Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default SD Card/MicroSD and Main HDD/SDD - 12-31-2009, 01:44 AM

OK guys I've had a browse of similar threads but haven't found the answer I'm looking for. Basically I'm new to using external drives/SD cards. Basically only ever used the one drive then a usb stick carrying photos/documents.

So i've got 16gb SSD as main drive. I'm running Ubuntu 9.10. I'm new to Linux being an ex-windows user. I'm hoping to install Windows and OSX on the machine in time. Those will squeeze onto the SSD but then leave with me no space for much else.

Can I then keep a 16gb SD card in the machine and then install apps to it without hitch in speed and accessibility? Or should i contemplate NOT installing one of the other two OS's and keep enough GB of SSD space for my main apps and then use the SD card for documents and multimedia??

What do you guys think? I'm trying to avoid buying a larger SSD.
  (#2) Old
Expert Member

Default 12-31-2009, 01:58 AM

I don't know about the apps, I guess some will run fine. There was the whole PITA jump drive feature that allowed running of some apps from them.
I have to scoff at 3 OS's on a 16GB drive though, I'd say forget about the SD and get at least a 32GB SSD, or 64GB if you can swing it and not worry about what will or won't run from an SD card, and not having to constantly fiddle with OS's running out of drive space.

C:\M11xR2\320GBHD\4GBRAM\W7HP
D:\duo\320GBHD\2GBRAM\W8DP
  (#3) Old

Default 12-31-2009, 02:27 AM

I just can't stretch to buying another SSD right now. I think that I'll learn Ubuntu, install Windows 7 and see how i get on from there. If I want Snow Leopard on too then I'll add a 32gb SSD and hope I find a buyer for the 16gb SSD!!

Cheers mate, I've already asked about the 3 OS's on the 16gb SSD before but someone said you could squeeze them on. You're right tho. That was my suspicion.

Dell Mini 10v - N270 1.6Ghz, 1Gb RAM, 16gb SSD, Wi-Fi n. Ubuntu 9.10.
  (#4) Old

Default 12-31-2009, 02:33 AM

I haven't had much experience running apps from an SD card, but I've certainly stored documents, music, etc. on the card without a problem. I'm not sure if you're familiar with "portable" apps, but I've tried out a few of those to save space and most seem to work well. There are good lists available at these two sites, among others:

Applications | PortableApps.com - Portable software for USB drives
Free Portable Software USB Flash Drive Applications | Pendriveapps

I have to go with Thorsteensteer though and recommend that you upgrade the SSD if you're planning to dual or triple boot. I think OSX alone needs at least 8 GB of space. Trying to shoehorn OSX and Windows on a single 16GB SSD might be difficult, though I'm sure there are people around here who have done it.

Good luck with whatever you decide!
  (#5) Old

Default 12-31-2009, 03:13 AM

Cool, I've bookmarked those pages. Never heard of such a site. I'm sure they'll come in handy in the future.

32gb SSD for around £100 is pretty expensive. I'm gona wait on it. Keep my eye on ebay for a while before dipping into my pocket.

Thanks for your help.

Dell Mini 10v - N270 1.6Ghz, 1Gb RAM, 16gb SSD, Wi-Fi n. Ubuntu 9.10.
  (#6) Old
Expert Member

Default 12-31-2009, 03:21 AM

You know, something else you could do too, keep an eye out in the For Sale section here, and/or Ebay for other 8GB or 16GB SSD's from people upgrading there's, then just do each one with a different OS. Well if it's a Mini 9 it's easy to swap the SSD, if you have a 10, disregard lol.

I'm in NoVA too lauriem, hope your ready for more snow! lol

C:\M11xR2\320GBHD\4GBRAM\W7HP
D:\duo\320GBHD\2GBRAM\W8DP
  (#7) Old
Administrator

Default 12-31-2009, 03:50 PM

Windows, in particular, doesn't like to install programs on a removable device. I have seen references in this forum to a Toshiba driver that will make Windows think the SD card is "fixed".

Note that the Mini 9/A90 won't boot from the SD slot.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10

« iTunes is a Pain | boot screen »