Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default My Mini 10 is soooo SLOOOOOOOW - 11-13-2009, 05:25 AM

I just got a Mini 10 with 1GB, XP, 160GB drive, TV tuner, Bluetooth, and McAfee. I've removed everything from the Startup menu. I've only installed Office XP and Photoshop. But this Mini just crawls. For example, Firefox takes 4 minutes to load. Is this right? Word takes 2 minutes to load. Is McAfee the problem? Can anyone help?
  (#2) Old

Send a message via Skype™ to Jyaneko
Default 11-13-2009, 05:33 AM

My mini 10v takes FOREVER too! It takes over 5 minutes for it to restart or shut down and the McAffee, when it runs makes it take even LONGER for programs to run. Whats up with that?
  (#3) Old

Default 11-13-2009, 11:18 AM

I just bought 2 mini's and I left one factory (wife's)
and replace the drive in mine to a WD 500 gig ,
loaded Windows 7 Pro 32 bit and placed my wifes
with XP next to mine and It is amazing how much faster
mine boots and run smoother then hers now. I will be dumping
XP on here as soon as I can get another Windows 7 License.
I also noticed yesterday that hers will not even shut done when
trying to turn hers off now. I have to hold the power button down.
Her system maybe has about 1 hour run time on it.
Jeff

(2) Dell Mini 10's, Alpine White,2GB RAM, Product Red, 1GB RAM, 500GB Drive (both), TV Tuner, Bluetooth, 1.3MP Camera, 1366x768 High Def Screen, 6 cell Battery, Windows 7 Pro.
  (#4) Old
Founder

Send a message via Skype™ to Dunhamzzz
Default 11-13-2009, 11:56 AM

These both seem very weird. Even with XP my Mini 10 was THAT slow. I never did have any anti-virus software tho.

Personally I'd advise against anti-virus software if you know what your doing when it comes to downloading and handling programs. The only thing it will do is slow your computer down a lot.

Try switching to Google Chrome for browsing or at least make sure that Firefox is the latest version.

Another thing would be to reinstall the OS, as that will guarantee get rid of all crapware you don't want. I've done this on all of My minis as soon as I received them.

Please do not send me support requests via PM.
  (#5) Old
Super Moderator

Default 11-13-2009, 12:40 PM

If you do plan to stay with Windows Explorer, and want to try a another anti-virus program or Security Suite, a lot of folks (including myself) have been quite impressed with Microsoft's free Security Essentials offering.... indeed there is whole thread on this subject already. It is interesting though that you both appear to be using McAfee at the moment!

If you are going to change do make sure that you fully uninstall any existing AV programs first though, and never run two at the same time, or that WILL slow you system down!

As Dunham has just said though, this is certainly not 'normal' behaviour, and a new installation of Widows 7 is indeed one way to (hopefully) overcome the problems you are both experiencing.

Good Luck!

Mini 10v - Product (RED) - BIOS A06 - Ubuntu 11.04 - 2GB RAM - 60 GB OCZ Vertex SSD - Bluetooth - Intel 6205 Wi-Fi - WWAN
  (#6) Old

Default 11-13-2009, 04:40 PM

I know I'm always beating a dead horse here, but what I would do is to reinstall a nLited version of Windows XP to strip out all the crap (if you don't want Win7 quite yet). Also, check to see exactly in nlite, and I do mean EXACTLY what you need and don't need.

AV scanners are a plus, but a small client of one will lead you the right way. I don't recommend McAffee at all.

Dell Inspiron Mini 9 / Custom XP Pro SP3 / 2GB Mushkin RAM / 4GB Stock SSD / Mini BT USB Dongle / 16GB Class 6 SDHC
  (#7) Old

Default 11-14-2009, 02:21 AM

thanks guys, all your replies have given me some hope. My spirits were pretty depressed thinking I had to live with this pathetic "performance"

before I start tinkering, here's some timings for your consideration (launch to completed window):

Windows Explorer: 20 secs
Firefox 3.5: 45 secs
Start, control Panel: 55 secs

I think I'll remove McAfee and time these again. I'll report back. Thanks all!

Pixar, would appreciate it if you can you time your wife's Mini for these 3 programs? Are you local as in Pixar Studios?
  (#8) Old
Administrator

Default 11-14-2009, 01:25 PM

Firefox start time is absymally slow even on a Core i7 system. This is something Mozilla says will be addressed in 3.6.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#9) Old

Default 11-14-2009, 07:48 PM

Hi, I tried a number of different anti viurs software and came up with the new FREE security centre. I have alos just done a complete re-load as I have been running W7 for some time and tried a number of different drivers but now Dell have a load I did a re-load with only Dell drivers and it is great very quick for a small low power unit. I just wish the BBC iplayer would work as I want to use this when traveling.

Dell Mini 10 Win 7 U | TV tuner | 3G built in | HD | 160GB 5400 HDD | Office 2010 Beta | Shame the GPS isn't much use

This is the best Travel mate I have had!
  (#10) Old

Default 11-14-2009, 09:22 PM

Hello it is my first time here when I bought Mini 10 2 months ago it was nice netbook anyway I immediately uninstall mcafee av and installed low resource Avir Antivirus which is free for home use. I dont see any slow down on windows xp also I have tweaked registery to improve performace like core 2 duo

« T-Mobile UK on Dell Mini 910 | TV tuner on dell mini 10v »