able to provide. I'm trying to learn as much as I can.
  (#2) Old

Default Re: VERY basic questions - 12-21-2008, 12:13 AM

There are several possibilities for Word. You can buy or borrow a USB CD or DVD drive. You can put the CD in another networked PC and share it. You may be able to copy the entire CD to a USB stick or SD card. You could make an iso file of the CD, put that on a USB stick or SD card, then mount it on the Mini (needs additional software). Or you could use OpenOffice.org instead.

There's no absolute need to remove anything which comes pre-installed, nor is there any absolute need to do a clean re-install. It is a matter of preference. If you are happy with it as it is, then that's ok. Personally I didn't do a clean re-install, merely removed what I didn't want starting with McAfee. Some of the stuff that's pre-installed will make the Mini slower than it could be, some of it makes very little difference. If you remove McAfee, you should use some other anti-virus such as Avast or NOD32.

You can improve the performance without removing anything by decompressing the drive. Depending on what you do with the Mini, replacing the 1GB RAM with 2GB may speed things up too. If you just do web browsing and email, then the extra 1GB is unlikely to be worth it. Remember that many people who post on here are trying to push the Mini to its limits: not everyone wants to do that, but there is a middle ground between leaving it as-is, and wringing the last drop of performance out of it!

If you have a serial modem, you can't plug it into the Mini without a serial to USB adapter. If you have a USB modem it will probably need drivers. If the "modem" isn't really a modem but is some form of router with an ethernet output, then you can plug it straight in to the Mini - you may need to power cycle the router once. It is also possible you have other software required for your modem or ISP, in which case you need that too. More info is required for a better answer.

Black Mini 9 2GB/64GB - XP
White Mini 9 2GB/4GB - UNR 9.10
  (#3) Old

Send a message via ICQ to dayene Send a message via AIM to dayene Send a message via MSN to dayene Send a message via Yahoo to dayene
Default Re: VERY basic questions - 12-21-2008, 12:48 AM

use a portable ms office suite instead.

http://www.dayene00.blogspot.com
http://www.dayene-photos.blogspot.com
http://www.dayene-iphonetography.blogspot.com

Dell Mini 9 => White, Windows Ulitimate, 16GB SSD, G. Skill 2GB RAM, 1.3MP webcam.
  (#4) Old
Administrator

Default Re: VERY basic questions - 12-21-2008, 01:33 AM

There's nothing wrong with wanting to use MS Office, and many circumstances where it is preferable to other solutions.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#5) Old

Default Re: VERY basic questions - 12-21-2008, 02:26 AM

norrisg makes some good suggestion for ways to get Word on your Mini. I invested in a portable CD/DVD drive, both to install software, and to run a game (Riven) that requires the DVD inserted to play.

As for the pre-installed stuff that comes with the Mini...I did the same as norrisg, just uninstalled McAffee and a handful of other things. I have the 16 gb version with XP, and it suits my needs for now. I'm waiting on the new Runcore 32 gb drive, and have a new OEM version of Vista Home, so when the drive comes, I'll do a fresh install of Vista on that (vlite to remove language packs etc).

Are you on dial-up or DSL? I have Qwest DSL and use their DSL gateway for my desktop system. The gateway has four ports (to connect to four different computers), so I use a standard ethernet type cable. I bought an extra one and use one of the other remaining ports to connect either my Inspiron 6000 laptop or my mini....because like you I don't have a wireless router or network going.
  (#6) Old

Default Re: VERY basic questions - 12-27-2008, 06:28 PM

Thanks to all who offered advice. I'm still becoming familiar with my new mini and haven't really had a chance to make the changes yet.

« Few questions re: a clean install of XP Home | Network Help »