Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default Newbie welcome and question - 11-03-2009, 09:40 AM

Hi,

my brand new 10v has just traveled about 4671 miles and finally ended up in my hands! As a new mini dell owner I would like to say hello to the community and ask (unfortunately!) newbie questions.

1. My v10 came with Win 7 Starter, this version is a crap. I really like the idea of dual booting, I'm think about Snow Leopard and.. that's the question. Do you recommend me a stable, good, old Win XP (SP3) or rather some different distribution of Win 7 (Prof for example). I'm going to use Windows very rarely as my main system is Mac OS X.. I need a fast, stable Microsoft OS which is gonna run all of apps that don't have their version on Mac. So, to sum up, XP SP3 or W7 Prof?

2. It's as well dual booting question, but I'm beginner so I hope this section is OK.. Can I just install Mac OS X and then, when I need, install Windows? I mean I'm gonna erase the hard drive, divide it into 2 partitions, then install Mac OS X. Am I right - can I "continue" after few weeks with installation of any kind of windows?
And if I decide to boot form another HDD instead of USB Stick - is my Dell going to automatically search for any ISO on HDD or the external hard drive need to have ONLY the ISO file?

Thank you very much for all the answers in advance!

L.
  (#2) Old

Default 11-03-2009, 01:49 PM

Welcome!

There is a nice thread on how to do the dual boot - do a search and you'll find it.

As far as which version, xp is plenty stable (being around for so long and all), but if you have a need to upgrade at some point, start with 7Home right off (good compromise of features and cost).

« Just ordered Mini9 | osx 10.6, Ubuntu or Win 7? or all of them? »