Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default Please help mini 9 ghost install problems - 10-29-2009, 09:10 PM

I need some help,I'm less than a novice with computers,If my terminology isn't correct you'll understand.
My mini9 with win XP SP3 was so full it was slowing to a crawl and at times not even working.Through this forum I learned of the Ghost copy supposedly supplied by DELL.I got one without much trouble
As I understood it just put the discs in and it installed itself.I did the first disc it took about 3 hours and then required me to install the second disc in my opticial drive,Which I did I then received this.Cannot open Image file x:stm00001.GHS [dos error: File not found (0x0002) ] (10010). On the screen to continue I went to browse and it showed a message Windows could not start because its missing <Windows root>\system 32\hal.dll.
I tried two times got confused so I went to reinstall from the reinstallation CD sent with the mini 9.It now wont open to reinstall with the same message missing system 32\hal.dll.
Could someone please help with step by step instructions just to get it up and running again with either the 3 disc set ghost copy or the reinstall disc. THANKS dew2
  (#2) Old
Administrator

Default 10-30-2009, 12:03 AM

The error you got from the Ghost install suggests that the CDs you received were defective. The second CD contains a continuation of the saved disk image from the first. At that point, your restore was incomplete and could not be rescued.

The restore CD should work. Are you sure you're setting it to boot from the CD? Press 0 during the initial Dell logo screen and then select CD/DVD. (I assume you have a USB CD/DVD drive.)

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#3) Old

Default 10-30-2009, 01:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmes4 View Post
The error you got from the Ghost install suggests that the CDs you received were defective. The second CD contains a continuation of the saved disk image from the first. At that point, your restore was incomplete and could not be rescued.

The restore CD should work. Are you sure you're setting it to boot from the CD? Press 0 during the initial Dell logo screen and then select CD/DVD. (I assume you have a USB CD/DVD drive.)
Thanks for replying! Yes I have it set to boot from CD/DVD. It opens up saying press any key to boot from CD I do,it states its checking the system then the CD/DVD drive stops and I get a blank screen.I then cant do anything. I've rebooted and the same happens.
  (#4) Old
Administrator

Default 10-30-2009, 02:12 PM

Sometimes external CD/DVD drives need more power than is supplied by the USB port - this can result in flaky performance. If your drive has the option for separate power, use it. Otherwise use the USB port closest to the power jack.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#5) Old

Default 10-30-2009, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmes4 View Post
Sometimes external CD/DVD drives need more power than is supplied by the USB port - this can result in flaky performance. If your drive has the option for separate power, use it. Otherwise use the USB port closest to the power jack.
Thanks again! The external drive works fine, the only thing that it will open is the first CD of the set of 3. Called and talked to DELL Tech support,Their sending a new 8GB SSD. I tried to get them to send a 16GB and I'd pay the difference but I'd rather talk to a ? shoe,board anything other than them to try to sway their policy.
Couldn't they just accept the difference in costs between the 8GB and the 16GB.Oh well I was planning on a larger SSD anyway so I'll get a new 8.Anyone want a 8GB SSD at a lower than new cost??
My CD/DVD is Samsung with duel USB wires for extra power when needed noAC adapter needed.
THANKS You seem like the only one here helpful for me!

« Salutations | Dual booting Win XP Home and Snow Leopard without wiping my existing partition »