Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default 10v Ubuntu - Can I Downgrade My BIOS? - 10-30-2009, 08:49 PM

I ordered a 10v with Ubuntu, thinking that purchasing a Windows machine was unnecessary since I'm going to be installing Snow Leopard in it anyways.

Looking through the instructions for downgrading the BIOS, I see that the downloadable program needed to do this seem to be a Windows program.

Have I screwed myself? Can I still use this program with Ubuntu?
  (#2) Old

Default 10-30-2009, 09:55 PM

I'm not sure which guide you are following, but this is what I used:
Downgrade your Mini 10v BIOS to A04 (Requires Windows)

In this case, yes, it does require a windows PC, but only to format the USB key and make it bootable with DOS files. Once you have done the formatting step you copy the bios update (A04) from the dell site and drop it onto the USB stick, plug it into your mini, boot off USB and then run the executable.

If you don't have any access whatsoever to a windows PC I'm sure there are other methods, but I don't know them since this one worked for me. Sorry if it's not much help.

Max
  (#3) Old

Default 10-30-2009, 11:12 PM

Thanks for your reply!

On second thought I think I'm going to skip the downgrade and install SL right from my Mac as described in one of the Guides.
  (#4) Old

Default 10-30-2009, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willxiv View Post
Thanks for your reply!

On second thought I think I'm going to skip the downgrade and install SL right from my Mac as described in one of the Guides.
No probs

You've probably got the best idea there, I'm guessing your main Mac PC is probably a great deal faster than the little atom in the mini too, so it will likely take a lot less than the 2-3hrs it takes on the mini, heh.

The main reason I didn't attempt this (apart from the lack of a Mac PC) is that I had no idea how to hook that little notebook hard drive up to USB... Figured it was easiest just to fix the bios

Good luck on the install!
Max

Mini 10v (2GB RAM, 160GB HD, A06): MacOS 10.6.4 (NBI 0.8.4 'special')

« Dual booting Win XP Home and Snow Leopard without wiping my existing partition | Brand newbie, glad to be here! »