Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default 10v Display gone VERY low res when bootup?? Any advice? - 11-08-2009, 10:21 AM

So I turned on my 10v this morning and noticed the resolution is MUCH lower from the DELL startup screen all the way through to my desktop.

I haven't made any changes - also know this because even the BIOS is cut off at the bottom.

What could have caused this?

Mini 10v running A05 BIOS

---------- Post added at 12:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:13 PM ----------

Windows 7 boots into 1024x768 so the bottom of thhe screen is cut off.

I did a clean install of win7 to try rectify this and still stuck on 1024x768
  (#2) Old

Default 11-08-2009, 11:13 AM

Could the display cable have come loose?

Mini 9 | 2 gigs memory | 64 gig SSD | 10.6.7
Mini 10v | 2 gigs memory | 500 gig HD | BT | 10.6.3 & Windows 7 Professional Dual Boot
  (#3) Old
Super Moderator

Default 11-08-2009, 05:54 PM

Have you tried upgrading the Intel Graphics drivers which can be found on Dell's Driver update page for the Mini 10v?

They are quite a new version, and should default to the correct resolution automatically.

You might even like to upgrade your BIOS to A06 also, which is on the same page, together with several other recent updates.

Mini 10v - Product (RED) - BIOS A06 - Ubuntu 11.04 - 2GB RAM - 60 GB OCZ Vertex SSD - Bluetooth - Intel 6205 Wi-Fi - WWAN
  (#4) Old

Default 11-08-2009, 07:24 PM

The resolution is 1024x768 from the intial DELL boot screen so it's not relating to the graphic driver for win7/os x.

Also a bit hesitant to update to A06 as I have read of compatibility issues with OS X?

---------- Post added at 09:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:15 PM ----------

Oh my gosh. So formatted the drive - removed OS X & Win7 and reinstalled Win7 to see if that made a difference and nothing. A couple reboots later still stuck with the whole taskbar cut off of the bottom of the screen. Turned if off for a few hours, back on and now its 1024x600.

Just WASTED half a day trying to fix this and now I need to setup my dual boot again.

What on EARTH could have been the problem? I did NOTHING to actually fix it just turned it off and left it for a while. Very strange... I'm worried this happens again while i'm at university and i'm going to have a problem using it when i need it.

(#5) Old
Super Moderator

Default 11-08-2009, 10:15 PM

Pleased to hear that it is working fine at the moment anyway!

Have you 'been inside' it all to upgrade the memory or anything, because as MikePA mentioned this sort of problem can often be caused by a very slightly loose display cable.

On the three occasions I have installed Windows 7, and the latest Intel drivers, the resolution has always set itself automatically at 1024 x 600.

I hadn't realised that you had been set up to dual boot, or I wouldn't have mentioned the BIOS update, for as you say most folks who start off on A06, and who want to install OS X, usually start by 'downgrading to A05 anyway!

Mini 10v - Product (RED) - BIOS A06 - Ubuntu 11.04 - 2GB RAM - 60 GB OCZ Vertex SSD - Bluetooth - Intel 6205 Wi-Fi - WWAN
  (#6) Old

Default 11-09-2009, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montala View Post
Pleased to hear that it is working fine at the moment anyway!

Have you 'been inside' it all to upgrade the memory or anything, because as MikePA mentioned this sort of problem can often be caused by a very slightly loose display cable.

On the three occasions I have installed Windows 7, and the latest Intel drivers, the resolution has always set itself automatically at 1024 x 600.

I hadn't realised that you had been set up to dual boot, or I wouldn't have mentioned the BIOS update, for as you say most folks who start off on A06, and who want to install OS X, usually start by 'downgrading to A05 anyway!

I have upgraded the RAM to 2GB so it could definitely be a loose display cable. Bummer not so keen to open this beast up again! hehe
  (#7) Old

Default 11-09-2009, 07:41 PM

Might also be a heat issue since the problem went away after letting it sit dormant for a couple hours, and even the BIOS screen was acting up. Might want to watch for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattchiro View Post
I have upgraded the RAM to 2GB so it could definitely be a loose display cable. Bummer not so keen to open this beast up again! hehe

Charcoal Black Latitude 2100: 160 GB HD, 2 GB Ram, 1510 Wifi, Bluetooth, Webcam & 1024x576 touch screen -- Dual Boot XP / 7
  (#8) Old
Super Moderator

Default 11-09-2009, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattchiro View Post
That could well be your problem then, but to reach the display cable connection you only have to undo the three screws to remove the keyboard, and then you can see the small narrow connector on the right hand side, up towards the screen.

Sometimes all it needs is a slight push with a fingernail to ensure that it is firmly clicked into place.

I had a very similar problem to you, so if it still persists it is certainly worth a try.

Good Luck!

(#9) Old

Default 11-13-2009, 08:30 PM

Thx montala

« Patriot and OCZ 64GB SSD's | Zagg Invisible Shield Question »