MyDellMini Forum

MyDellMini Forum (http://www.mydellmini.com/forum/)
-   Beginners Questions (http://www.mydellmini.com/forum/beginners-questions/)
-   -   OSX newbie - what to get (http://www.mydellmini.com/forum/beginners-questions/15813-osx-newbie-what-get.html)

fenger 12-01-2009 05:25 PM

OSX newbie - what to get

I have never use OSX. I understand that I have to get a retail copy of Mac OS X and not an upgrade version. I check apple site and they only have Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard for $39, link here. The description says it is an upgrade for Leopard user. I cannot find any other non-upgrade version. Is this the correct software to get for my dell mini 10v?
If so, can I instead get the Mac Box Set instead?

87vert 12-01-2009 05:40 PM

yes that is the correct one.

Apple Software Mac OS X v10.6 Snow Leopard - Single User MC223Z/A

A bit cheaper there. Or you might be able to find it locally and not have to pay shipping.

TheAAPLFreak 12-01-2009 06:40 PM

Wait, since when was SL $40? I got it for $30.

And yes, they say that it's an upgrade, but you can do a fresh install from that disk.

InfernoSTi 12-02-2009 12:00 AM

I used the Snow Leopard "upgrade" disk and it is really the whole OS. I bought mine last week at Best Buy for $29 US plus tax.

fenger 12-02-2009 10:39 PM

Thanks everybody for the answer. I have another question. I want to install OSX in more than one computer. Do I have to buy the family pack or just one single above disk will do? Is there a activation code thingy like in Windows? What if I want the iLife & iWork software too? Get the Mac Box Set family pack?

holmes4 12-02-2009 11:42 PM

Apple doesn't use "activation" - they trust that you will follow the rules. (Which of course anyone buying OS X for a Hackintosh isn't... :D ) If you want iLife and iWork, yes, buy the box set.

fenger 12-03-2009 01:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by holmes4 (Post 123482)
Apple doesn't use "activation" - they trust that you will follow the rules. (Which of course anyone buying OS X for a Hackintosh isn't... :D ) If you want iLife and iWork, yes, buy the box set.

So do iLife and iWork use "activation" or they trust us to follow the rules? For other OSX applications in general, do they use activation? or some other methods?

ejohnson 12-03-2009 02:52 AM

Thanks for this, I just ordered my copy of OSX and downloaded the installer. I am sick of installing windows every 2 weeks cause it gets so corrupt from all the junk sites my wife visits.

fenger 12-03-2009 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fenger (Post 123526)
So do iLife and iWork use "activation" or they trust us to follow the rules? For other OSX applications in general, do they use activation? or some other methods?

Anyone? please!

holmes4 12-03-2009 02:52 PM

ejohnson, if your Windows system gets corrupted because of sites your wife visits, I don't know that OS X is necessarily going to improve matters...

fenger, I haven't installed my copy of iLife or iWork yet, but I am not aware that Apple uses activation. You aren't going to try to cheat them out of license revenue, though, are you?