Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default osx 10.6, Ubuntu or Win 7? or all of them? - 11-02-2009, 09:44 PM

Just ordered my Mini 10v, with XP home.
I'm usually 100% Mac, but I wouldn't mind playing with Win 7.
I like Ubuntu, I use it more and more on an old PC, to learn...

I will definitely get 2gb of Ram, I ordered the mini with a 160gb HD.

Questions:
performance wise, is one OS faster than the others?
Could I do a dual boot OSX and Ubuntu and no Windows?
Is Win 7 faster than the 2 OS above? Is still faster after installing anti virus/spyware etc?

ahh the options!!!!
Thanks in advance
Federico
  (#2) Old
Administrator

Default 11-02-2009, 10:08 PM

1) Not really
2) Yes
3) It depends

While there may be minor performance differences, I don't advise using this to choose an OS. Instead, look at what you are familiar with, which applications you want to run and what effort you want to put into it. Of the three, OS X requires the most effort to set up, though once you've got everything in place it's ok. (Keep in mind also that your future with OS X may be limited, as Apple appears to be disabling Atom support in future updates.)

You'll have to buy a Win7 or OS X license - cost is about the same if you don't "cheat" and use the OS X upgrade DVD. Linux is free.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#3) Old

Default Thx! - 11-02-2009, 10:39 PM

I think it'll be OSX and Linux... Win7 is the most foreign OS to me and the only one I would have to pay for a lot of money...
The Mini comes with XP home, but I have no interest in keeping it installed.
Thanks again!
federico
  (#4) Old

Default 11-03-2009, 11:04 PM

On the other hand, because you have XP on your mini, you can buy the Upgrade of Win7 for a more reasonable amount.

My mini dual boots OSX 10.6 and Win 7 (RC - the pre-release I had lying around), and they're both brilliant. I installed the bootcamp drivers from the Snow Leopard disk on Win7 and it can happily view the MacOS partition, and vice versa from OSX.

Personally I find that Win7 boots faster, though OSX is my primary OS on my mini. OSX recovers from sleep faster, and doesn't prompt me to log in every time it wakes or starts up, but Win7 does (though it's a configuration thing I haven't changed yet).

OSX prompts for my password more often when apps want to make changes, which is synonymous with Win7's User Access Control, though that is just a Yes/No dialog, so if you have a complicated password like I do, it's a bit nicer. As an old hand to OSX I'm sure you're used to it anyway so it's likely not a big deal.

Both Operating Systems seem similar in terms of reponsiveness once they're running.

All in all, very pleased

(though I can't figure out why my bios settings keep resetting... very annoying)

Mini 10v (2GB RAM, 160GB HD, A06): MacOS 10.6.4 (NBI 0.8.4 'special')

« Newbie welcome and question | Hungry for a hackintosh »