Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default Reinstalling XP into ssd - curious about 8mg unpartitioned space that keeps appearing - 11-25-2009, 11:57 PM

Dell Vostro A90 mini - XP 8gb ssd, 1gig ram - installed 2 gig (crucial) ram

I don't have much computer experience, so I will try to explain as best as I could:

I have recently done a couple of complete OS reinstalls from my OS cd into the hard drive. In the past, I was able to erase the partition that the os was in and just format it through "quick ntfs" and everything went well.

I just placed a new 2gig ram crucial piece and everything was fine up until I visited a windows update site (by googling it and though mistakenly chose the webpage link at the very top of the list-which I get suspicious about because they may be advertising links and not the first item in the search list results-sometimes they are in pink boxes). Once I mistakenly chose the top of the list from my google "windows update" search... my computer downloaded something real quickly without asking me permission.. then a series of downloads went by so fast that I could not read the box prompts. I didn't yet have an anti virus installed because I had just finished installing the os at that point. I decided to do a systerm restore and it was unsuccesful!!! It was the first time it was unsuccessful!!! So I was very troubled that it may have been a virus.

I decided to reinstall the os again... this time leaving in the 2 gig ram I had just installed. Then for the first time when reinstalling the os with the new 2gig ram in it, I got the messages:

-------(first message after first attempt at os reinstallation)---------

STOP: 0X000000D1 (0X0FC92123, 0X00000002, 0X00000001, 0XF74FBC5B)
usbhub.sys - Address F74FBC5B base at F74F7000, DateStamp 480254d0
Beginning dump of physical memory
Physical memory dump complete.
Contact your system administrator or technical support group for further assistance.

i decided to put the 1gig ram back and reinstall again, but I got this:
-------(first message after second attempt at os reinstallation)-------

STOP: 0X0000007E (0XC0000005, 0X860CD473, 0XF7A14A5C, 0XF7A14758)
usbhub.sys - Address F74FBC5B base at F74F7000, DateStamp 480254d0
Beginning dump of physical memory
Physical memory dump complete.
Contact your system administrator or technical support group for further assistance.

i tried it one more time and it reinstalled ok with the 1gig ram. This time though an "Unpartitioned space" of 8 mg appeared in the list of partitioned spaces:

Partition 1 (Fat) 47mb
Partition 2 (NTFS) 7272mb
"Unpartitioned Space" 8mb

now i've been getting that 8mb of unpartitioned space everytime i reinstall (ever since this whole thing happened). I want to get rid of it because I never used to get that when reinstalling the os. Is this a virus? the description of it is "reserved for windows xp partitioning information".

is this a virus?
if not, then why did i start getting that partition now when it never used to come up before that whole windows update story and ram install?

Thanks in advance
mg
  (#2) Old
Administrator

Default 11-26-2009, 01:29 AM

I see this a lot on Windows installs. I don't know why there is a small unpartitioned space at the end, but it seems harmless. It may have to do with the geometry of the disk tracks.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#3) Old

Send a message via AIM to jdcnosse Send a message via MSN to jdcnosse Send a message via Yahoo to jdcnosse
Default 11-26-2009, 02:50 AM

I think it has something to do with storing the information on what file system you use. This is why they recommend NTFS for larger drives, and USB flash drives are usually FAT/FAT32 (if you get one of those huge ones)

I know NTFS requires more space to store the file system information (and partition information) because I think it's more complicated...

I know my Windows 7 install takes up 100MBs at the beginning of the partition.

Custom-built | AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600 | 2GB RAM | 1.4TB total HDD space | ATI Radeon HD 4650 | Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
  (#4) Old

Default Re: Post on partition - 11-26-2009, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmes4 View Post
I see this a lot on Windows installs. I don't know why there is a small unpartitioned space at the end, but it seems harmless. It may have to do with the geometry of the disk tracks.
Thanks for posting. I was concerned since this partition didn't appear in the first few reinstalls I've done. Ever since it started appearing b/c of that wierd update that I didn't approve/and 2gig ram install, I've had trouble formatting NTFS (not quick one). It says the drive has errors. I've never had that message until that wierd update/and 2gig ram install, so I was suspecting that a virus may have infiltrated. I also never had a system restore fail before... and it did after that wierd update/and 2gig ram install.

I'm thinking of just replacing the ssd altogether instead of trying to fix it. Would you have any suggestions to in either fixing it or replacing it?

Thanks in advance,
mg

---------- Post added at 10:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:06 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcnosse View Post
I think it has something to do with storing the information on what file system you use. This is why they recommend NTFS for larger drives, and USB flash drives are usually FAT/FAT32 (if you get one of those huge ones)

I know NTFS requires more space to store the file system information (and partition information) because I think it's more complicated...

I know my Windows 7 install takes up 100MBs at the beginning of the partition.

Thanks for replying. Should I disregard it even though the computer started acting wierd when all of that happened (my wierd occurence explained in the original post)? I was either going to try to fix it or replace it altogether. Would you have any suggestions on either way?

