Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default ARG!!!!!!!! Battery not recognized, bios won't update - 12-18-2008, 05:57 PM

So I have had my mini for about 2 hours. Plugged it in immediately and left for an hour. Then booted it up. Tried to move it and realized that the batter was not recognized. Doesn't think it has one and immediately dies (also doesn't think it has one so isn't charging).

Got on Dell support chat and after waiting they said they were not trained on these yet so I have to call. I called and the system doesn't think it exists (it is a refurb). So I have to wait forever for a guy to route my call. He says he will transfer me but I should have called a different number. He gives me the number and it is the same one I called.

I looked around here and think I might need to update my bios. So I download the bios update and it fails (tried six times.) Still on hold from the transfer about 25 minutes now.

Anyone have any ideas about either the battery or the bios update.
  (#2) Old

Default Re: ARG!!!!!!!! Battery not recognized, bios won't update - 12-18-2008, 06:35 PM

Just got off the phone. They decided that I need a new battery. I mentioned the bios problem and he said do not update the bios it might crash your mother board. We will call or write you a letter if you ever need to update the bios (whatever).

But all of that is on hold because my computer is not associated with my account. So after being on hold for over 45 mins while they were trying to fix it, they said they would call me back once it was fixed and then send me a new battery.
  (#3) Old

Default Re: ARG!!!!!!!! Battery not recognized, bios won't update - 12-18-2008, 08:34 PM

You said the battery isn't recognized, and that the machine dies, but while it was in this obviously half-broken state, you decided to update the BIOS anyway? Correct?

Black Mini 9 2GB/64GB - XP
White Mini 9 2GB/4GB - UNR 9.10
  (#4) Old

Default Re: ARG!!!!!!!! Battery not recognized, bios won't update - 12-18-2008, 09:22 PM

I said that while plugged in I tried to upgrade the Bios because there was a suggestion that that would solve the problem. I understand there is a danger of upgrading a bios while on battery power. But there is no greater danger of doing a bios upgrade while plugged in than there would be doing a bios upgrade on a desktop computer.
  (#5) Old

Default Re: ARG!!!!!!!! Battery not recognized, bios won't update - 12-18-2008, 09:39 PM

First, you did say it had died. Second, if you are having power issues (a battery problem is a power issue), then I'd say updating the BIOS is never a good idea. I wouldn't do it to a desktop PC attached to a malfunctioning UPS for example.

Who suggested updating the BIOS as a cure for the battery not being recognized anyway? I doubt Dell would have loads of satisfied (to a greater or less extent) customers if every one of them needed a BIOS update to make it recognize the battery!

I suspect that in addition to the battery problem, you've now bricked the Mini too. Your best bet is to get Dell to exchange it and start afresh.

Black Mini 9 2GB/64GB - XP
White Mini 9 2GB/4GB - UNR 9.10
  (#6) Old

Default Re: ARG!!!!!!!! Battery not recognized, bios won't update - 12-20-2008, 07:22 PM

I just called in to Dell Tech Support with the same issue. If my Mini 9 is plugged in it works fine, but the battery won't charge and if i unplug it from the wall it just turns off.

The tech support guy had me download a BIOS update as well. We tried running it, but it also failed. When I asked why, he said because the BIOS software update wouldn't run if the computer wasn't plugged into the wall (which it was) and the battery didn't have at least a 10% charge (which obviously it didn't, because my Mini 9 doesn't recognize the battery).

In the end, he also had them ship me a new battery that I should get on Monday, so we'll see what happens.

Based on what the tech support guy told me, I really don't think you just bricked your Mini 9. My guess is the software didn't even run (and therefore didn't mess with your current BIOS software) because your battery didn't have a 10% charge.

My advice would be to wait and see if the new battery works and go from there...at least that's what I have to do :roll:

Hope this helped...at least you know someone else has the same problem. Good luck!
  (#7) Old

Default Re: ARG!!!!!!!! Battery not recognized, bios won't update - 12-20-2008, 07:33 PM

After talking to 19 people at Dell (transfered 18 times in 2 days because the warranty was not correctly set up and there was some issue with my account) they shipped me a battery. They tried to get me to update the bios and it wouldn't update. So he is sending me a battery, but said if it is the same problem, then it is a motherboard problem and they want me to send the computer back.
  (#8) Old

Default Re: ARG!!!!!!!! Battery not recognized, bios won't update - 01-04-2009, 04:14 AM

I'm having similar issues, so I thought I'd add my experience so far.

Some history...
I get 1 or 2 full charges out of each battery, started with the one that shipped with the Mini. When it happened the first time, I got bounced around quite a bit with Dell support, and eventually received my first replacement battery. Before they would send that out, I was recommended to update the BIOS, so I did to A02.
It didn't solve the issue, so the entire Mini went back to Dell. It returned promptly, with nothing filled out on the "work-performed" sheet of paper. I was told by a tech later that they replaced the motherboard. The Mini came back with BIOS A00, and another new battery, this time of the "KR-" serial number variety, so it was only showing as a 24.4Wh, instead of 32 like the original battery. This battery had the same issue, took a couple of charges, nothing more and the Mini only runs on AC power. I complained about the 24.4Wh battery, had them send yet another battery, and a new AC adapter as well... all with the same result.
The BIOS is up to A03 right now... nothing changed as far as the battery/charging issues.
The Mini is now going back to Dell again... the saga continues.

Items that might be of interest to others:
If the battery has any charge, it shows as Status: Charged (as opposed to Charging). The icon on the taskbar, however, does have the little plug showing, not just the battery.
If the battery has 0% charge, only the battery icon shows.
Design charge: 24.4Wh

I'm tempted to dual-boot with XP to see if XP has the same battery issues, or if it reads the status differently.
Everything so far has been Ubuntu, as it was delivered initially. I did upgrade the repositories to the hardy-netbook-remix sources at one point to see if that made a different also. In the process I think I lost the ability to create a USB rescue media, but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it...

Thoughts? Suggestions?

JC
  (#9) Old

Default Re: ARG!!!!!!!! Battery not recognized, bios won't update - 01-04-2009, 04:22 AM

My end result was that it was just a bad battery. Once I got a new battery it worked first time and my bios upgrade worked fine as well.
  (#10) Old

Default WOW... a fix! - 01-04-2009, 04:23 AM

All I can say is WOW.
The fix was to enable and re-disable Airplane Mode... :!:
battery-not-charging-t440.html#p3195

It is now charging quite rapidly in fact, reporting a Status of Charging, and with a reasonable Charge time.
I'm still not happy about the 24.4Wh battery... hmm.

I can't believe it was this easy and Dell isn't aware of it?!

« SD card classes | WWAN on Dell Mini 9 »