Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default Power indicator flashes blue then red repeatedly Dell 1011 - 11-05-2009, 01:38 PM

Hi guys, Im hoping someone can help me with this problem.

I have had my Mini 1011 for a little over a month and have never used it on battery power. It has been plugged into the wall since I received it. The power indicator light had always been solid blue, that is until about 3 days ago when it started alternating between flashing blue and then red repeatedly.

I can power up, I can get online, I dont see any problems just yet except this flashing light is really distracting. It even flashes when I shut the computer down at night. The only time it stopped is when I unplugged the ac adaptor form the Mini.

Shouldnt the power light stay a solid blue if there is nothing wrong? Is this indicating a bigger problem? Is there a quick fix for this?

I would greatly appreciate any help that anyone can give me, I am a bit of a computer novice.
  (#2) Old
Super Moderator

Default 11-05-2009, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottyboy66 View Post
Hi guys, Im hoping someone can help me with this problem.

I have had my Mini 1011 for a little over a month and have never used it on battery power. It has been plugged into the wall since I received it. The power indicator light had always been solid blue, that is until about 3 days ago when it started alternating between flashing blue and then red repeatedly.

I can power up, I can get online, I dont see any problems just yet except this flashing light is really distracting. It even flashes when I shut the computer down at night. The only time it stopped is when I unplugged the ac adaptor form the Mini.

Shouldnt the power light stay a solid blue if there is nothing wrong? Is this indicating a bigger problem? Is there a quick fix for this?

I would greatly appreciate any help that anyone can give me, I am a bit of a computer novice.
Hi Scottyboy, and welcome to MyDellMini.

So far as I am aware the only time the light starts flashing red is to warn you that the battery power levels are running low, and it is about to shut down, although this obviously shouldn't occur if you are on mains power at the time.

When it is turned off, but still connected to the mains, the light should go out once the battery is fully charged.

I am sure that others will come up with some suggestions also, but have you tried removing the battery completely, and then plugging it back in again, ensuring that it is firmly seated?... just a thought anyway.

It could be a faulty battery I suppose, in which case Dell will replace it for you, but let's wait and see what others have to say first, shall we!

Mini 10v - Product (RED) - BIOS A06 - Ubuntu 11.04 - 2GB RAM - 60 GB OCZ Vertex SSD - Bluetooth - Intel 6205 Wi-Fi - WWAN
  (#3) Old

Default 11-05-2009, 03:35 PM

Q: are you using a battery from the 1010? i swapped batteries for a day with my son and found a similar event occuring. turned out that the 10 battery doesn't seat fully in the 1011 with out a slight trim of the side latch holes. you may want to look at the battery posts that match with your computer to be sure one isn't bent or something. i think your computer is telling you that the battery isn't connecting or charging.

if it's new and stock you should be able to get a replacement from Dell under your warranty.

Mini 10v| Obs. Black| 1GB RAM| 160GB HDD| AO5| OSX 10.6.7
Mini 10v| Ice Blue| 2GB RAM| 160GB HDD| AO5| OSX 10.5.8
  (#4) Old

Default 11-05-2009, 03:57 PM

Thanks guys.

I am using the battery that came with the 1011. I actually unplugged the power cord last night and then plugged it back in this morning and it was registering that the battery had a 94% charge. Thats why I was wondering if it were a battery issue or somethine more.
  (#5) Old
Super Moderator

Default 11-05-2009, 04:16 PM

If you are still getting the flashing red light with a 94% charged, correctly seated, original battery, then it does sound like a hardware problem, which is probably (but not necessarily!) battery related, I am afraid.

Time for a call (or an e-mail) to Dell Technical Support I reckon!

Good Luck!

Mini 10v - Product (RED) - BIOS A06 - Ubuntu 11.04 - 2GB RAM - 60 GB OCZ Vertex SSD - Bluetooth - Intel 6205 Wi-Fi - WWAN
  (#6) Old

Default 11-05-2009, 04:47 PM

I am going to try to reseat the battery when I go home this evening. I got the directions for that off another thread here and I am hoping that works. Im a little frustrated because I have been loving my computer and really dont want it to be a major issue that I have to send in and have repaired.
  (#7) Old
Founder

Send a message via Skype™ to Dunhamzzz
Default 11-05-2009, 07:41 PM

FYI:

When on charge, as the battery hits 100% charge the battery low LED (red/orange light) will alternately flash with the white light a few times.

Please do not send me support requests via PM.
  (#8) Old

Default 11-05-2009, 08:01 PM

Thanks Dunhamzzz but it has been flashing non stop for 3 days now

I appreciate all of the advice I have been given so far, thanks again to everyone
  (#9) Old

Default 11-06-2009, 12:46 PM

I took the battery out and left it out for now and then plugged it back in, and presto, the blinking stopped and I have a solid blue light.

Ill put the battery back in this weekend and hopefully it wont blink again, but this leads me to think it definitely a battery problem and not something bigger.

Again, thanks to everyone for the help and advice.
  (#10) Old
Super Moderator

Default 11-06-2009, 12:51 PM

That sounds good.

Why not leave it plugged in to your Mini all the time now though?

I can't really see why you would want to keep taking it in out, as it does sound as if that might have been the cause of your problem in the first place.

Or am I misunderstanding something here?

« Problems with mini 10 | New Member 10v OSX SL installed 2gb and Intel SSD baby! »