Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default Hey guys! A few questions - 12-11-2008, 11:45 AM

The questions that are about to follow are both general and broad questions that any current and past Dell mini 9 owner should be able to answer. Any help and Input is greatly welcome! Before I ask any questions, if you have read up to this point, I thank you.

So my questions,

1- A) I ordered my dell on the 1st of December and on the order status page it is labeled as estimated shipping date of 12/12/08 and today is 11/12//08 and it is still in production. I live in Canada and since most dell computers are custom built in Asia, correct me on this, what are the chances of me actually getting my laptop by tomarrow?

The specs of my laptop are:

Windows XP OS
1 Gig ram (I plan on upgrading it to 2 gig when I actually get it in my hand.) I purchased it online and the 1 gig was part of the deal so I had no choice but to go with it.
Blue-tooth
32-gig SSD

1- B) Are these parts going to delay my order? I assume so but has anyone with similar builds had long delays on their delivery?

2- How happy are you with your laptop? an over all sense.

3- Functionality wise, I plan on using my notebook mainly for school, Microsoft word 2007, and possibly to listen to music (via the bluetooth), song bird or Itunes as the MPlayer, and surf the internet via Firefox, how do these programs fair out?

4-Would you recommend a mini 9 to your family or close friends?

Dell mini 9 / 32GIG SSD / Bluetooth / Black / 1 Gig Ram
  (#2) Old

Default Re: Hey guys! A few questions - 12-11-2008, 06:43 PM

I too have one on order and it seems dell has been shipping these units delayed by 1-3 days in the past week or so. They wait till the last possible second then send you an e mail with a ship date 24-48 hours later than originally quoted.

I got this info from various msg boards where people ordered right after Thanksgiving and were supposed to have them ship on the 10th. Calls to customer service assured them everything was fine and they would leave on time, next think you know an email claims delays. Oh well.

Since I do not have a mini I can't really answer any of your other questions
  (#3) Old

Default Re: Hey guys! A few questions - 12-12-2008, 12:45 AM

I ordered my Mini on November 28th (Black Friday) and, at the time, expected ship date was 12/10.

Of course, being anxious to get my new "toy," I checked the status a couple of times each day. Every day it said, "in production." Next thing I knew, it said "shipped." I received it on Tuesday, 12/9. I live in the U.S. = not sure if that makes a difference. (Also, ordered it without upgrades)

I'm quite pleased with the little guy. There are a few keyboard quirks that I need to become accustomed to...the tab and shift keys are very small. Don't plan on lightening-speed typing on it...

I use it on Wi-Fi for internet, email, etc.

I brought it into the office today and the guys were quite impressed. I would recommend it to friends/family only if they didn't plan on using it for heavy duty work-type stuff.

Enjoy!
  (#4) Old

Default Re: Hey guys! A few questions - 12-12-2008, 02:27 AM

That is great news, I sure mine ships ontime - early would be fantastic!

Sadly mine has said pre-production for a week now. It is due to ship Tuesday and I doubt much progress will be made over the weekend. I hope the ubuntu does not slow it down any
  (#5) Old

Default Re: Hey guys! A few questions - 12-12-2008, 02:46 AM

I also ordered my M9 for delivery in Canada. It did come on time, but note that it was shipped from the US and I could track its progress across the US for a couple of days before it hit the border. If yours is not showing any shipping progress within the US then you are not going to get it in Canada tomorrow. Go to the Purolator site with the tracking number to watch its progress to you.
  (#6) Old

Default Re: Hey guys! A few questions - 12-12-2008, 03:53 AM

Thanks for everyone for their response. I hope it gets shipped tomarrow, I am going to be spending about 10-12 hours a day outdside of the house, mostly at school and on the road, and I dont want to haul a massive laptop around with me.

Ill share my own experience with you guys when I do get my mini and when I do upgrade it. I plan on doing the following mods/additions:

-Installing both Ubuntu and WinXp on it
-buying a few skins
-upgrading to 2 gig ram

Ill upload pics!..not that there isnt already enough pics on the net already =)

(#7) Old

Default Re: Hey guys! A few questions - 12-12-2008, 06:15 AM

I ordered one, had it delayed twice, to the point where Dell was required to get my consent to another delay, which somehow I screwed up (even though I emailed them as requested), and they canceled my order.

So I ordered it again, using a special deal to get it for less, this time a stripped down part since I knew enough to upgrade it after the fact, and this time they delayed that about a week, then sent me another note saying it was being delayed again, and it showed up the next day. Like they didn't know they'd shipped it or something.

Whatever.

I'm very happy with it. Fun little device.

Yes I would recommend it to lots of people, though for most it shouldn't be their only computer. I would love to give one to all my young relatives. They would love it. But they would want other machines to game on, or do lots of more serious things. Writing school papers, browsing the web, updating social networks, watching videos and audios should all be fine on the Mini 9 though.

Dell Mini 9:Black:GelaSkin by Daim:32GB RunCore SSD:2GB RAM:Bluetoothell 1505 b/g/n
  (#8) Old

Default Re: Hey guys! A few questions - 12-15-2008, 03:56 PM

Hey fanfoot,

Great to hear that you are having "fun" with the mini! Mine was shipped about 1 AM on the 12th (lol?) and purolator has it in their system =). I should be getting it by the 16th, I seriously cant wait, hence the post here where I discuss the entire process...lol.

(#9) Old

Default Re: Hey guys! A few questions - 12-15-2008, 11:39 PM

I skipped all the waiting, I bought mine from the refurb Dell site, with a 20% off and free shipping coupon. Ordered mine on a Sunday night about midnight and FedEx delivered on Thurs. Mine is 1gb ram ( i replaced with a 2gb chip), XP and a 8gb ssd drive, and 1.3 mp camera. Like Brand new, not a mark on it, I really like this Mini, will add a 32 gb drive soon. I've bought more than a few refurbished computers and peripherals from Dell and it has all been Good. I only paid $285.00 for mine tax included shipped to my door, there are deals to be had there, and a big plus is not having to wait long to get your toy.

My Flagship Rig: XPS I7 930 2.8ghz 12gb Ram 120gb OCZ SSD ATI Radeon 5830 W7 Ult Asus G73SW I7 2.0GHZ QuadCore 12gb Ram 120gb OCZ Ssd Nvidia GTX460 Dell Latitude E6400 Intel 2.4ghz Core2 Duo 40gb Intel Ssd 4gb Ram
  (#10) Old

Default Re: Hey guys! A few questions - 12-18-2008, 03:16 AM

It arrived today!!!

I already setup everything like my Dell Vostro and its amazing =)

Screenshot of desktop:

http://i42.tinypic.com/qpgjnp.jpg

for some reason it gets cut off so if this pic doesnt work, follow the above link.

« New Mini Owner | I did it now.. New mini & i killed IT »