Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default new SSID....what now?!? - 12-08-2009, 12:10 AM

Hey Guys,

Just purchased a dell mini 9 hackintosh with 10.5.6 loaded on

It seems as if this 8GB SSID just isnt going to cut it. Ill be purchasing a 16 or 32gb SSID here within the next week or so. Just wondering once I swap out the SSID's what will be needed to restore it back to a fully operational hackintosh? Links and instructions are much appreciated...

I did some searching but could not find anything regarding starting from scratch with no present OS on the new SSID

feel free to PM or email to

Thanks and I really appreciate the help, this is my GF's XMAS present so im hoping to have it all squared away here soon.

-Justin
  (#2) Old
Administrator

Default 12-08-2009, 12:22 AM

First, that's an SSD, not SSID. In this forum we do not look kindly on people who sell Minis with OS X preloaded - in fact, advertising such here is good for an immediate ban. As you may gather, those who buy such things are frowned upon as well.

We have a rather large OS X section with guides for installation from scratch. However, it sounds as if you simply want to clone the SSDs, which you can do using the OS X backup software.

I hope that you have (or will) purchased a retail copy of the OS X DVD and are not relying on an illegal copy.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#3) Old

Default 12-08-2009, 12:40 AM

holmes, thank you for the prompt reply.

I apologize for the typo regarding the SSD

the mini 9 was purchased from a co-worker who purchased the original OS disks from apple. After loading it onto the mini 9 he decided the mini 9 was just not for him. He kindly sold it it to me. Once again I apologize if this is frowned upon as well....i am still working on broadening my very limited tech skills.

If I were to swap the SSD's it would be as simple as cloning my current OSX onto a backup drive and then reloading onto the new SSD? Would I need to change anything in the bios before reloading?

Thanks again for all the help

I will be going to the apple store later this week to purchase a new copy of 10.6 as well

I to do not condone pirated software
  (#4) Old
Administrator

Default 12-08-2009, 01:27 AM

No BIOS changes would be needed. A simple backup and restore should suffice.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#5) Old

Default 12-08-2009, 01:30 AM

Thank you!
  (#6) Old
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to rrfranczak3 Send a message via MSN to rrfranczak3 Send a message via Yahoo to rrfranczak3
Cool 12-08-2009, 04:13 PM

Don't forget to wipe out your original drive b 4 u sell it, unless of course you wanna keep it as a backup..

PS: Welcome to the forum

Oh by the way on a side note "SSID" is used on routers as a "Service Set IDentifier", usually just the name of your network such as My Router or My Office..etc. thats probably where you have seen it b 4

Dell Mini 10 (Obsidian Black 1010), 2gb RAM, 1.66ghz 533mhz FSB (Z530) processor, A10 BIOS, 1 Terabyte (1000 GB) WD Scorpio Blue Hard Drive (5400rpm), Intel GMA 500 Integrated Graphics, TV Tuner, Bluetooth 2.1 module with EDR, 1.3mp Camera, 1366x768 HD Screen, Wireless 1510 b/g/n mini card, 6 cell (56WHr) Battery, 4gb SDHC, 64gb Flashdrive, Targus Netbook Chillpad, Targus Sport Case, Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (500gb)/Windows 8.1 (500gb) (Dual Boot)

iPad 4 (64gb) w/Retina,Targus Versavu Case
  (#7) Old

Default 12-09-2009, 01:30 AM

thanks for the advice

i work in tech support for a GPS company and all our devices have SSID'S Serial silicone something something so i think thats why i mixed up the two....i have definitely seen it on my router though as well

« dell mini 9 | how to reinstall xp from USB drive »