Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#11) Old

Default Re: Newbie - Mini 9 or 12 ? This is drivin me nuts!!! - 12-16-2008, 10:20 PM

LOL, love that review...

If you're going with the Mini 9, be aware that the keyboard is a SERIOUS compromise. I love how small the unit is, but the keyboard is REALLY small and a number of the keys aren't where they usually are. If you are going to do lots of typing on this thing, figure out whether you can live with this (go to your local Micro Center/Best Buy or whatever and play with ANY 9" netbook--just try typing stuff into notepad). You'll quickly figure out if you can live with it or not.

I think that for a lot of people a 10" netbook with a more full sized keyboard would be a better choice, but Dell doesn't offer one of those...

Dell Mini 9:Black:GelaSkin by Daim:32GB RunCore SSD:2GB RAM:Bluetoothell 1505 b/g/n
  (#12) Old

Default Re: Newbie - Mini 9 or 12 ? This is drivin me nuts!!! - 12-17-2008, 01:24 AM

if this is going to be your primary computer, I would look at a dell xps 13 or 15. Or small sony vaio, both are really not that noisy. No real noticeable fan noise. Maybe slight hum if anything at all...

Although, you can't go wrong with a mini 9; it is just not made for your main workhorse computer. Unless you just surf the web email and light word processing. The mini 12 just doesn't make sense, you can get the same thing and often a more powerful full real laptop for the same price and size,

But then again, I have a lot of computers and notebooks. So everyone has their own uses and opinions.
  (#13) Old

Default Re: Newbie - Mini 9 or 12 ? This is drivin me nuts!!! - 12-17-2008, 01:36 AM

Quote:
If you're going with the Mini 9, be aware that the keyboard is a SERIOUS compromise. I love how small the unit is, but the keyboard is REALLY small

I think that for a lot of people a 10" netbook with a more full sized keyboard would be a better choice, but Dell doesn't offer one of those...
fanfoot, your 2 statements above are _precisely_ why i am in such a dilemma .... i don't want a too small keyboard and let's face it ...if you add a couple of inches dell _does_ offer a 10" except it's a 12 inch and still weighs about the same as the mini 9

it's a tough call, now that the 12 is being rolled out with win xp standard i think i will go with the 12 and xp

clearly dell had this in mind all along since they don't even offer vista as an option anymore

i have heard that they need to get microsoft's permission to offer a netbook with a screen larger than 10 inches so maybe that's why they have held off on the 12-xp configuration
  (#14) Old

Default Re: Newbie - Mini 9 or 12 ? This is drivin me nuts!!! - 12-17-2008, 10:32 PM

Well, the 12 is still very thin and light. And its cheaper than before. The 1GB RAM issue is stupid, but there's no way around it. The hard drive is very slow, but it looks like there are in fact upgrade options available, like this:

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/p...4&sku=341-5732

Course its $239 for a 120GB drive, but hey, lots of us are paying that for 32GB/64GB SSDs that are probably slower. And of course maybe you'll be fine with the performance out of the box.

The 1280x800 screen would certainly be a nice step up. Still seems like they built this thing with the wrong chipset though. And the initial pricing certainly didn't help. Look at the number of posts in the Mini 12 forum. Based on those I can't imagine this thing was selling that well so far...

Dell Mini 9:Black:GelaSkin by Daim:32GB RunCore SSD:2GB RAM:Bluetoothell 1505 b/g/n
  (#15) Old

Default Re: Newbie - Mini 9 or 12 ? This is drivin me nuts!!! - 12-17-2008, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Course its $239 for a 120GB drive
why buy this from dell when there are lots of 5400 notebook drives out there for less ?

am i missing something ?

and i agree the 1gb of ram thing is beyond stupid which means there's something behind it ... some reason why they crippled it and allowed the 9 to be upgraded to 2 gigs ...

dell acn't be _that_ stupid, can they ?
  (#16) Old

Default Re: Newbie - Mini 9 or 12 ? This is drivin me nuts!!! - 12-18-2008, 12:14 AM

The drive in the Mini 12 is a 1.8" PATA ZIF drive. Like the ones in iPods. Its more common for them to be slower--3,600rpm or 4,200rpm are common, whereas normal laptop drives are 5,400rpm or even 7,200rpm. Which means faster. They're also obviously much smaller, e.g. they fit inside an iPod rather than being bigger than one. And they're PATA (Parallel ATA, the same as IDE) rather than SATA, which is what most modern desktops/laptops use these days.

So there are fast SATA 1.8 inch drives from Toshiba, but you can't use those.
And there are fast 2.5 inch drives from everybody, but you can't use those.

Etc. They do this to make the thing thinner. Which is why these drives are used in a lot of ultralights.

The 1GB limitation comes from the chipset they used, the Z-series Atom's rather than the N-series used in the Dell Mini 9. It uses the Poulsbo chipset that uses less power, but only supports 1GB of RAM (and PATA, not SATA). It helps to keep the power usage down, allowing the thing to be lighter/cheaper/use a smaller battery, but not that much... The Poulsbo was supposed to have better graphics performance for video playback (i.e. HD) than the N-series Atom's, though I haven't seen anybody crowing about it...

(#17) Old

Default Re: Newbie - Mini 9 or 12 ? This is drivin me nuts!!! - 12-18-2008, 11:58 AM

I ordered the mini 9, hope it comes soon, but you might want to consider an older Dell Latitude X1 (12.1 inch screen, fanless, 1.1GHz Centrino). These are sometimes available for around $300. They weigh about 2.5-2.8 pounds and have a 1280 by 768 screen. You would probably need a new battery for it.
  (#18) Old

Default Re: Newbie - Mini 9 or 12 ? This is drivin me nuts!!! - 12-18-2008, 06:00 PM

fanfoot - hey thanks ... excellent and helpful answer about the drives, makes a lot of sense

bobb, also thanks, i can't find a dell x-1 for a decent price or i'd seriously consider it
  (#19) Old

Default Re: Newbie - Mini 9 or 12 ? This is drivin me nuts!!! - 12-18-2008, 07:05 PM

I just joined today. My Mini 9 was delivered this morning. So far, so good. I would not consider this as anything more than a portable option for those who already have a computer. I have a E1505 laptop along with a Vostro desktop.

I am using this for more fun and the times when the kids have the computers hogged up.

Comparing this to an MSI Wind that I got for my father last month, Dell's keyboard is a drawback as is the smaller screen. I much prefer the Dell touchpad. I got a refurb 16gb, so it was cheaper than a Wind. I prefer the build quality of the Dell too, and WiFi seems to be more consistent as well.

Sounds like you need a bigger laptop or maybe a low cost Vostro desktop and a Mini 9. I would also think that an Insipron 13 would a good choice.
  (#20) Old

Default Re: Newbie - Mini 9 or 12 ? This is drivin me nuts!!! - 12-19-2008, 05:21 PM

Dell X1 answer

In addition to ordering the Mini 9, I just bought an X1 (60Gig drive, Dell external dvd rw drive) on ebay for $299 plus $25 shipping. I will post comparative results when both arrive. I really like the 9 except: 600pixel vertical resolution and small keyboard. For those wanting the mini12, an old X1 (plus new battery no doubt) might be an option until Dell improves the hardware. You might still have enough left to buy a basic Mini 9 (on sale) for your pocket! Yes I know a lot of the X1s show up for $500-$750 on ebay, just be patient.

By the way my Mini 9 estimated ship date has gone from Dec 11 to Jan 6 in 3 easy steps. I will believe Dell when the unit arrives!

« Hey, New guy here.. problems already | New Mini Owner »