Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default Ion talk? - 11-09-2009, 05:11 AM

I was considering picking up a Mini10v (winXP) and after doing some searches and reading online, I keep seeing people mentioning that they want to wait for the release of the Ion processor.
What's the difference between the Atom and the Ion?

I'm not in any dire need of a laptop at the moment, so I don't mind waiting if the Ion is that much more better.

So thought I'd ask her for some opinions and advice, thanks.
  (#2) Old
Super Moderator

Default 11-09-2009, 06:11 PM

Welcome to MyDellMini!

I was not aware that Dell had announced their intention to release an Ion based Mini yet, so I have a feeling you might be in for a bit of a long wait.

One of the the trouble with buying new computers is that there is always something bigger and better 'just around the corner' as it were.... but not necessarily cheaper unfortunately... especially not just after it's initial release.

It will be interesting to hear what others have to say on the subject though!

Mini 10v - Product (RED) - BIOS A06 - Ubuntu 11.04 - 2GB RAM - 60 GB OCZ Vertex SSD - Bluetooth - Intel 6205 Wi-Fi - WWAN
  (#3) Old
Guru

Default 11-09-2009, 06:56 PM

The Ion is not a CPU. It's a platform that pairs a comparatively powerful nVidia graphics chip with a regular Atom CPU. More info at Wikipedia.

A Ion netbook should be much better at 3D gaming and at HD video playback than a netbook with a Intel graphics chip. But virtually all other software won't see an improvement. Web pages won't render faster, spreadsheets won't open faster, etc.

Mini 9 | Intel 5100 Wifi | Ubuntu 10.04 Netbook
Mini 1012 | SSD | Intel 6200 Wifi | Ubuntu 11.10 64bit
  (#4) Old

Default 11-10-2009, 04:20 PM

Welcome to the forums! To further satisfy your curiosity, HP released a netbook with Ion. And Reflex is correct, if you do not wish to play 3D games on your netbook or HD Video, then Ion wouldn't help you.

And again, welcome to MyDellMini Forums.

Dell Inspiron Mini 9 / Custom XP Pro SP3 / 2GB Mushkin RAM / 4GB Stock SSD / Mini BT USB Dongle / 16GB Class 6 SDHC

« Need getting all of the non-essential crapware off of Mini 10V | Hello everyone!! »