Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default probably a stupid question - 12-01-2009, 10:45 PM

hey i recently ordered a dell mini 10v and a copy of snow leopard and had a few questions. first is the guide on installing snow leopard on gizmodo good? are there any problems with their method? second is the 2gb ram upgrade worth the trouble(mostly going to use for school and web browsing)? if so what recommendations do you have for ram? also do i need anything other than an 8gb flash drive and access to a mac and pc to successfully install snow leopard? thanks
  (#2) Old

Default 12-01-2009, 11:54 PM

I have the 10v and used the Gizmodo upgrade for 10v/Snow Leopard (not the Mini 9 link). Mine went fine. Check your BIOS (mine was A05 so I didn't flash; if it A06, you need to flash). NBI 0.8.3rc4 is the new bootstrap that covers the SN 10.6.2. When you first load SN to install, it tells you the disk isn't formatted properly...follow the Gizmodo instruction within the install itself. You will use the drop down menus until the disk is formated; then you will just follow the normal steps like any other install.

Once you are up and running, test your audio and mouse...they should work. When you upgrade Snow Leopard to 10.6.2, your audio and mouse may not work. The solution is to run NBI 0.8.3.rc4 again. You just load the app, click the boxes you want, run the app, and then reboot. Now your audio and mouse work like they should again. The whole process should be 2-3 hours, including upgrades.

I don't know about the 2gb RAM...I have read that performance isn't that different between the two from some and others seem to say it is useful. It seems that the RAM may not be as much of a bottleneck as the HHD: many seem to report better performance from an SSD. I would like to hear your thoughts if you do the upgrade!

One item that I would like to have is the Bluetooth adapter: I think using the Magic Mouse would be very nice to create a true "Mac" feel.

Cheers and I hope you have as easy time with your project as I have!

Dell Mini 10v 160GB HD 1GB RAM A05 NBI 0.8.3 Final OSX 10.6.2 w/Magic Mouse
  (#3) Old
Administrator

Default 12-02-2009, 12:04 AM

Do not use the Gizmodo guide - use one from this forum in the OS X sections.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#4) Old

Default 12-02-2009, 02:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmes4 View Post
Do not use the Gizmodo guide - use one from this forum in the OS X sections.
Hey, I'm completely new to this issue...what is the technical problem with the Gizmodo process? I followed it and it worked like a charm the first time through....do I have a time bomb waiting to go off?

Dell Mini 10v 160GB HD 1GB RAM A05 NBI 0.8.3 Final OSX 10.6.2 w/Magic Mouse
  (#5) Old
Administrator

Default 12-02-2009, 01:14 PM

It's old. In any event, it was derived from this forum so you may as well go to the source.

Steve
  (#6) Old

Default 12-02-2009, 05:16 PM

thanks i will check it out
  (#7) Old

Default 12-12-2009, 05:50 PM

Sucsussfully installed osx yesterday. Guide on gizmodo was helpfull but this forum was much more usefull. Haven't upgraded the ram or the os to 10.6.2. Any thoughts on the .2 upgrade?
  (#8) Old
Administrator

Default 12-12-2009, 09:49 PM

Lots of discussion of 10.6.2 in the OS X sections, including specific instructions on what to do since, by default, 10.6.2 won't boot on the Mini.

Steve
  (#9) Old

Default 12-15-2009, 06:42 PM

You can check out mine.... it's in my signature

Cheers!

------------------------------------------------------------

Check out my guide for installing SL 10.6.2 on your brand new Dell Mini 10v!

« Dell Mini 10v + External USB Harddrive + SL = Installation Help | Couple of questions. Help appreciated. »