Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default Tired !!! - 11-22-2009, 05:40 PM

Hi everyone,

Iam a begginer user that since 3 years or trying get a Linux distribution that can work fine in my Acer aspire 3005. In the beggining I had Ubuntu 7.04 or 8.04...Icant remember anymore, that was working fine except that with my modem I couldnt connect in internet. Finally, I got this Mandriva One that in terms of internet goes just fine but...resolution is very poor. Before I give up, is there someone who can explaine me if there is a simple solution to my problem? Please note I am totally begginer in terms of programming etc. Or I `ll just have to settle down to the monopoly of Microsoft?

Thanks in advance.
  (#2) Old

Default 11-22-2009, 05:57 PM

Have you tried Redhat Hat Fedora? Just throwing it out there.

Mini 10v
  (#3) Old

Default Ubuntu - 11-22-2009, 06:30 PM

Have you tried Netbook REmix, I tried it for a while on my Mini 9, a while ago, it worked great. I went back to Windows, just used to that, force of habit. I know Ubuntu 8.04 had trouble connecting with wireless for me.
  (#4) Old

Default 11-22-2009, 08:43 PM

go ahead, just succumb to Windows. ;-) it's not like your world is going to end. in the end, your time and aggravation is worth something. whether your PC is powered by Linux or Windows or whatever, the point of all this is to get a PC that does things for you. so if you're working this hard, and it isn't working, don't lose sight of the working PC you're trying to get to

Bob

Mini 1010 | Windows 7 Home Premium clean install over factory installed XP | 1GB RAM | 160GB drive | 1024x600 screen | Bluetooth | 1.3MP webcam | 6-cell battery | TV tuner
  (#5) Old

Default 11-22-2009, 09:45 PM

Huzzah to Bob for the perspective. I too have gotten sucked into spending days trying to tease one more something to work on an OS.
  (#6) Old

Default 11-23-2009, 09:01 AM

<<<Total Linux Noob here.
LinuxMint7 seems to be a good choice to try out. It is expanded on Ubuntu, is easy to use and has seems to work on a lot of hardware. It might be what you are looking for.

Dell Mini Inspiron 910 32GB RunCore SSD, 2GB RAM, Windows 7 Ultimate
Dell Inspiron 1720 2x 1TB HDD, 4GB RAM, Windows 7 Ultimate
https://www.facebook.com/pinto.ismael
http://gplus.to/ismaelpinto

« How can I delete contents of SSD? | Wireless Connectivity. Help! »