Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Send a message via AIM to Mafia_Insurance
Default Why hello there, - 11-26-2009, 07:08 PM

I just purchased a 10v 1011, and im awaiting its arrival. Dell takes its sweet time to deliver, but anyways,
I bought it refurbed, and im looking to learn everything i can about it, since its gonna be my road warrior, school, travel, etc.
I looked and looked and most everyone seems to agree that the 10v is an excellent computer. Well, let me tell you what i got. I think i got a good deal, even if i didnt buy it on black friday, because of the upgrades it has already. All your thoughts and comments are appreciated.

Quote:
Inspiron Mini 10v - 1011

•Inspiron Mini 10v (1011) Laptop, No internal DVD or CD Drive
•Genuine Windows XP Home
System Price : $349.00
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Operating System
Genuine Windows XP Home
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Memory
1 GB DDR2 SDRAM 1 DIMM--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hard Disk Drive
250 GB Free Fall Sensor Hard Drive (7200 RPM)--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Video
Intel Integrated Graphics Media Accelerator 950
System Color
Red
Certified Refurbished
Certified Refurbished--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hardware Upgrade
30W AC Adapter
6 Cell, 56WHr Lithium-Ion Primary Battery
No WWAN Option
Software Upgrade
Windows Live
32BIT Operating System CD
Microsoft Works 9.0
Web Camera
Integrated 1.3M Pixel Webcam
Laptop Screen
10.1inch WSVGA LED Display (1024X600)
Base
Inspiron Mini 10v (1011) Laptop, No internal DVD or CD Drive
Processor
Processor: Intel Atom Processor N280 (1.66GHz/667Mhz FSB/512K cache)
Network Interface Card
Dell 1397 802.11B/G Wireless Mini Card
I highlighted what i think were the selling points that made it a good purchase, but let me warn you, i am a noob when it comes to computers.

---------- Post added at 07:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:53 PM ----------
  (#2) Old
Guru

Default 11-26-2009, 07:26 PM

Welcome.

Mini 9 | Intel 5100 Wifi | Ubuntu 10.04 Netbook
Mini 1012 | SSD | Intel 6200 Wifi | Ubuntu 11.10 64bit
  (#3) Old
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to rrfranczak3 Send a message via MSN to rrfranczak3 Send a message via Yahoo to rrfranczak3
Cool 11-26-2009, 07:56 PM

Good Luck with it. I have the Mini 10......my specs are below.....I paid $425 New..

I am sure you'll love it

PS. Welcome

Dell Mini 10 (Obsidian Black 1010), 2gb RAM, 1.66ghz 533mhz FSB (Z530) processor, A10 BIOS, 1 Terabyte (1000 GB) WD Scorpio Blue Hard Drive (5400rpm), Intel GMA 500 Integrated Graphics, TV Tuner, Bluetooth 2.1 module with EDR, 1.3mp Camera, 1366x768 HD Screen, Wireless 1510 b/g/n mini card, 6 cell (56WHr) Battery, 4gb SDHC, 64gb Flashdrive, Targus Netbook Chillpad, Targus Sport Case, Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (500gb)/Windows 8.1 (500gb) (Dual Boot)

iPad 4 (64gb) w/Retina,Targus Versavu Case
  (#4) Old

Send a message via AIM to Mafia_Insurance
Default 11-26-2009, 09:45 PM

I was perusing several sections and although i see a lot of info, i dont see a "reccomended guideline" of the things that are mostly suggested. So, before i make another thread, What are the most recent and best modifications to make to a Dell 10v? From what i gather, windows 7 fresh install and some other options, but anything else?
  (#5) Old
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to rrfranczak3 Send a message via MSN to rrfranczak3 Send a message via Yahoo to rrfranczak3
Cool 11-26-2009, 10:43 PM

well, a lot of people upgrade the RAM from 1gb to 2gb, this is possible to do yourself, I am not sure of how comfortable you are with taking apart computers but if you have some experience there are guides out here that will help you or you can have it done.....some put in SSD (solid state drives) instead of a moving parts HD, I personally would rather have the extra space so I installed a 500gb hard dirve and am currently looking into maybe swapping that out with a 640gb...I guess it depends on your personal needs...

I see that you already have a 250gb 7200rpm drive, some feel they are too noisy...some prefer the 5400rpm which are quieter....its kinda like that with everything some people prefer this others prefer that....Good Luck...feel free to ask anything you want....Happy Holidays

PS: the reason you dont see a specific guide is because there isnt one, its kinda like owning a Harley, 2 people can buy the exact same bike and if you check them out like 6 months later they are totally different....its all up to the individuals taste and needs

Dell Mini 10 (Obsidian Black 1010), 2gb RAM, 1.66ghz 533mhz FSB (Z530) processor, A10 BIOS, 1 Terabyte (1000 GB) WD Scorpio Blue Hard Drive (5400rpm), Intel GMA 500 Integrated Graphics, TV Tuner, Bluetooth 2.1 module with EDR, 1.3mp Camera, 1366x768 HD Screen, Wireless 1510 b/g/n mini card, 6 cell (56WHr) Battery, 4gb SDHC, 64gb Flashdrive, Targus Netbook Chillpad, Targus Sport Case, Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (500gb)/Windows 8.1 (500gb) (Dual Boot)

iPad 4 (64gb) w/Retina,Targus Versavu Case
  (#6) Old

Default 11-26-2009, 11:07 PM

Just wanted to say hi since I'm a newbie. And a big thanks to everyone who has already done a great job with tweaks & patches. I'm running 10.5.7 on my DM9. Had sound issues so came here for a solution. Just dl ALC268_3.kext and will try that.

« How is Runcore as a company? | Looking for a guide to install osx without a mac »