Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Thumbs up new inspiron mini 10v owner - 01-04-2010, 07:09 PM

Hi folks, new netbook owner and new to the forum.

I'd like to be able to watch dvd's on my netbook but am having problems.

I have installed a usb dvd drive, but when I put a dvd in to watch I am being told that "this version of powerDVD does not support dolby digital audio".

I am using Windows 7 and PowerDVD 8.

Anyone had this problem before? Also, I tried to use Windows Media Player but couldn't figure out how to get the dvd to play in Windows Media Player.

Any help at all much appreciated, great site by the way.
  (#2) Old
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to rrfranczak3 Send a message via MSN to rrfranczak3 Send a message via Yahoo to rrfranczak3
Cool 01-04-2010, 07:39 PM

it sounds like a driver issue, make sure that you have the latest drivers installed.

PS. Welcome to the forum

might try going to whoever makes the DVD drives website and check for the latest Windows 7 drivers

Dell Mini 10 (Obsidian Black 1010), 2gb RAM, 1.66ghz 533mhz FSB (Z530) processor, A10 BIOS, 1 Terabyte (1000 GB) WD Scorpio Blue Hard Drive (5400rpm), Intel GMA 500 Integrated Graphics, TV Tuner, Bluetooth 2.1 module with EDR, 1.3mp Camera, 1366x768 HD Screen, Wireless 1510 b/g/n mini card, 6 cell (56WHr) Battery, 4gb SDHC, 64gb Flashdrive, Targus Netbook Chillpad, Targus Sport Case, Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (500gb)/Windows 8.1 (500gb) (Dual Boot)

iPad 4 (64gb) w/Retina,Targus Versavu Case
  (#3) Old
Administrator

Default 01-04-2010, 07:43 PM

Windows Media Player can't play DVDs without a DVD decoder, which must be obtained separately (usually costs money). I assume your DVD drive came with an OEM version of PowerDVD - you may want to check its documentation or ask the manufacturer for help with that.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#4) Old

Default 01-05-2010, 05:25 PM

If you want to avoid having to purchase a DVD decoder for use with Microsoft Windows Media Player I highly recommend using VLC Media Player which you can download for free at VLC media player - Open Source Multimedia Framework and Player

It works great for all media formats and specifically works great with my Mini 10v and my LG 8x Slim Portable External Super Multi DVD Rewriter (Model GP08LU10).
  (#5) Old

Default 01-05-2010, 05:37 PM

I was having trouble with the Dell branded external usb DVD drive skipping occasionally when playing movies. I downloaded the VLC media player yesterday that jax2chl mentioned. It solved the skipping problem. A Dell tecky did this thru remote access after we tried different computers with the DVD drive. It was a software problem.

« Well ill introduce myself 7 a couple questions | looking to buy a mini 10 »