Thank you,
mg
  (#5) Old
Administrator

Default 11-26-2009, 02:07 PM

The errors you're getting seem to relate to a USB driver, unconnected with the SSD or RAM.

I don't know what "Windows Update site" you used - in XP, the way you get to Windows Update is from Start > Help. I would be VERY suspicious of anything you found from a web search unless you were certain it was a Microsoft site.

At this point, I would suggest reinstalling Windows from scratch. It will automatically run Windows Update or you can do it manually as I suggested above. You can't trust what's on your disk. Choose a "Custom" install and delete all existing partitions, then install into the unpartitioned space.

Steve
  (#6) Old

Default Tried reinstalling os from scratch, erased partition too... - 11-27-2009, 03:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmes4 View Post
The errors you're getting seem to relate to a USB driver, unconnected with the SSD or RAM.

I don't know what "Windows Update site" you used - in XP, the way you get to Windows Update is from Start > Help. I would be VERY suspicious of anything you found from a web search unless you were certain it was a Microsoft site.

At this point, I would suggest reinstalling Windows from scratch. It will automatically run Windows Update or you can do it manually as I suggested above. You can't trust what's on your disk. Choose a "Custom" install and delete all existing partitions, then install into the unpartitioned space.

Thanks Steve,

I tried reinstalling os again... I deleted all partitions except partition1 (small partition-I read online that contained important info). I chose to format the unpartitioned space and it said it could not format because it contained errors. After that, I went back to the partition list page and it showed the unpartitioned space, partition1, and that pain in the neck partition that keeps appearing by itself. So I started with partition1-and unpartitioned space.... then ended up with: partition1, unpartitioned space and that new partition that appears on its own.

The first 3 times I've ever reinstalled the os this way, I've never gotten that "cannot partition because it contains error"... and have never gotten that wierd small partition (not partition1) appear on its own. That's why I'm thinking of just asking Dell to see if they can send me a new ssd if the warranty covers replacement of that ssd. I don't know much about computers, but I'm suspicious that I've never run into this problem the first 3 times I've reinstalled the os.

I think if Dell doesn't send me a new ssd, I will buy a runcore one and reinstall xp (without cloning-since I don't know how and I wouldn't want to work with that original ssd). Is this appropriate or is there a way to have a computer store format the whole ssd for me?

Also, I was thinking of buying a book or taking a class to know more about how these specifics work... do you have any recommendations?

Thanks again,
mg
  (#7) Old
Administrator

Default 11-27-2009, 01:47 PM

A computer store won't be able to format the SSD without either their own netbook that takes this particular card style, or a USB adapter for this style of SSD which is unlikely.

I agree that something seems wrong with the SSDs but I'm puzzled at how common this problem is and have a hard time understanding why people seem to get multiple bad SSDs.

Sure, you could buy a Runcore and install XP on it.

Steve
  (#8) Old

Send a message via AIM to Ginsu543
Default 12-01-2009, 08:24 AM

I don't believe this is a virus since the same thing happens to me whenever I reinstall Windows. The way I get around it is to use partitioning software (in my case Partition Magic) to format the 8mb partition into NTFS and then merge it with the main NTFS partition with Windows on it (just make sure that you format the 8mb partition to have the same cluster size as the main one). I just recently did that for the Windows XP machine I am running virtually inside Ubuntu 9.10 using VirtualBox.

#1: Obsidian Black Mini 9 | 2 GB Kingston HyperX CL3 | 32 GB Runcore IV | 32 GB Transcend | 1.3 MP Webcam | BT | Sound & Mic Fix | OS X 10.6.7 | NBI 351 | A07
#2: Alpine White Mini 9 | 2 GB Kingston HyperX CL3 | 32 GB Runcore IV | 32 GB Transcend | 0.3 MP Webcam | BT | Sound & Mic Fix | OS X 10.6.7 | NBI 351 | A07
Server: Obsidian Black Vostro A90 | 2 GB Kingston HyperX CL3 | 64 GB Runcore | 1.5 TB WD Elements | 0.3 MP Webcam | BT | Sound & Mic Fix | OS X 10.6.7 | NBI 351 | A06
  (#9) Old

Default Thanks for the posts! - 12-12-2009, 05:21 PM

Thanks for the posts everyone! I may try the partition magic but may wait until I take some computer classes because I'm pretty much tech-iliterate. Also, I was able to format the main partitioned space (that I created for the os) after the dell tech suggested 'reseating' the ssd. New thing I learned!

Thanks again everyone!

---------- Post added at 09:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:15 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginsu543 View Post
I don't believe this is a virus since the same thing happens to me whenever I reinstall Windows. The way I get around it is to use partitioning software (in my case Partition Magic) to format the 8mb partition into NTFS and then merge it with the main NTFS partition with Windows on it (just make sure that you format the 8mb partition to have the same cluster size as the main one). I just recently did that for the Windows XP machine I am running virtually inside Ubuntu 9.10 using VirtualBox.
Thanks for the post! I'm going to wait a few months until I take some computer classes at the local Junior College.

« Noobalicious-Dell Mini10v Help, kudasai! | New owner, old name »