I recently purchased a mini 10 with high def screen and GPS and 6 cell batttery.....I don't use the GPS but it was part of a package. I was looking at the 10v but the better resolution screen sold me on th the 10....I love my mini 10 but there are only 2 problems......First it seems real slow and if I am using disk intensive applications such as watching a movie the battery goes quick....Now before I get the lecture about how it is a netbook and not a desktop and you have to sacrifice a little, be aware I know that.....I have a i5 quad core, ssd
, etc for a desktop so to me the difference is really big.....I got the netbook for the sake of convenience not speed, so I am not displeased at all......This all leads me to some questions....
I stumbled across these forums and now I am convinced as a project I'm gonna buy a 10v.....I am somewhat a tinkerer and like the idea of upgrading it to see how fast it can go and I want to run a dual boot osx...So here are my questions:
1. I have an extra 128GB high speed SSD
that I was going to use for a raid on my desktop. It is 220mb/s read and 200mb/s write SATA....Now before I get the lecture...I am looking for speed not storage and I already have it so price is not a factor.....My question is there really a difference in speed for those that have SSDs? Also, I know they are good on power consumption but how much more time will a 6 cell give me if I swap out for an ssd
. I am just trying to figure if I should use it on my 10v that I am going to purchase or keep it for my desktop.
2. I want to do the RAM upgrade and probably will but for those who have done it, is there much of a performance boost?
3. For those of you runing Windows 7, is it slower, faster or the same as XP? Also, for those answering this question, do you have 1 or 2 gig. From what I am hearing windows 7 needs 2 gig to function well.
4. I know you can run Snow Leapord on the 10v but how is speed? Given the hardware, is it fast enough to be functional? I mean functional not does it run.....
5. Now another question is the screen. For those of you that have seen the difference between the HiDef screen on the 10 and the regular screen on the 10v, how much of a difference is there....I have really gotten used to the extra resolution.....Will I be pulling my hair out with the smaller resolution?
6. I guess my last question is given my proposal to upgrade to 2gb and the SSD
I mentioned above how noticable will the boost be. I am not worried as much about the 2gb RAM. I am more concerned with the SSD
choice....Yes I already own it but I am trying to decide if it is worth putting a drive in the 10V that cost more than the computer or should I just use it on my desktop...
---------- Post added at 06:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:14 PM ----------
Oh also forgot to ask another question about the 1.66 option vs 1.6 processor speed....Is it worth 20 bucks to go with the faster one? Will both run osx?