Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#11) Old

Default Re: Drive Noise? - 12-16-2008, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnaClocker
It has an internal mic, built into the unit, and an external mic jack. Two audio input sources. In OS X to get rid of the hissing, we turn off the external mic jack (sometimes referred to as line-in - the one next to the headphone jack) but leave the internal mic turned on.
Yes, I'd forgotten about the builtin mic (I don't use it).

Black Mini 9 2GB/64GB - XP
White Mini 9 2GB/4GB - UNR 9.10
  (#12) Old

Default Re: Drive Noise? - 03-05-2009, 08:15 PM

Hi all,

I hope some thread necromancy is fine. I've been very annoyed at the loud hissing noise coming through the speakers and headphones on my new Dell Mini running OS X (can we call it a DellBook from now on? The name is short and sweet). Anyway, I did some searching and this seems to be a common problem, and the only solution posted seems to be:

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnaClocker
It has an internal mic, built into the unit, and an external mic jack. Two audio input sources. In OS X to get rid of the hissing, we turn off the external mic jack (sometimes referred to as line-in - the one next to the headphone jack) but leave the internal mic turned on.
Now, how do I do this exactly? On my Macbook Pro I can see "Line In" (as well as "Built In") under inputs in my sound pref pane, so I know it should be there, but on my DellBook I only get "Built In."

Any hints?

Thanks!

« Mini 9 Vodafone Ireland | Video Chat »