Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Post Ubuntu on Dell Vostro a90 help needed - 11-14-2009, 08:08 AM

I have the Dell Vostro a90 with 1gig ram, 16gig SSD, built in web cam, bluetooth, wifim dsl...first off, i have tried just about every distro of ubuntu that i searched countless hours that said it would work everything out of the box, i tried mint, but i have few issues, and not sure how to cure them.

--The SD card i have will not read, i got it to do it once, but that was leaving it in the card reader slot, and rebooting the computer. the SD card i have is a Hi-speed apacer 1gig sd card, could this be the issue? i read on this forum people mentioning the HC sd cards??

--The web cam works with cheese and skype, but not in flash chat. I googled and found that setting the global flash settings to allow for this one site would work, and i honestly tried that, and worked for a whole 2 seconds then the cam light went out with a image frozen there showing that is what i was to transmit?

aside from these two issues, everything esle works great, when i load the straight ubuntu 9.10, then using terminal add the command for sound, and airplane mode to turn wifi on and off, and same with blue tooth (so as i can use the mobile blue tooth headset) runs most awesome. used google that lead me on how to get all the codecs i would ever need ect....and as of just before posting this, read that installing dell's ubuntu 9.04 and then upgrading to ubuntu 9.10 throught the package manager not such a good idea :P anyway i am just curious if anyone esle ran into the two issue's above and if so how do you cure it?? i am using M$ windblows (which is another bad story due to my net provider, i swear they work with the M$ team).
  (#2) Old

Question 11-16-2009, 12:47 AM

sorry to possible hi-jack your post, but you said something about running a command for sound on the A90, where did you get this information. I have been looking high and low for a solution that works properly, but nothing yet. My hope is you've got something i have missed

--B
  (#3) Old

Default 11-16-2009, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandxman View Post
sorry to possible hi-jack your post, but you said something about running a command for sound on the A90, where did you get this information. I have been looking high and low for a solution that works properly, but nothing yet. My hope is you've got something i have missed

--B
the url is Ubuntu on the Dell Mini: User Guides for Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala tells you everything, from how to format the SSD, to how to get pulse audio, wifi, ect....it is awesome... i aslo searched on how to get all the codecs i ever needed at http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=766683 i did further google searches and found how to turn wifi/blue tooth off with airplane mode, the blueman utility, how to set firefox to look they way i particulary like it....i have not figured out the proper divx (or is it xvid) player yet, and trying to load the web cam in flash chat i think i fixed myself, i am not sure...i need to reboot to let that change take effect. if it does work, i will set my solution here, incase others are either in the same predicument i am

« Configured mini 10 for US$624 | Deal on a Mini 9 »