Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default Ghost image install help again - 11-09-2009, 07:42 PM

I have the 3 disc set from DELL The first disc took 3.5 hours to complete,Now I am asked to insert the second disc,I do, it wont run. it states choose browse and asks to choose a file to run.The file name is blank,below it is a bar with types of files they are GHO, GHS, IMG, RAW and *.
Can someone please tell me how to get the second disc to install?? I would imagion the third disc will be the same? If I can only install the second now to keep the install rolling???
There are no file names on the disc set only disc 1, 2 and 3.
So I guess I need a file name to run the second disc???
  (#2) Old
Administrator

Default 11-09-2009, 08:36 PM

You had a similar problem before, yes? I think the second disk is corrupted. Can you view its contents on another PC?

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#3) Old

Default 11-09-2009, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmes4 View Post
You had a similar problem before, yes? I think the second disk is corrupted. Can you view its contents on another PC?
Just got off the phone from Dell support,,Now I'm told the 3 disc set isn't for the mini,They dont work with the mini, there meant for 4 other laptops? But NOT the 9
I was told to reinstall from the OS disc Win XP SP3.
I cant even boot the mini now! I get the error missing hal.dll.reinstall the file??? So how do I reinstall?? I cant boot off the XP install disc in my disc drive I get the same error.
Yes I have it on a older dell the contents of the 3 disc set Should I look for something special?
  (#4) Old
Administrator

Default 11-10-2009, 12:19 AM

Your Mini 9 should have come with a single OS restore disc - it is not a standard XP install disc.

First - do you have any USB keys or media other than the DVD drive connected when trying to boot the restore CD? Are you sure the CD is booting? Start the Mini. When the Dell logo appears, press the 0 (zero) key. It should then give you a list of devices to boot from - select the CD/DVD option and you should hear the CD spin up.

Steve
  (#5) Old

Default 11-10-2009, 01:25 AM

I do select boot from CD/DVD and yes it starts to spin but I then get the message cant boot missing hal.dll.the disc spinning stops, I get this message on normal boot,CD/DVD boot,I tried safe mode even tho I'm not sure it would do much.
I do have a SSD coming but I would like to get this operable and find the reason hal.dll is missing??
Nothing else in the USBs no media just CD?DVD drive with the disc from dell Reinstall Dell OS
  (#6) Old
Administrator

Default 11-10-2009, 01:44 AM

Try this. Go into the BIOS settings (press 2 on boot) and select the option to reset everything to defaults. Then try booting the CD again.

Steve
  (#7) Old

Default 11-10-2009, 02:22 AM

Pressed 2 went to BIOS Pressed F9 to set defaults,pressed yes.system went to Dark screen and yet states, Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt
<Windows root>\system32\hal.dll.
Please re-install a copy of the above file
Cant install anything without booting from CD/DVD or USB??? Right?
OK I just retried it,It started to boot! then I get the dark screen stating
Line 1 of the INF file \$WIN_NT$.~BT\winnt.sif is invalid
Setup cannot continue.press any key to exit
Thanks for the time! some progress What can I do now?
  (#8) Old

Default 11-10-2009, 02:24 PM

THANKS for the help holmes4! I contacted DEll support and was told once hal.dll was missing the SSD needs more work than they could do over the phone.I'm sending it in for reprograming.
So mini 9s cant use the ghost copy they will corrupt the SSD by not fully installing the 2nd and 3ed disc in the set of 3.
  (#9) Old
Administrator

Default 11-10-2009, 06:18 PM

It sounds as if your SSD is defective.

Steve

« Hello everyone!! | NEW SSD Do I install from DELL OS DISC »