Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default Couple of questions. Help appreciated. - 12-16-2009, 04:00 PM

Hey guys, I have a few possibly noobish questions:

Firstly, I was on the dell site looking at the Dell Mini v10's and there are several versions:
Dell Link

Looking at the prices, and the fact that I already own a version of Win 7 Home Premium and Windows XP professional, I'd rather not spend more money on the Windows versions.

And after lurking around the forum for a while, I found that the main worry was the Bios versions.

My question is this; Does it matter which OS I get pre-installed from Dell as the bios will probably get flashed anyway? Will the bios be different because of said operating system choice?

(Because I was looking at this one.)

----

My second question is regarding Dual Boot. Will it be possible? Because I'd love to be able to play things like Total Annihilation on this puppy.

And my third question:
The CPU's all have different names in the dell pages. What's the difference? (They are only minute differences in the names, but I'd like to make sure before buying one)

Windows 7 CPU: "IntelĀ® Atom™ Processor N270 (1.6GHz, 533MHz, 512K cache)"
Windows XP CPU: "IntelĀ® Atom™ Processor Z530 (1.6GHz, 533MHz) 1GB RAM"
Ubuntu Linux CPU : "N-Series IntelĀ® Atom™ Processor N270 (1.6GHz, 533MHz, 512K cache)"
----

Thanks for any help

----
Links:
Dell Mini 10v Main Page
Dell Mini 10v + Windows 7
Dell Mini 10v + Windows XP
Dell Mini 10v + Ubuntu Linux OS
  (#2) Old
Guru

Default 12-16-2009, 05:20 PM

I not aware of any differences between the base hardware in the Linux 10v and the Windows 10v (just different RAM options, drive options, etc).

As for CPUs, the 10v has the very common N270. Or as an option, the slightly faster N280. N-series CPUs are usually paired with the older, but stable and well-supported, Intel chipset with GMA950 graphics.

The Mini 10 (not the 10v) has Z-series Atom CPUs. The Z-series Atoms are aimed at lower power-consumption, but they sacrifice CPU performance-for-the-price (and I/O performance, too .. I believe). You can get faster Z-series CPUs, but they cost more than the N-series at the same performance level.

The Z-series is also integrated with the GMA500 graphics chip. The GMA500 probably has more potential than the GMA950, but zero OSX support and almost zero Linux support. Even the Windows support seemed to start out poor (seems to be much better now).

As a Linux user, I'd never get a GMA500 netbook (So, among Dell netbooks, I like the Mini 9/Vostro A90, Mini 10v, and Latitude 2100). But you sound like a Windows user, so the GMA500 might work well for you.

As for dual-booting, there should be no issue with dual-booting standard PC OSs on a 10v. Standard PC OSs will also dual-boot on the 10, but most will have awkward/poor graphics performance.

Dual-booting with OSX is more difficult, but plenty of people have done it.

I hope that helps answer some of your questions.

Mini 9 | Intel 5100 Wifi | Ubuntu 10.04 Netbook
Mini 1012 | SSD | Intel 6200 Wifi | Ubuntu 11.10 64bit
  (#3) Old

Default 12-16-2009, 09:36 PM

I have been a Windows user for a while now. Never had any problems myself. But I like to try different things. Believe it or not, I did a Software Development course for two years, which got me interested in Linux. However I never had the time to try it out properly, and compatibility issues with my hardware made time even more limited.

This whole idea came from reading OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard on Dell mini 10V – Inspiron 1011 osx86sv.com and the ease of it sounded appealing.

Right now I'm looking for a toy, a little project to mess around with.
---

If the bios settings only really include drive and ram differences to the OSX version, I presume that it shouldn't matter much as the bios will probably need to be flashed anyway.

The graphical power will only need to be enough to run basic applications, and things such as media player visualisations (or iTunes visualisations.)

I'd probably be looking at the N series cores then, as its doubtful that I'll be using the Netbook much outside of home/college.

The Latitude 2100 looks incredibly fun with the potential touch screen.

---
Which would you recommend to me, from experience or from friends/family?

And thanks again for the help
  (#4) Old
Guru

Default 12-16-2009, 10:13 PM

If you're interested in OSX, you'll have to ask someone else who knows more about it. But both the Mini 9/Vostro A90 and 10v are common choices for hackintoshes.

I like the Mini 9/Vostro A90. I'd recommend it to anyone who doesn't need a large storage drive. Its keyboard is cramped, but the small size is also a blessing. If you want a larger keyboard, or a larger, standard HDD, get a 10v (the 10v also has better availability nowadays). The Latitude 2100 has several cool features (including Gigabit Ethernet and an optional touchscreen), but I don't know how well it runs OSX (Windows and Linux should be fine, though).

Mini 9 | Intel 5100 Wifi | Ubuntu 10.04 Netbook
Mini 1012 | SSD | Intel 6200 Wifi | Ubuntu 11.10 64bit
  (#5) Old

Default 12-16-2009, 10:23 PM

Thanks alot~

I'll look around for something on the Latitude 2100 and OSX (I doubt there would be any kind of touch support at all on OSX though), and if not, I'll probably go with the 10v.

Cheers again reflex

« probably a stupid question | i want mac os but.... »