Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default Dell outlet refurbs worth it? - 10-29-2009, 12:01 AM

Ok so I'm looking at buying a 10v as I stated in my previous post.....I can get a discount through epp purchase a 10v 1.6 for $279 and 1.66 for 30 bucks more....I was looking at the outlet and with the current %15 coupon, I can get a refurb 10v 1.66 for about 240 bucks.

Basically, I can save 60 bucks going with the refurb.......Here is my question to all those who have bought refurbs.....Can you tell that they are refurbs or do they look new? I have purchased so called refurbs that look all beaten up....Don't get me wrong, they work.......

Just wondering if it's worth saving the 60 bucks also on epp I don't pay shipping or tax......So the savings may be more like 20 bucks when it is all over with so new may be better...
  (#2) Old
Expert Member

Default 10-29-2009, 12:18 AM

I've bought two from the Outlet, a 10 I've had for almost a year now and still going strong, and I just bought a 9. I'll be buying another through the Outlet, either a newer 10, or a 2100, I say go for it, but if it comes down to only $20 diufference, or you can't find one with the options you want, then go EPP.
BTW, Outlet shipping is usually free.
  (#3) Old

Default 10-29-2009, 03:13 AM

Thanks! I scored a 10v 1.66 refurb for 235 bucks. I ran it both ways and the savings was more like 70 bucks over epp..They didn't charge me tax or shipping...Let the 10v hacking begin....Anybody know of some good prices on a 2gb memory stick that works well in the 10v?
  (#4) Old

Default 10-29-2009, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonx View Post
Anybody know of some good prices on a 2gb memory stick that works well in the 10v?
Newegg, Crucial, pick one. They all work well.

Mini 9 | 2 gigs memory | 64 gig SSD | 10.6.7
Mini 10v | 2 gigs memory | 500 gig HD | BT | 10.6.3 & Windows 7 Professional Dual Boot
  (#5) Old
Super Moderator

Default 10-29-2009, 11:09 AM

Both Mini 9's I purchased were from the Outlet and refurb, my first Mini 10v was brand new (because it had just been released), but my new one is from the Outlet. Hell, even my laptop is from the Outlet. No real issues.

Alienware M11xR2 - Core i5 1.06 - 4 GB - 250 GB HD

Triple Boot Guide - 10v RAM Upgrade Videos - mechdrew's OSX guides
  (#6) Old

Default 10-29-2009, 12:58 PM

Agreed...I have an outlet and a new Mini 9 - same quality as far as I can tell. Each has a 1 year warranty. I had the same experience with the IBM/Lenovo outlet (although shipping dates were always dicey with them). I'd feel safe with the outlet.
  (#7) Old

Default 10-29-2009, 05:19 PM

I have 3 Minis;

Mini 9 - Bought from eBay
A90 - Bought new from Dell
10v - Dell outlet

All run fine however cosmetically, the best is the Mini 9 from eBay. The worst, with a nasty scratch on the top, was the new A90. The scratch didn't bother me and since it was for my daughter, who doesn't care about such things either, I kept it.

Mini 9 | 2 gigs memory | 64 gig SSD | 10.6.7
Mini 10v | 2 gigs memory | 500 gig HD | BT | 10.6.3 & Windows 7 Professional Dual Boot
  (#8) Old
Super Moderator

Default 10-29-2009, 05:25 PM

Ther have already been quite a few similar threads on this subject, but as you can see here a lot of folk are more than happy with their 'refurb' units.

Some who have bought 'scratch and dent' models, have not always been quite so lucky though, but I suppose it really comes down to how concerned you are about a possible small scratch or whatever.

My own (personal) thoughts on this matter are that thse models are being sold as refurbs for a reason (which may not be immediately obvious), so I would never therefore be 100% happy with one of these.

This may of course just be that someone tried Linux for half an hour or so... couldn't get on with it, so returned their Mini back to Dell... or of course they could have stripped it down completely several times to see what they could modify etc!

However YMMV!

Mini 10v - Product (RED) - BIOS A06 - Ubuntu 11.04 - 2GB RAM - 60 GB OCZ Vertex SSD - Bluetooth - Intel 6205 Wi-Fi - WWAN
  (#9) Old

Default 10-29-2009, 05:59 PM

Thanks for all the input....As far as the memory, it's the 200pin stick right? Also, is quality of ram really a factor since it is a netbook.....
  (#10) Old

Default 10-29-2009, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonx View Post
Thanks for all the input....As far as the memory, it's the 200pin stick right? Also, is quality of ram really a factor since it is a netbook.....
They are far from fussy (like Apples are notorious for being). I've had no problems upgrading in several with a variety of manufacturers, although I've stayed away from the bottom-end ebay finds - the minimal savings weren't worth the potential hassle.

« upgrading to 10.6 | Problems with mini 10 »