Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default looking to buy a mini 10 - 01-05-2010, 04:45 PM

hello all, i am looking to purchase a mini 10, and hope that anyone on the forum could answer a few questions for me.

would a mini 10 be ok for the following
  • as a mecanic ill be running car diagnostic software on machine, size is a premium, as larger laptops get in the way whilst dignosing faults etc
  • would need to connect to a 42" LCD via hdmi to watch 700mb\1gb avi movies
  • difital tv card to watch tv whilst out at work, on call in van etc
  • would i be able to install the XP media centre add-on on top of xp, connect it to my TV, and 5.1 stereo via headphone socket, and use a b\tooth media remote to control access to music\video etc
  • web surfing, but no games
i know this is a lot to ask, but have seen this DELL INSPIRON MINI 10 LAPTOP 1.6 1GB 160GB TV WWAN XP on eBay (end time 04-Jan-10 20:01:00 GMT)

would this suffice seller also says he can upgrade to 3gb with an additional 2gn RAM, but am dubios, or would i be better off waititng for the new del 1012, but i am led to believe that no upgrades are available from dell at the mo, ref TV tuner, and also the 1012 has no HDMI port

thanks for any help and advice on this

regards

siffion
  (#2) Old
Expert Member

Default 01-05-2010, 05:28 PM

Not knowing any specs on your diag software, I'd recommend going with 2GB as well as the larger resolution/HD model, which that one didn't look to specify the screen resolution.
Also I think you'll want to go with Windows 7 as the video drivers are better. At least for my older 10, the new driver can go to a resolution bigger than the screen, which looks a bit odd but fits way more on the screen, and as well fills my 47" TV when connected via HDMI. I haven't tested it with XP other than when I got it, but connecting it to a 50" TV was only giving an image about 50% of the screen area.
I'd keep an eye out for one in the Outlet center with 2GB of RAM.

C:\M11xR2\320GBHD\4GBRAM\W7HP
D:\duo\320GBHD\2GBRAM\W8DP
  (#3) Old

Default 01-05-2010, 05:47 PM

cheers for info. diag software will run on anything over a pentium 2 really old software but does the job

what do you think ref the ebay link, is it worth it, and is he making sense with regard to the ram

also, sorry to be a pain, could you see this working with a bluetooth media remote

cheers for advice
  (#4) Old
Expert Member

Default 01-05-2010, 06:06 PM

To me it doesn't seem to be that great of a deal, but may be in the UK. I'd dig around some too, I know I've seen at least one thread here with a fellow in the UK having problems with his 10 and TV tuner.
So your probably fine with the 1GB, but would have to purchase XP Media Center Edition, or get a third party program. Dell includes some tuner software I'm sure but suspect it's rather limited. It doesn't mention if it has BT on board, so as long as the remote had a USB receiver than you should be able to use it just fine
Really though, for what your wanting, for the diag software I'd get a cheap 9 or 10 from the outlet with an SSD for battery life and look at something a little bigger for media playback with better video options.

C:\M11xR2\320GBHD\4GBRAM\W7HP
D:\duo\320GBHD\2GBRAM\W8DP
  (#5) Old
Administrator

Default 01-05-2010, 06:55 PM

The Mini 10 cannot have its RAM upgraded in any practical way. The seller is VERY much mistaken if he thinks he can add 2GB to it. Other than that, it should do what you want.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#6) Old

Default 01-05-2010, 07:25 PM

cheers for all advice, i have just seen this on UK dell site, but when chatting to online sales support i get conflicting information

http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/pr...kdhs1&ref=lthp

they say that the internal TV option is not available for the dell mini 10, where as the link says that it is available. this would be the 1st time i have dealt with dell is this the norm with the online sales guys

regards
  (#7) Old
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to rrfranczak3 Send a message via MSN to rrfranczak3 Send a message via Yahoo to rrfranczak3
Cool 01-05-2010, 07:33 PM

be careful they might also try to tell you that the memory is upgradable too

Dell Mini 10 (Obsidian Black 1010), 2gb RAM, 1.66ghz 533mhz FSB (Z530) processor, A10 BIOS, 1 Terabyte (1000 GB) WD Scorpio Blue Hard Drive (5400rpm), Intel GMA 500 Integrated Graphics, TV Tuner, Bluetooth 2.1 module with EDR, 1.3mp Camera, 1366x768 HD Screen, Wireless 1510 b/g/n mini card, 6 cell (56WHr) Battery, 4gb SDHC, 64gb Flashdrive, Targus Netbook Chillpad, Targus Sport Case, Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (500gb)/Windows 8.1 (500gb) (Dual Boot)

iPad 4 (64gb) w/Retina,Targus Versavu Case
  (#8) Old

Default 01-05-2010, 07:37 PM

this is starting to be a bit of a nightmare. i really dont want to buy from ebay, would rather pay a premium and either get from dell or an outlet, just would like a mini 10 with tv card, 2gb ram if poss, hi-def screen, HDMI sim card and bluetooth addon.

the dell website seems to be allover the place. can anyone recommend an outlet that is in the UK, or will ship to the UK

again, cheers in advance
  (#9) Old
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to rrfranczak3 Send a message via MSN to rrfranczak3 Send a message via Yahoo to rrfranczak3
Cool 01-05-2010, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by siffion View Post
this is starting to be a bit of a nightmare. i really dont want to buy from ebay, would rather pay a premium and either get from dell or an outlet, just would like a mini 10 with tv card, 2gb ram if poss, hi-def screen, HDMI sim card and bluetooth addon.

the dell website seems to be allover the place. can anyone recommend an outlet that is in the UK, or will ship to the UK

again, cheers in advance
everything you want with the exception of the 2gb is possible..just not too sure how the UK works

Dell Mini 10 (Obsidian Black 1010), 2gb RAM, 1.66ghz 533mhz FSB (Z530) processor, A10 BIOS, 1 Terabyte (1000 GB) WD Scorpio Blue Hard Drive (5400rpm), Intel GMA 500 Integrated Graphics, TV Tuner, Bluetooth 2.1 module with EDR, 1.3mp Camera, 1366x768 HD Screen, Wireless 1510 b/g/n mini card, 6 cell (56WHr) Battery, 4gb SDHC, 64gb Flashdrive, Targus Netbook Chillpad, Targus Sport Case, Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (500gb)/Windows 8.1 (500gb) (Dual Boot)

iPad 4 (64gb) w/Retina,Targus Versavu Case

« new inspiron mini 10v owner | Disc capacity issues »