Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default Bailing on ubuntu - advice about windows or OSX? - 12-01-2009, 02:22 AM

I bought a Dell mini 9 last summer w/Ubuntu on it, and I am giving up on linux/Ubuntu/GNU operating system.

I am looking for advice on switching to Windows or Mac OSx (via the methods posted here and elsewhere). My desktop is an Apple, so I was leaning toward Windows to have one platform of each.

I would greatly appreciate any advice about switching to either platform.
  (#2) Old

Default 12-01-2009, 03:37 AM

I sold my mac desktop a while ago so when I got the mini I put os x on it so I can use it again. I think it depends on what you are looking to do with your mini on which os to go with.

Mini 9 | 2gb RAM | 16GB SSD / 8GB SDHC | OS X 10.6.3 Snow Leopard | NBI 0.8.4RC1
Apple TV | 160GB | CrystalHD
iPhone 4
Powermac G5 Tower | 2x 2.0GHZ | 8GB Ram | 160+250 GB HDD | OS X 10.5.8 Leopard | 24" Acer
  (#3) Old

Default 12-01-2009, 03:56 AM

I'm loving my 10v with OSX. I used Windows 7 for a day and found it better than Vista, so I might say whatever you are most comfortable with. Perhaps a dual boot machine if you can't decide?!!! Enjoy...

Dell Mini 10v 160GB HD 1GB RAM A05 NBI 0.8.3 Final OSX 10.6.2 w/Magic Mouse
  (#4) Old

Default 12-02-2009, 12:30 PM

Why not use both? I dual boot with OS X and Win 7. To be honest, I rarely if ever use Windows, but Windows 7 boots quickly and seems to work ok. I have a Macbook, so I'm comfortable using Mac. Anyway, there are dual boot guides here. I installed OS X, used Disk Utility to make a new partition, then installed Windows 7 on that. Chameleon (incl. with the Mac OS X install utilities here) will give you an automatic choice when you boot up. Check it out. Good luck!
  (#5) Old

Default 12-03-2009, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamera View Post
Why not use both? I dual boot with OS X and Win 7. To be honest, I rarely if ever use Windows, but Windows 7 boots quickly and seems to work ok. I have a Macbook, so I'm comfortable using Mac. Anyway, there are dual boot guides here. I installed OS X, used Disk Utility to make a new partition, then installed Windows 7 on that. Chameleon (incl. with the Mac OS X install utilities here) will give you an automatic choice when you boot up. Check it out. Good luck!
Are you using Snow Leopard? I have tried multiple methods with Windows 7 and OSX SL, but Windows always ends up pitching a fit about the boot sector.
  (#6) Old

Default 12-03-2009, 05:21 PM

OSX isn't officially licensed, supported or recommended since you now must hack it even more since they removed Atom support.

(Of course I hear it does run snazzy! :-))

Try both out.

Dell Inspiron Mini 9 / Custom XP Pro SP3 / 2GB Mushkin RAM / 4GB Stock SSD / Mini BT USB Dongle / 16GB Class 6 SDHC
  (#7) Old
Expert Member

Default 12-03-2009, 07:11 PM

Bar far the quickest, easiest, and simplest install will be the OS that supports it best, Windows.

C:\M11xR2\320GBHD\4GBRAM\W7HP
D:\duo\320GBHD\2GBRAM\W8DP
  (#8) Old

Default 12-06-2009, 07:55 PM

Thanks to everyone who responded. Your input is helpful.

One more question. There are a several guides to put OSX on a mini, and I'm not sure which to use. I have access to the Mini 9 (of course) a PowerPC based eMac, a retail snow leopard DVD, and a PC with Vista installed. With that hardware, which method of installing OSX is the easiest?
  (#9) Old

Default 12-06-2009, 08:39 PM

« Hi--waiting for my new Mini 9 | dell mini 9 »