Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default Newbie - Mini 9 or 12 ? This is drivin me nuts!!! - 12-14-2008, 10:54 PM

i really want the screen real-estate and larger keyboard of the 12 (this will be my only pc which i am purchasing primarily because it has no fan and i hate pc fan noise and also because it's light)

BUT

i just don't see how Vista will perform in 1 Gig of Ram (some say pretty good - most say it's really slow)

the 9 is great because I can add ram and it comes with XP

i know i can install XP on the 12 which i guess is what i'll end up doing but i actually prefer vista

i have read so much on these 2 models i could write a book but STILL can't decide which to get

i would appreciate any opinions .....especially from anyone running vista with 1 gig
  (#2) Old

Default Re: Newbie - Mini 9 or 12 ? This is drivin me nuts!!! - 12-15-2008, 12:13 AM

I work for a school district and our consensus on the mini 12 was that for the price we could get full blown laptops (hardware wise). There are a lot of choices for laptops in the 13"-15" size that would be much more powerful if you looking to stay smaller. I really dig the mini 9 but there is no way I could rely on it as my only computer for home or work use.
  (#3) Old
Guru

Send a message via AIM to UnaClocker Send a message via Yahoo to UnaClocker
Default Re: Newbie - Mini 9 or 12 ? This is drivin me nuts!!! - 12-15-2008, 03:35 AM

I agree about the laptop thing. If you want to spend $500-$600 on a Mini12, you'd be a lot better off with a real Laptop. When Dell had it's black friday sale, it had actual laptops for $350 and $450. With real CPU's and everything. The Mini12 is a lame duck, between it's high price, and the fact that the Mini9 is a more powerful and modern machine in several ways.
I recommend the Mini9 because I absolutely love mine. But if you don't get a 9, don't get a 12 either.

Tired of wondering if your Mini9 is doing ANYTHING? - Add a HDD Activity LED
  (#4) Old

Default Re: Newbie - Mini 9 or 12 ? This is drivin me nuts!!! - 12-15-2008, 06:59 AM

I'd have to agree that the Mini 12 is a strange beast. It's too big to be really "mini", and while that has advantages such as a bigger keyboard, it rather defeats the object of having a smaller machine. Unless you are desperate for very low weight with a 12" screen for less than $1,000, I really don't see the point. Real notebooks of similar size are more capable and not much heavier (and a similar price), and many of the smaller netbooks (including the Mini 9) are more expandable.

Black Mini 9 2GB/64GB - XP
White Mini 9 2GB/4GB - UNR 9.10
  (#5) Old
Guru

Default Re: Newbie - Mini 9 or 12 ? This is drivin me nuts!!! - 12-15-2008, 08:07 AM

Here's a nice review showing a bit of a usability problem:
[youtube:30jyad9m]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsZJcz6b7Z0[/youtube:30jyad9m]

(#6) Old

Default Re: Newbie - Mini 9 or 12 ? This is drivin me nuts!!! - 12-15-2008, 04:27 PM

for me this would be a primary computer (along with perhaps a larger monitor)

my interest in the 12 (or the 9) is that they are fanless and quiet, i often use my computer (currently an acer which is going back in a few days) in bed in the evening and it's really quiet and i _hate_ the fan noise

there seems to be broad general agreement that 12 is a ******* child with a severe birth defect (i.e. poor weight distribution and inadequate hardware for the standard os)

ok, maybe i will go for a 9 which i can also connect to a larger screen (this is all for around my house ...no traveling) and that will give me the best of both worlds

one final question then, how do the 9 and 12 keyboards compare ? is the 9 _close_ to the functionality of the 12 ??

thanks for replies
  (#7) Old

Default Re: Newbie - Mini 9 or 12 ? This is drivin me nuts!!! - 12-15-2008, 06:00 PM

I can't compare the keyboards but you could setup a desk for your mini for "serious" use that could include an external monitor, full size keyboard and mouse, external hard drive/flash etc. Consider what you will use it for also. I have done some custom builds and consulting where people "just" want to surf the web, email, and do documents. In nearly every case as the person uses it more...they demand it do more. I guess I'm just saying be careful about basing your decision on the lack of fan noise alone. There are quiet laptops on the market and there are things you can do maintenance wise to keep a laptop with fans quiet.

I don't mean to steer you away from the mini...its a great tool and people are doing much more with them than Dell ever intended but be mindful of its specs and what you want to be able to do with it.
  (#8) Old

Default Re: Newbie - Mini 9 or 12 ? This is drivin me nuts!!! - 12-15-2008, 08:20 PM

Quote:
There are quiet laptops on the market
so i hear ....

but i have tried 3 ( 2 acers and a macbook) and can't seem to find one that _i_ consider quiet

if i get the dell i _know_ it will be quiet

anyway, thanks, your point is well taken, i am kind of thinking that a mini 9, 19" monitor, bluetooth keyboard and mouse and external usb drive might be a perfect setup though
  (#9) Old
Guru

Default Re: Newbie - Mini 9 or 12 ? This is drivin me nuts!!! - 12-16-2008, 05:59 AM

Yeah, I love the fanless feature of the Mini9.. I can finally watch TV in bed while my wife and very young baby are sleeping right next to me. Wearing headphones, there is no sound coming from the thing.

(#10) Old

Default Re: Newbie - Mini 9 or 12 ? This is drivin me nuts!!! - 12-16-2008, 08:23 AM

Get the Mini 9 and don't look back. The Mini 12 sucks from what I have heard, not to mention it is limited to 1GB of RAM and uses a slightly shittier CPU. If you need something that large, get a notebook. If you want a netbook though, you can't go wrong with the Mini 9.

Inspiron Mini 9 - 2GB RAM - 8GB Stock SSD - Bluetooth - Ubuntu 8.10
Lenovo T500 - 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo - 4GB RAM - Mobility Radeon HD 3650 - Windows Vista Business

« Hey, New guy here.. problems already | New Mini Owner »