Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Question New owner, old name - 12-11-2009, 04:51 AM

I really like my mini tens and nines (plurals for both)! I got kinda obsessive-compulsive when I saw the possibilities of these little machines and bought several of Craigslist and ebay. I had never bought Windows machines with the software already installed, and am now looking at a collection of former owners names in some of the computers.

Do I need to re-install to get the names up to date (I hope not!)???

If not, where is the magic eraser to remove the old names and allow me and my sister (when she gets her birthday/Christmas gift) to become the registered owners of these computers??

Thanks very much!

BC
  (#2) Old
Super Moderator

Default 12-11-2009, 09:43 AM

Hi,

Welcome to the Forum!

Dell have a 'Transfer of Ownership Form' on their website, which you can find at: Dell - Ownership Transfers

Hope this helps!

Mini 10v - Product (RED) - BIOS A06 - Ubuntu 11.04 - 2GB RAM - 60 GB OCZ Vertex SSD - Bluetooth - Intel 6205 Wi-Fi - WWAN
  (#3) Old

Thumbs up New Owner, Old Name - part two - 12-11-2009, 02:56 PM

Thanks for the response! That's perfect for transferring ownership in Dell's records, and valuable for warranty and service work. I would also like to purge the "Registered Owner" that pops up variously in, oh, M$ Works, for example.

ATB

BC
  (#4) Old
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to rrfranczak3 Send a message via MSN to rrfranczak3 Send a message via Yahoo to rrfranczak3
Cool 12-11-2009, 03:14 PM

unless you are real good in editing the registry, it would be better to reinstall them..

Dell Mini 10 (Obsidian Black 1010), 2gb RAM, 1.66ghz 533mhz FSB (Z530) processor, A10 BIOS, 1 Terabyte (1000 GB) WD Scorpio Blue Hard Drive (5400rpm), Intel GMA 500 Integrated Graphics, TV Tuner, Bluetooth 2.1 module with EDR, 1.3mp Camera, 1366x768 HD Screen, Wireless 1510 b/g/n mini card, 6 cell (56WHr) Battery, 4gb SDHC, 64gb Flashdrive, Targus Netbook Chillpad, Targus Sport Case, Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (500gb)/Windows 8.1 (500gb) (Dual Boot)

iPad 4 (64gb) w/Retina,Targus Versavu Case
  (#5) Old

Thumbs up New Owner, Old Name - part two - 12-11-2009, 06:05 PM

I'll just pass on to the new owners the Dell form and procedure so they can get the best repair service available to them.
They'll just have to live with being greeted by another person's name.
My gifting or selling these little beauties does not imply a lifetime service contract.

BTW, if anyone here hasn't experienced it, that expectation can poison a relationship! Often better to deal with strangers - and include a disclaimer!!

ATB

BC
  (#6) Old
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to rrfranczak3 Send a message via MSN to rrfranczak3 Send a message via Yahoo to rrfranczak3
Cool 12-11-2009, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragtop View Post
I'll just pass on to the new owners the Dell form and procedure so they can get the best repair service available to them.
They'll just have to live with being greeted by another person's name.
My gifting or selling these little beauties does not imply a lifetime service contract.

BTW, if anyone here hasn't experienced it, that expectation can poison a relationship! Often better to deal with strangers - and include a disclaimer!!

ATB

BC
If its just the greeting you want to change, you can change that in control panel then user accounts, create what you want, delete what you want..etc...

Dell Mini 10 (Obsidian Black 1010), 2gb RAM, 1.66ghz 533mhz FSB (Z530) processor, A10 BIOS, 1 Terabyte (1000 GB) WD Scorpio Blue Hard Drive (5400rpm), Intel GMA 500 Integrated Graphics, TV Tuner, Bluetooth 2.1 module with EDR, 1.3mp Camera, 1366x768 HD Screen, Wireless 1510 b/g/n mini card, 6 cell (56WHr) Battery, 4gb SDHC, 64gb Flashdrive, Targus Netbook Chillpad, Targus Sport Case, Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (500gb)/Windows 8.1 (500gb) (Dual Boot)

iPad 4 (64gb) w/Retina,Targus Versavu Case
  (#7) Old

Default 12-13-2009, 01:56 AM

A+ Certified,
Tech wannabee!

« Reinstalling XP into ssd - curious about 8mg unpartitioned space that keeps appearing | Mini 9 ?? bout Clearwire »