Beginners Questions New to the community? Make your first post here. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default Mini owner going to purchase 10v to tinker with...advice needed - 10-28-2009, 08:06 PM

Hi all,

I recently purchased a mini 10 with high def screen and GPS and 6 cell batttery.....I don't use the GPS but it was part of a package. I was looking at the 10v but the better resolution screen sold me on th the 10....I love my mini 10 but there are only 2 problems......First it seems real slow and if I am using disk intensive applications such as watching a movie the battery goes quick....Now before I get the lecture about how it is a netbook and not a desktop and you have to sacrifice a little, be aware I know that.....I have a i5 quad core, ssd, etc for a desktop so to me the difference is really big.....I got the netbook for the sake of convenience not speed, so I am not displeased at all......This all leads me to some questions....

I stumbled across these forums and now I am convinced as a project I'm gonna buy a 10v.....I am somewhat a tinkerer and like the idea of upgrading it to see how fast it can go and I want to run a dual boot osx...So here are my questions:

1. I have an extra 128GB high speed SSD that I was going to use for a raid on my desktop. It is 220mb/s read and 200mb/s write SATA....Now before I get the lecture...I am looking for speed not storage and I already have it so price is not a factor.....My question is there really a difference in speed for those that have SSDs? Also, I know they are good on power consumption but how much more time will a 6 cell give me if I swap out for an ssd. I am just trying to figure if I should use it on my 10v that I am going to purchase or keep it for my desktop.

2. I want to do the RAM upgrade and probably will but for those who have done it, is there much of a performance boost?

3. For those of you runing Windows 7, is it slower, faster or the same as XP? Also, for those answering this question, do you have 1 or 2 gig. From what I am hearing windows 7 needs 2 gig to function well.

4. I know you can run Snow Leapord on the 10v but how is speed? Given the hardware, is it fast enough to be functional? I mean functional not does it run.....

5. Now another question is the screen. For those of you that have seen the difference between the HiDef screen on the 10 and the regular screen on the 10v, how much of a difference is there....I have really gotten used to the extra resolution.....Will I be pulling my hair out with the smaller resolution?

6. I guess my last question is given my proposal to upgrade to 2gb and the SSD I mentioned above how noticable will the boost be. I am not worried as much about the 2gb RAM. I am more concerned with the SSD choice....Yes I already own it but I am trying to decide if it is worth putting a drive in the 10V that cost more than the computer or should I just use it on my desktop...

---------- Post added at 06:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:14 PM ----------

Oh also forgot to ask another question about the 1.66 option vs 1.6 processor speed....Is it worth 20 bucks to go with the faster one? Will both run osx?
  (#2) Old
Administrator

Default 10-28-2009, 08:51 PM

Windows 7 runs ok with 1GB RAM, but 2GB is better. Most people prefer it to XP.

I would take the faster CPU for $20. OS X doesn't care. OSX seems to work ok on the Mini 9/10v, speed is about the same as Windows 7 from my experience.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#3) Old

Default 10-28-2009, 09:50 PM

The SSD is nice (I had an Intel X25 left over from a project and popped that into a 10v) - it's obviously dead quiet, the (6-cell) battery meter reads 6:45 at unplug on a full charge (I've never run it all the way down, but it goes longer than I have any need for during the day), and I also like to think it keeps things that little bit cooler in there with a 2gb RAM stick.

The HD is a butt-easy swap in the 10's, so pop in your SSD and see how you like it (part of the appeal for me is the perverse nature of the HD costing more than the rest of the machine ).

The 2gb is a nice boost. It runs SL well (IMHO) - does it do final cut? No - it's a netbook (but you know that). It runs all the standard web/internet/officey apps at the same functional speed as my MBP - limited more by the wifi speed than the processor.

My first netbook was a mini 9, so the screen on the 10v was a dream. You'll feel a little cramped on the 10v coming from the 10HD, but if you want to tinker with SL, it's worth the compromise.

Oh, and hit the new coupon code thread in general discussions - currently 15% off at the outlet!.
  (#4) Old

Default 10-29-2009, 01:29 AM

The perverse nature of the HD costing more than the computer is kinda cool...lol
  (#5) Old

Default 10-30-2009, 02:27 PM

I can't answer all your questions, but the ones I answer will be based on my experience with a 10v and a Latitude 2100:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonx View Post
2. I want to do the RAM upgrade and probably will but for those who have done it, is there much of a performance boost?
I have run the 10v on 1 Gig only, and I have not noticed a huge difference between it and the 2100 which has run nothing but 2 Gigs.

Quote:
3. For those of you runing Windows 7, is it slower, faster or the same as XP? Also, for those answering this question, do you have 1 or 2 gig. From what I am hearing windows 7 needs 2 gig to function well.
I have not noticed a performance difference, and I have run Win7 (Pro) on both units. I do prefer Win7 to XP, but have to dual boot XP at the moment due to hardware which has no drivers in Win7 yet. Once that is corrected, I'll be removing XP.

Quote:
Will I be pulling my hair out with the smaller resolution?
I can't say coming from the 10 to the 10v, but I can comment on going from a 22" monitor to the 10v, and also on the touch screen on the 2100. The screen real estate can be cramped at times, but it is really easy to get used to. And whether you have the shiny screen or the matte touch screen, both are clear and really nice to use (smudges on the touch screen aside ).

As an aside, I am very jealous of your SSD. I am waiting on the prices of 128 GB SSDs to come down sufficiently that I can justify buying one (at least to myself). In the mean time, I am using the stock, 160 GB 5400 RPM drive, and it is reasonably quick.

Good luck with your tinker box!

Charcoal Black Latitude 2100: 160 GB HD, 2 GB Ram, 1510 Wifi, Bluetooth, Webcam & 1024x576 touch screen -- Dual Boot XP / 7

« POP3 sans SSL | Salutations »