Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Smile Mini 10 - Random crashes after installing ubuntu 9.04 - 01-06-2010, 09:17 PM

i've recently installed ubuntu 9.04 on my mini 1010. its got the gma500 graphics chip and so was a real pain getting the resolution to 1024. the video is still choppy and cant seem to install/play flash videos. as well as that the machine also seems to just randomly hang - anywhere between when its been on for as little as 5 minutes to an hour. i can still move the cursor but nothing actions and no keyboard commands function either. im pretty new to ubuntu so wouldn't know where to start even investigating what the issue could be.

anyone got any good ideas?
  (#2) Old

Default 01-06-2010, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Vigo View Post
i've recently installed ubuntu 9.04 on my mini 1010. its got the gma500 graphics chip and so was a real pain getting the resolution to 1024. the video is still choppy and cant seem to install/play flash videos. as well as that the machine also seems to just randomly hang - anywhere between when its been on for as little as 5 minutes to an hour. i can still move the cursor but nothing actions and no keyboard commands function either. im pretty new to ubuntu so wouldn't know where to start even investigating what the issue could be.

anyone got any good ideas?
Welcome to the world of Linux on the 1010. I wish I could paint a better picture; but its just not there. While I have never had my 1010 lock up running XP it happens all the time with 9.04, 9.10 and Mandriva 2010. The problem is still the drivers that try to make 1024X600 usable on the 1010.
There are people (Sammyboy) who have found ways to make the 1010 use 1024X576 (600), on the 1010 and not hang up; but it requires more work than most people are willing to put into it. It is a problem that rears its ugly head again and again when you had thought you had it fixed. Updates are a source of problems with the drivers for GMA 500 also.
Believe me I have been following this saga for more than eight months and the problems are still there. Not that I have given up on Linux on the 1010; I have all three of the above (plus Fedora 11) installed to SD/hc cards and USB flash drives and I use them all the time. But I have no plans to stop using XP and just use Linux. XP just works; same for Win 7. fdalbor

Dell Mini 1010 XP--10.04/Mandriva One/Joli 1.2
Compaq R4000 laptop AMD 64
Compaq SR2034NX AMD 64
  (#3) Old

Default 01-07-2010, 02:13 PM

thanks fdalbor, appreciate the response. ok then, here's another one - how do i go about getting a windows xp install back on when i only have the dell cd and no cd drive. looking for ways to get it onto a usb but no joy so far and really don't want to have to spend upwards of 40euros just to get a windows install back on

going to put split it with linux as i'd still like to mess about with it, but i just can't use it for work with an 800x600 resolution

« Disc capacity issues | Dell mini 10v maximum ram frequency??? »